Thread: 4GHz Success!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    75c is too warm for my likes but that's still pretty damn good considering you're using a Hyper212+ on a first-gen i7. Good stuff
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Well done on the over clock...

Have you noticed that all the Chip manufacturers got the stock chips to a point (around 3.2Ghz i think) and then went down the dual / Quad / ETC core.. Is there something with the chip designs of today that stops them from making a chip at a higher speed? Makes you wonder what limits the chips to that max speed.

Grats man! Breaking 4ghz is such a nice feeling! My little 920 is sitting happily at 4.2 currently.

Have fun man!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinder View Post
    Well done on the over clock...

Have you noticed that all the Chip manufacturers got the stock chips to a point (around 3.2Ghz i think) and then went down the dual / Quad / ETC core.. Is there something with the chip designs of today that stops them from making a chip at a higher speed? Makes you wonder what limits the chips to that max speed.
    Well it's mostly to do with the fact that it used to be all about who had the higher clock, but once more cores were introduced clock speed became a thing of the past from a development point of view. It's more about architecture now than anything. Take an i3 2100, it's clocked at 3.1 ghz, a Phenom 955 OCed to 4ghz will only beat it in certain applications, and that's taking a dual core hyper threaded cpu against a true quad core. One is simply on a higher level of architecture, we'll see what AMD does with their 32nm APUs, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    75c is too warm for my likes but that's still pretty damn good considering you're using a Hyper212+ on a first-gen i7. Good stuff
    That 75C was at full burn (as the image indicates), however I've since completely replaced the TIM on my CPU from AS5, which was fully cured, to my preferred OCZ Freeze. Idle temps dropped nearly 8C and load temps while gaming dropped about 6C, so all in all I'm at the same temps as when I was at stock 3.07GHz... which is freakin' faaaaantastic. Under full load with Prime95, it tops out at 71C steady. After I did that, I completely vacuumed my case and dusted my fans (anti-static vacuum ftw), though temps on the CPU stayed about the same, total system temp dropped about 3C, not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Just wanted to point out, the Barton core was an Athlon XP core, the last one before the first Athlon 64's. There was never a dual core Barton chip.

You are thinking of either Manchester, Toledo, Brisbane, or Windsor.
    I could have sworn that the 4600+ was a Barton CPU, but I suppose it was a Windsor after looking it up. Thanks for the catch. I had that thing in my old TK Tsunami Dream case... was a nice case.

Edit: The damn thing is still going for $120... crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Well it's mostly to do with the fact that it used to be all about who had the higher clock, but once more cores were introduced clock speed became a thing of the past from a development point of view. It's more about architecture now than anything. Take an i3 2100, it's clocked at 3.1 ghz, a Phenom 955 OCed to 4ghz will only beat it in certain applications, and that's taking a dual core hyper threaded cpu against a true quad core. One is simply on a higher level of architecture, we'll see what AMD does with their 32nm APUs, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.
    Have you seen AMD's new Llano processor for laptops? It's pretty phenomenal when it comes to gaming, but poor at the number crunching of CPU-intensive tasks. Perhaps Bulldozer will be the antithesis of Llano? It's going to get very interesting, IMO.

Thanks again, everyone! I've actually noticed a slight increase in FPS in some games as well, and games running smoother overall. Now, I just wish my 6870 didn't sound like a jet engine...
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-06-27 at 04:59 AM.

Grats on the 950 4ghz club(a little late but I've been busy today). I don't have any screenshots of the burn test from back in December, it ran for 18 hours and no bsod. Wish I could back my voltages off a little, but I didn't want to be sitting at 4.0. I wanted to be 4.X(anything but a zero) So I went to 4.1 @ 75 max temp under full load. That's fine though because this PC will never see 100% load.

My 950 stats are in my sig.