10+ Year Old Account

Lifespan of an SSD?

My small upgrade project turned into a mammoth overhaul, and I wanted to get an SSD to load Windows 7 onto (just for Windows 7). However I'm unsure of the reliability of an SSD drive and wonder if I should just wait on it. Do any of you have any personal experience (good or bad) with an SSD? Brands to avoid? Someone had said in one of my threads that a 60GB drive would do it, a friend of mine said that 80GB is the way to go...

Thanks in advance guys You're the best.

Intel specs their drives to last something like 5 years if you're writing 20GB per day to the drive.

80-120GB would be my choice if you can afford it.

Assuming an average life (IE no freak accidents) an SSD under commercial use will last give or take 3-10 years.

As far as size goes 60 gig is more than large enough to put an OS on (and still have room for a couple of games). That said for sanity's sake I'd save your current HDD, or grab a cheap internal/external one just to store data on because it can eat space up quickly and does not require fast read/write times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, I guess I've just heard too many horror stories. I may wait on it for a little while, just until things get a little more affordable and they inevitably work the kinks out of them [SSD's]. Right now I've got three hard drives, the new build will have a much faster 6 core cpu than the quad core I had as well as more / better RAM.

Thanks again for stopping by my thread

Deleted
    The very first SSDs really were a bit dodgy in some regards. But the newer generation ones are fine, especially since TRIM support has become a standard.

An SSD in everyday use should last you up to 10 years, unless you use it in some excessive fashion. 40 GB will probably suffice for an OS, 60 GB is better. 80 GB would allow you additional space for your favorite games, which to be fair, don't benefit a huge deal from SSDs (unless they have a lot of load-screens).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid OCZ SSDs sir, high failure rate and they've been putting old/bad hardware into some of the older SSDs, making them not what they used to be.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water