Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will SWTOR be as computer friendly as WoW?

when Swtor releases i've decided that im going to unsubscribe from WoW and start playing SWTOR

but will my computer be able to handle it well?

ive got about 40-60 fps with max setting on in wow.

ive got an AMD anthlon ii processor

a 5770 ati raedon graphics card
    and 4gigs ddr3

and im wondering if even weaker systems will be able to handle it, much like wow

Deleted
    I don't think anyone here knows the system requirement for SWTOR.

From my experience though, and from what I've seen, this game shouldn't require more power than WoW's. And, judging from your system, I'd say you'll definitely be able to play the game at a respectable setting. Maybe even max as your GPU packs quite a punch.

These are all estimates though so don't take my word for it.

They designed the game to work on most computers while still giving it a good looking and unique look. WoW is pretty unoptimized and can still lag on decent computers because of those retarded shadows. I hope TOR will handle it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you please, PLEASE ask this in the main thread. Seriously, we don't need 12 threads about SWTOR.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Could you please, PLEASE ask this in the main thread. Seriously, we don't need 12 threads about SWTOR.
    Yes, i agree also. You didn't need to create a thread just for that. Just ask it in the main thread.

Your computer should be able to run it fine though

I live to cleanse the galaxy of all Republic scum for my great Emperor

WoW is really not very computer friendly at all, have you ever tried turning shadows on? It's dreadfully optimised.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

You've already been correctly guided to the correct location to ask questions but in case you're lazy here is all that we know at this point from a beta tester:

Q. Can you tell anything about pc requirements to play the game on “max detail”? or about the detail they had on e3?

A. I don’t run on max, but it won’t take a very powerful rig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably the same spec that Dragon age II had or slightly less.

Just speculation at this point, wait for comic-con.

Deleted
    We don't know the specific requirements, but according to this leak, and to add to JustintimeSS's post:

Q. What are the system requirements of the game, what is your spec and how well did the game run on it. Could you also list some of the available gfx settings? I'm certain a lot of people are curious about it, especially those who are building a new pc.

A. I’m still rocking a sub-3.0ghz dual core and an older Nvidia card and the game runs great.
    The options for video right now are pretty basic: Resolution, Refresh, Windowed Mode, Gamma, Clip Distance, Shadow Quality, VSync, Texture Quality.
    Source: http://betacake.blogspot.com/2011/06/star-wars-old-republic-exclusive-tester_20.html

I
    guess it won't be that bad...
    Last edited by mmocf7632e0726; 2011-06-22 at 01:18 AM.

i think SWTOR is pretty much deliberately designed to have much the same system requirements as WoW,
    i'm almost sure ive seen or read a SWTOR dev basically state as much at some point in the past.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-06-22 at 01:57 AM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Deleted
    In order for an MMO to reach a wide audience, it needs to run on a wide range of computers. If your PC has a solid GPU and is younger than 4 years, you should be alright. Don't expect to max. details though unless your PC is younger than 2 years.

WoW is definitely NOT computer friendly at all. I'm getting 10 to 20 fps in 25man raids with 1980*1020 and medium settings. Specs are i7 980, 8gb RAM, GTX 480. I can run games like Crysis just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    WoW is definitely NOT computer friendly at all. I'm getting 10 to 20 fps in 25man raids with 1980*1020 and medium settings. Specs are i7 980, 8gb RAM, GTX 480. I can run games like Crysis just fine.
    Something is wrong with your computer. I have a computer that's three years old and I run the game with the exact same settings and I get 60+ frames in raids.

Deleted
    Last timeI checked WoW is one of the most pc unfriendly MMO's out there. I can always run stuff on max, but most people I know can't .

Quote Originally Posted by vazar_da_priest View Post
    when Swtor releases i've decided that im going to unsubscribe from WoW and start playing SWTOR

but will my computer be able to handle it well?

ive got about 40-60 fps with max setting on in wow.

ive got an AMD anthlon ii processor

a 5770 ati raedon graphics card
    and 4gigs ddr3

and im wondering if even weaker systems will be able to handle it, much like wow
    It has good performance scaling, it will run on crap computers as long as you load it in low settings.

Also, welcome to the cool kids club. Gogogo swtor sig to rep your fanboy status.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    They designed the game to work on most computers while still giving it a good looking and unique look. WoW is pretty unoptimized and can still lag on decent computers because of those retarded shadows. I hope TOR will handle it better.
    oh god, WoW shadows, why do they cause SO much lag?

edit: although, i'm not incredibly picky about what my shadows look like, i just would like to know why they cause the amount of lag that they do

Signature by Kenz

25 man raids are heavy on performance because of all the spell effects.

TOR will probably be just as bad when you get into big operations (raids)
    Atm tho ops are 8 player, with 16 player ops likely in the future, so it shouldn't be too bad.

The game is being built around the HeroEngine which was originally designed for the unreleased MMO, Hero's Journey, which was first displayed at E3 in 2005, so I daresay it'll be lower spec machine friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    Something is wrong with your computer. I have a computer that's three years old and I run the game with the exact same settings and I get 60+ frames in raids.
    You are either talking about 10man raids or you're lying. Also, as I said, I can run any other game at decent settings without lag so there's nothing wrong with my computer.

You are either talking about 10man raids or you're lying. Also, as I said, I can run any other game at decent settings without lag so there's nothing wrong with my computer.
    Actually, my previous setup was like that also (if not lower) and it ran at least 40 fps in 25 mans. Dunno why, but I find WoW to be very random with its spec friendliness. E.g. When I had a HD4850 crossfire setup it would run awful (2-15fps) in major hubs and flight points in Northrend.