Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Shadow or disc for leveling?

Im sorry, i know this must have probably been answered a million times but i can't find any posts made after 4.0
    I'd really like to know which one is more effective and fun to you while leveling, either disc or shadow.

Deleted
    Shadow with offspec discipline at 30 to heal dungeons. But they are both considerably slow compared to other classes

Deleted
    A damage dealing spec or a healing spec ?

Isnt a hard choice is it Shadow !

Deleted
    Disc, while doable, is still a long way behind shadow for levelling, unless you're healing dungeons.

shadow

10chars

disc is faster up until the point where you can get shadow form.

I leveled my priest to 80 in holy spec (that was bloody hard) and to 85 as Disc, which was ok until level 84 when you are questing in Twilight highlands, quests there are really hard to do even as Disc, lots of drinking, trips from the graveyard and very slow progression.

Later I leveled a protection Warior, well the difference was shocking. The ease with which you cut through packs of mobs is an enormous contrast with the priest.

I would say until lvl 40ish leveling shadow can be annoying because they don't have a lot of mana regen options low level which can make it frustrating. You can also check out my Beginner Priest Guide for more info about leveling a priest

Deleted
    With disc I lvl'd my priest alot faster then in shadow, you're not going oom, you heal yourself with smite (can keep a group alive in an instance while being top dps)
    And penance deals alot more damage then mindflay, i specced shadow for questing and holy for healing in instances on lvl 60 cuz then it started to change, mindflay did more dmg then penance, and you couldn't keep your group up with smite, so i guess disc is alot better for lvling till 60

Go Shadow. Upon receiving Shadow Word: Death get 2 IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT Glyphs.

These glyphs are: "Shadow Word: Death" and "Spirit Tap." Couple this with Masochism talent after your 40s and you will have a really fun game of Dot, dot, death. You watch your mana go BYE BYE and then watch it come right back. It's kind of fun and when you get a nice killing quest it can certainly make leveling as a priest a whole new experience! See how well and long you can keep your mana up without the use of Evangelism or Dispersion (which you get much later). For even funner times see how well you can keep your spirit tap buff up without clipping it too much.

After awhile I was barely drinking. You'll use SW: Death as if it's your priestly version of Life Tap -.-

Shield- Dot. Dot. Dot (3 mobs up- more when you get used to it). When a mob reaches <25% SW: Death (Twice if you have to!)

As always, take the time while leveling to learn your class. =) Have fun and don't take shit from nobody!

The level for those is level 32. But it would also mean giving up some other glyphs. I'd still say level 40 is about the point where shadow would be less painful. Especially if you plan on doing a fair amount of dungeons where getting a killing blow with sw: death isn't always possible. However, duelspec is available at level 30 these days so no reason to not try both
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-06-22 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't type coherently today

Deleted
    Shadow, and yeah, it gets better after 60 xD

Im lvling as holy right now (10-50) and is really easy and quick if you have the heirlooms, get the buff from the festival and only do randoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling is so quick and easy these days. the 'best' spec is always the one you find most fun. Try out each spec and see which one you enjoy the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    For fun and quickness: Discipline until DoubleSpec. Then off-spec Shadow and see for yourself what you enjoy (or what will you play at 85) enjoying the fastes ques as both roles in dungeons. Also I didn't find leveling as Shadow that fun until at 81 I got Mind Spike, awesome fest with 3xMS + 1MB, easy spamable killing in Cataclysm areas, mobs don't even touch you, no drinking ever (with Dispersion glyphed and other talents/cds).

Deleted
    Shadow if you quest.
    Disc if you dungeon.

Deleted
    lvln as shadow past lvl 40 its almost like lvln as a tank, u can just pull so many mobs, dot them all and watch em die, so much fun, and so much faster than lvln as disc

I just got to NR with my priest and really starting to notice Disc pull head. More survivability and things die quicker because you're more bursty as opposed to shadows, dot, dot, wait.... dead approach. NR doesn't have a lot of quests with multiple mobs standing all around together for the mass dotting leveling of shadow to shine as much as it could. Its mostly go here, kill him, come back.
    Last edited by CJack14dt; 2011-06-27 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently started WoW again and am leveling a priest as well.

I usually prefer shadow, but currently (level 45) I am leveling Discipline because I'm killing things faster and using much less mana.
    Which is weird, considering I've never had mana problems until the 60's as shadow in my experience. >.<
    Do or do not. There is no "try."
    -Yoda

Disc Priest is best with atonement until @ higher levels, Shadow aint that fun without some of its core abilities =/