was wow always having problems ?

i have only been around a few months before cata release in wow so i dont know what happened in the past. in cata there is heaps of imbalance around pvp and pve. a guildy said arena ruined wow because blizz were nerfing and buffing classes to keep balance. still, some are op and some up. is this some of the reasons why people are quitting lately ?

There always have been and always will be imbalances. Back in vanilla rogues were gods in pvp. They could kill anything except warriors, which were the complete anti-rogue. I dunno that's the most memorable thing to me. Every single rogue vid in vanilla had to have the rogue killing a warrior to make it legit.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There have always been class imbalances and issues within the game since it was released. Anyone who tells you otherwise was either not around to experience classic gameplay or has some severely rose tinted glasses. People may not agree with or like the arena (myself included), but it has hardly been the cause of every single class balance issue. If anything, the Arena has brought classes closer together in terms of balance. People may not like the buff/nerf roller coaster, but at least the devs are making an effort to keep things somewhat equal.

It´s not the reason imo, it was always like that. Ppl are just overreacting imo, its not really bad with balance and other shit. As far as I can say ppl were quitting because of lack of content. I really hope blizz will coem with content more often when STWOR and GW2 will hit - that´s the reason why they are holding content imo :-)

There have always been balance issues and there will always be balance issues. Truth is things have improved with the occasional ZOMFG Blizzard from the community when they come out of left field with a change now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayure View Post
    There have always been class imbalances and issues within the game since it was released. Anyone who tells you otherwise was either not around to experience classic gameplay or has some severely rose tinted glasses. People may not agree with or like the arena (myself included), but it has hardly been the cause of every single class balance issue. If anything, the Arena has brought classes closer together in terms of balance. People may not like the buff/nerf roller coaster, but at least the devs are making an effort to keep things somewhat equal.
    Indeed, anyone who was around during Classic and says the game is less balanced now needs to take off the rose-tinted glasses, back then, a Shaman (of any spec, including Resto) was able to faceroll through an entire Alliance team in WSG or AB, Ele/Resto just used FROST SHOCK and Chain Lightning, and Enh used WF proc'ing WF. Here's a prime example:

A well played (and well geared) Ret Paladin was also a wrecking ball of holy vengeance:

Arena may have helped to balance out classes in PVP, but the constant nerfs/buffs that are the result tend to piss off a lot of PVE'ers (myself included), because it is constantly messing with things in PVE that are working just fine.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-06-22 at 01:26 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ah Unbreakable, the hero of a shaman's long forgotten past.

Blizzard is nerfing and buffing classes according to the current content. This is how this game works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    i have only been around a few months before cata release in wow so i dont know what happened in the past. in cata there is heaps of imbalance around pvp and pve. a guildy said arena ruined wow because blizz were nerfing and buffing classes to keep balance. still, some are op and some up. is this some of the reasons why people are quitting lately ?
    There has always been "problems", there is "problems", there will always be "problems". Nobody is ever happy it seems. And even when Blizzard makes something new, people will look for problems. Go make your own game then and you can see how easy it is. People like you are a problem. Troll.

---------- Post added 2011-06-22 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    It´s not the reason imo, it was always like that. Ppl are just overreacting imo, its not really bad with balance and other shit. As far as I can say ppl were quitting because of lack of content. I really hope blizz will coem with content more often when STWOR and GW2 will hit - that´s the reason why they are holding content imo :-)
    You sir, are correct!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    B3w]

A well played (and well geared) Ret Paladin was also a wrecking ball of holy vengeance:
    That video is about someone abusing the Reckoning(Protection) talent which was majorly buffed back then. It gave you a chance on being hit to gain a stack of the Reckoning buff, which allowed you to do a double attack for each stack. It could stack infinitely, and it came down to a Paladin "three-shotting" Doom Lord Kazzak - a world boss - after which it was quickly fixed.

EDIT: PvP has always been unbalanced, it's impossible to balance so many different classes and specs to do completely the same damage. Arena actually helped to make it more balanced, because in Vanilla, it was just crazy as seen in those videos.

And to the person further up: Warriors were the anti-Rogues, but only as long as they either had the PvP trinket or the Rogue wasn't very good, seeing as there was no diminishing return on stuns and Rogues could keep anyone stunned extremely long like that.
    Last edited by mmocad36d6f61e; 2011-06-22 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonMeyer View Post
    That video is about someone abusing the Reckoning(Protection) talent which was majorly buffed back then. It gave you a chance on being hit to gain a stack of the Reckoning buff, which allowed you to do a double attack for each stack. It could stack infinitely, and it came down to a Paladin "three-shotting" Doom Lord Kazzak - a world boss - after which it was quickly fixed.
    I thought it was made after the hot-fix, but you're right, I can't find any legit level 60 Paladin PVP videos, they're all of twinks!

Edit: I found a better one, put it in my OP.

Yes wow has always had problems and for a long while they were much worse than anything now. Players just did not know any better, in vanilla for example, and didn't complain. In vanilla alliance raids did not even have bloodlust or heroism in any form. That should give you a taste of the past problems.

Quote Originally Posted by aspirant34 View Post
    In vanilla alliance raids did not even have bloodlust or heroism in any form. That should give you a taste of the past problems.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither did Horde raids... Wasn't Bloodlust added in TBC? And even then, it only affected the Shaman who cast it. It didn't start affecting the entire raid til 3.0.2

LoLz I would say the "problems" are better off now then they were years ago an example is how gimp'd Feral was in TBC, ya some classes are ahead of you in terms of power never more then 10%-5% but don't ever use that as your excuse because that's a shitty excuse for a Raider or a PvPer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimic View Post
    LoLz I would say the "problems" are better off now then they were years ago an example is how gimp'd Feral was in TBC, ya some classes are ahead of you in terms of power never more then 10%-5% but don't ever use that as your excuse because that's a shitty excuse for a Raider or a PvPer.
    I do hope that was a typo and you mean Vanilla...I successfully tanked my way from KZ all the way to Sunwell Plateau on my bear tank during TBC...even tanked Illidan with his Shear.

On-Topic: WoW changes every time a patch comes out, and people just gotta deal with it. It was ofc much worse in vanilla, as others have posted Shamans could (if the stars aligned) 1shot raid bosses..by having WF proc off WF which procced off WF which procced off WF..you get my drift. Another OP thing I very vividly remember was a druid's Rejuv. I will never forget the numbers - in half T2/half T3 gear, I had 4.3k HP unbuffed as a resto druid and my rejuv (with Hibernation Crystal popped, +350 healing for 15 secs) ticked for 526 HP/tick. Yes, that's half a thousand life every 3 seconds when my total HP pool was under 4.5k.

During raids, I used to raid with an RL friend who played a lock. When he went OOM, he had a macro which would whisper me "REJUV ME MOTHER#&%&#^" and I had a macro which would instantly target him and Rejuv him, then switch back to my previous target. He would go from 0 mana to full, and my rejuv would heal up all the HP he used to get mana back. Rejuv was OP stuff I tell ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither did Horde raids... Wasn't Bloodlust added in TBC? And even then, it only affected the Shaman who cast it. It didn't start affecting the entire raid til 3.0.2
    It was a group-wide buff until WotLK came. In BC, shamans would be rotated through the DPS groups in order to have Hero/BL up on your best DPS for as long as possible during an encounter. The more shamans you had, the better for your raid-DPS. In WotLK, it became a raid-wide buff with the Sated/Exhausted debuff preventing that Hero/BL be used more than once in your average boss fight (unless someone died and you push the button for them once more - or the fight just takes ages... which is rare but will probably happen again at some point).