My build:

AsRock mobo H61 DE/S3
    Intel i5 2500 CPU
    Asus ENGTX 460 DirectCU GPU
    Cooler Master Elite 430 case
    Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Reader
    WD 500gb Caviar Black
    Corsair 500w CX PSU

I plugged everything in correctly the first time, I did not have the GPU when i did that, it booted up, i put in a windows cd, and then it would ask me to press a key. I did this and it repeated to spam the message that i had to press a key each time i actually pressed one.

Then arrived my GPU, i put it in correctly but this time the computer wouldn't even give me any video output, on top of that the computer restarts every 5 seconds by itself.

I put it off and i hear a sound like something is sizzling, coming from the PSU/motherboard area.

Today i wanted to try it without a GPU in, so I got it out, plugged in everything and....this time it wouldn't start up completely, i checked everything, if everything was plugged in good and if the power button on the PSU was right etc.

Now i think its my PSU, i have heard bad things about the CX series of Corsair, how they are overrated and stuff. Like the 500w is actuall a 450w.
    It's all over the internet.

I am about to send my PSU back to the store i bought it from and ask for an Antec Basiq BP500w wich is the same price.

Could anybody confirm what was actually the problem? I reseated the CPU too, but it was already good in the socket.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-06-26 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    Hard to diagnose only by what you said. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXzrCr0RLm4

10+ Year Old Account
    I still persist that it sounds like something is shorting...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It shouldn't be your CPU as it still starts. Did you get any bluescreens?
    I think that your GPU might have fried your power supply but i'm not 100% sure. Best thing you can do is put your power supply in another computer and test if it's actually broken.
    Corsair is usually a pretty good brand, don't know about their PSU's though.

Deleted
    Well im gonna try to replace this PSU, if that doesn't work then we know it's not the PSU.

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 01:36 PM ----------

Also, im not sure if this matters, but while i was screwing in the GPU i dropped a screw in the PSU. I got it out by shaking it around a bit. But i think this might have damaged something too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Well im gonna try to replace this PSU, if that doesn't work then we know it's not the PSU.

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 01:36 PM ----------

Also, im not sure if this matters, but while i was screwing in the GPU i dropped a screw in the PSU. I got it out by shaking it around a bit. But i think this might have damaged something too.
    Nah, PSU's are pretty solid, and as long as there wasn't power running through it, it'd be fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Nah, PSU's are pretty solid, and as long as there wasn't power running through it, it'd be fine.
    Hmm okay...

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 01:42 PM ----------

I just feel that I have blown my money you know, what if I never get it working.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-06-26 at 01:43 PM.

Deleted
    Well, the company said there is nothing wrong with it and its working, yet it doesn't work here.
    Odd..

What if the grounding straps on the ioshio (that metal part where your mobo ports go in) are not behind the ports?

10+ Year Old Account
    IO shield. Not ioshio o.o If it's firmly in place, it's fine. When they send it back to you, try plugging it into a different outlet or something. :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    IO shield. Not ioshio o.o If it's firmly in place, it's fine. When they send it back to you, try plugging it into a different outlet or something. :S
    I did have it in the same outlet as my other computer wich was on, but i don't think that should be a problem?

00:30:20

I guess i misheard >.<

if you heard a sizzling, thats bad...did you see/smell any smoke or anything burning? if you can, check the underside of your mobo, if there are any burn marks, you may have improperly mounted the board...but that seems less likely. what you want to do is get a psu meter, it measures the output of your rails to let you know if the supply is good or bad, its like 10 bucks and totally worth it. What you want to try doing is booting up your computer without the HDD plugged in and without the ram plugged in (separate boots) to make sure its not one of those components. you should hear beeps if you have the memory unplugged. that can help you isolate the issue to components.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarknessofFT View Post
    if you heard a sizzling, thats bad...did you see/smell any smoke or anything burning? if you can, check the underside of your mobo, if there are any burn marks, you may have improperly mounted the board...but that seems less likely. what you want to do is get a psu meter, it measures the output of your rails to let you know if the supply is good or bad, its like 10 bucks and totally worth it. What you want to try doing is booting up your computer without the HDD plugged in and without the ram plugged in (separate boots) to make sure its not one of those components. you should hear beeps if you have the memory unplugged. that can help you isolate the issue to components.
    Nope, no smoke or burning at all. I was real carefull when i heard the sizzling and smelled and looked around real good.