Page 1 of 2
LastLast

buying a new computer

Hello everyone, i have just a couple of questions about building my new computer. the first would be whether the parts im getting are compatible with all the other components. I'm going to buy these:
    - asus p8p67 pro (mb)
    - i5 2500k (cpu)
    - 8gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz cl9 (ram)
    - gainward 570 gtx goes like hell edition (gpu)
    - corsair hx 850w (psu)
    - cooler master 690 II lite (case)
    now, i've heard there are some problems related to this mb with rams higher than 1333 mhz, as it recognizes them at that max frequency and an overclock is needed to bring them to the real 1600 speed. im no overclock expert at all, will i be able to do so by simply changing the clock to 1600, without changing timings and voltages that i never understood about. i'd also like to overclock the cpu to 4.5 ghz (mind i have arctic 13 freezer pro cpu cooler, said to be pretty good), the question would be the same to the ram one.
    i bought that psu to have some headroom for some overclock as i said before, but also will i be able to put another same-model gpu, even at the cost of getting rid of the overclock?

hope someone has the patience to help
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    Hello everyone, i have just a couple of questions about building my new computer. the first would be whether the parts im getting are compatible with all the other components. I'm going to buy these:
    - asus p8p67 pro (mb)
    - i5 2500k (cpu)
    - 8gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz cl9 (ram)
    - gainward 570 gtx goes like hell edition (gpu)
    - corsair hx 850w (psu)
    - cooler master 690 II lite (case)
    now, i've heard there are some problems related to this mb with rams higher than 1333 mhz, as it recognizes them at that max frequency and an overclock is needed to bring them to the real 1600 speed. im no overclock expert at all, will i be able to do so by simply changing the clock to 1600, without changing timings and voltages that i never understood about. i'd also like to overclock the cpu to 4.5 ghz (mind i have arctic 13 freezer pro cpu cooler, said to be pretty good), the question would be the same to the ram one.
    i bought that psu to have some headroom for some overclock as i said before, but also will i be able to put another same-model gpu, even at the cost of getting rid of the overclock?

hope someone has the patience to help
    Lets get started then.

Motherboard is a good solid choice, as is the CPU. RAM is overkill for gaming, 4gb is plenty for your day to day use and any gaming. Your GPU is iffy, gainward don't have a great reputation for quality parts, as is your choice. I'd choose a 6970 over a 570 as they're in the same price range. The PSU is waaaay over kill for a single gpu setup, you'd be better off with a 700/750w unless you plan on running more than one GPU. Case is alright, nothing special but a solid case.

In relation to the RAM, asus boards have a mem ok button, pop in ram, if it won't post/boot just hit it, sets the ram to 1333 and you can just adjust it in their sexy new BIOs. And I'd only overclock to 4ghz, you don't really need the extra 500 for typical gaming, yes it's a performance increase but unless you really need that extra edge, I'd not recommend going near the upper end of air cooled clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    RAM is overkill for gaming, 4gb is plenty for your day to day use and any gaming.
    RAM is currently cheap. If money is not a problem, 8GB is better choice.

The PSU is waaaay over kill for a single gpu setup, you'd be better off with a 700/750w unless you plan on running more than one GPU.
    Except that OP does mention getting more than one GPU...

In relation to the RAM, asus boards have a mem ok button, pop in ram, if it won't post/boot just hit it, sets the ram to 1333 and you can just adjust it in their sexy new BIOs.
    Early Asus P67 boards had various memory problems, but current BIOS version should have it fixed by now. Forcing exact memory timings into BIOS always worked with it, automatic detection, even with the MemOK button failed.

And I'd only overclock to 4ghz, you don't really need the extra 500 for typical gaming, yes it's a performance increase but unless you really need that extra edge, I'd not recommend going near the upper end of air cooled clocks.
    This is a WoW forum, and WoW, especially the raiding part of it will benefit from every MHz you gain in overclocking.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    RAM is currently cheap. If money is not a problem, 8GB is better choice.

Except that OP does mention getting more than one GPU...

Early Asus P67 boards had various memory problems, but current BIOS version should have it fixed by now. Forcing exact memory timings into BIOS always worked with it, automatic detection, even with the MemOK button failed.

This is a WoW forum, and WoW, especially the raiding part of it will benefit from every MHz you gain in overclocking.
    RAM is cheap, but also not needed over 4gb for gaming.

He'd like to put a second GPU, but one 570/6970 is plenty for running any game at good FPS and at a HD resolutions. So I sincerely doubt he'd stick another 6970 in there.

Early boards did, that's all been fixed.

Trying to hit 4.5ghz on air cooled for someone new to overclocking it not advisable, not only because they might screw up but because of the difference in each chip. Some might hit 4.5 no problem, others might have stability issues. All goes down to the binning process.

10+ Year Old Account
    RAM is cheap, but also not needed over 4gb for gaming.

He'd like to put a second GPU, but one 570/6970 is plenty for running any game at good FPS and at a HD resolutions. So I sincerely doubt he'd stick another 6970 in there.

Early boards did, that's all been fixed.

Trying to hit 4.5ghz on air cooled for someone new to overclocking it not advisable, not only because they might screw up but because of the difference in each chip. Some might hit 4.5 no problem, others might have stability issues. All goes down to the binning process.

Umm.. 4.5GHz is a MILD overclock for sandybridge... It's no where near extreme so I'm not sure what the big deal about it is. Sandybridge has a new feature called SVID or Serial VID which has a preset VID based on the multiplier set in the bios making it pretty damn easy to overclock Sandybridge lol. 8GB is cheap enough that its worth buying for FUTURE PROOFING which is what most gamers try to aim for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Umm.. 4.5GHz is a MILD overclock for sandybridge... It's no where near extreme so I'm not sure what the big deal about it is. Sandybridge has a new feature called SVID or Serial VID which has a preset VID based on the multiplier set in the bios its pretty damn easy to overclock Sandybridge lol. 8GB is cheap enough that its worth buying for FUTURE PROOFING which is what most gamers try to aim for.
    4.5ghz on air with that cooler isn't a mild OC, also again some chips struggle, others don't.

RAM is cheap, but just because it's cheap doesn't mean you need it. And future proof it for what? Running two games at once? Running some rendering whilst have PS up and playing WoW?

4.5ghz on air with that cooler isn't a mild OC
    Yes. It is.

4.5ghz on air with that cooler isn't a mild OC, also again some chips struggle, others don't.

RAM is cheap, but just because it's cheap doesn't mean you need it. And future proof it for what? Running two games at once? Running some rendering whilst have PS up and playing WoW?
    Smarter way to save money would be downgrading graphics card to GTX560ti instead of 570, but since money is not an issue, downgrading the RAM is pointless. Future proofing as Saithes said.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account

It is a mild OC. The average 2500K and 2600K can do 4.3GHz on stock air cooling. Not to mention then pushing 4.5+ on aftermarket. I had my 2600K at 4.8 w/ 1.4v on a Hyper 212+ that cost me $20 or so.

Here ya go :P

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/968053-official-sandy-stable-club-post-your.html

Tons of people breaking the 4.5GHz barrier with ease. Many of them are even using Auto SVID.

exactly, 8 gb is damn cheap right now so thats not a problem. and the i5 overclocking sounds really easy from what i've read around.
    my question though was if its all right to simply adjust the multiplier (talking about cpu) to 45x, leaving the voltage and stuff to auto. and same thing about ram, changing directly the frequency to the rated 1600 frequency and leaving voltage and timings to auto. is it a problem? cuz i never understood about voltages and stuff

edit: yes im planning to get another 570 in the future, thats why the pretty powerful psu.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Yes. It is.
    From the reviews of that cooler I've read 4.5ghz would have you running around the high 70's with full load. Not a comfortable place to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly, 8 gb is damn cheap right now so thats not a problem. and the i5 overclocking sounds really easy from what i've read around.
    my question though was if its all right to simply adjust the multiplier (talking about cpu) to 45x, leaving the voltage and stuff to auto. and same thing about ram, changing directly the frequency to the rated 1600 frequency and leaving voltage and timings to auto. is it a problem? cuz i never understood about voltages and stuff
    Yup, it is actually safe now. Intel developed preset VID's for the CPU to run on based on the multiplier selected. As of Intel's last microcode its been fine tuned quite nicely and should produce a viable and safe voltage(up to 1.52v max now).

From the reviews of that cooler I've read 4.5ghz would have you running around the high 70's with full load. Not a comfortable place to be.
    The TJMax is 98C so just like last gen i7's anything below 85C is fine. This is not a damn AMD chip with low-k metal gates and SOI. Quit stating false information please.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-06-26 at 02:48 PM.

You can hit about 40-42x multiplier with auto settings, but to reach 45 and above you will have to tweak CPU voltages a bit. It's not hard either if you're reading proper guides.

RAM does nto need any adjustments if it works right. It should be detected as 1600MHz automatically and run at that speed, regardless of what you set the CPU speed to.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a pretty good guide to get you started on overclocking:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Deleted

edit: yes im planning to get another 570 in the future, thats why the pretty powerful psu.
    Essentially yes, but it's never advisable to go directly to the 4.5 mark. Go in intervals and test, then go higher to make sure it's stable and the temperatures are good.

Ram will be fine with that.

And get a 6970 CF setup so, 6970cf>570sli.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...ty-vs-sli.html

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/11

Some reviews on 6970 and 570.

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 03:52 PM ----------

Yup, it is actually safe now. Intel developed preset VID's for the CPU to run on based on the multiplier selected. As of Intel's last microcode its been fine tuned quite nicely and should produce a viable and safe voltage(up to 1.52v max now).

The TJMax is 98C so just like last gen i7's anything below 85C is fine. This is not a damn AMD chip with low-k metal gates and SOI. Quit stating false information please.
    I stated the expected temperatures, high 70s. It's not a good place to be if you live in a hot area. But if you're fine with it that's cool, I'm just not fond of it.

I'm really tired of all the people that think 4GB of ram is all you need. If someone wants 6 or 8 that's fine, especially for the price RAM is at right now.

Yes. 4GB is the bare minimum.

The more RAM you have the less time your game will be trying to load off of the hard disk meaning the less time you will be loading games and rendering media. Having 8-16 GB will allow that user to do more than just game with that PC. If they want to edit some videos, build maps or use game editors that RAM will come in handy.

I have 12GB for gaming and video editing and couldn't be happier...actually I could..if I had MOAR!

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 03:52 PM ----------

I stated the expected temperatures, high 70s. It's not a good place to be if you live in a hot area. But if you're fine with it that's cool, I'm just not fond of it.
    Oh well, I got liquid now So it doesn't matter... 5GHz with 55C lol

thx for the guides and the advices everyone, gonna help a lot

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas
    And get a 6970 CF setup so, 6970cf>570sli.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...ty-vs-sli.html

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/11

Some reviews on 6970 and 570.
    from what i've read ati's are better at 2500-ish resolutions, and the drivers are simply worse than nvidia's. not my case since i play @ 1920x1080, besides my 570s goes like hell edition are simply too cool (and better )

Deleted
    Oh well, I got liquid now So it doesn't matter... 5GHz with 55C lol
    I is envious@_@ Gief me liquid goodness....

That sounds worse than it did in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredge View Post
    The more RAM you have the less time your game will be trying to load off of the hard disk meaning the less time you will be loading games and rendering media.
    Not true. Games are split into logical parts (usually levels) that are designed to work well so that whole game fits into 3GB RAM of the 32bit OS limitation. High resolution textures are purely optional, and not present in every game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredge View Post
    Having 8-16 GB will allow that user to do more than just game with that PC.
    Win7 Home Premium is limited to 8GB of RAM, 16 won't do anything except dent into your wallet.
    Trolling should be.