1st Time Building a Computer - Need Help

Hey all,
    I have been reading and looking at building a computer for a few months now, but I was not able to buy the parts until now. The problem is - I have no idea what I am doing yet. So far, I have read up on parts, builds, brands, installation, and a lot more. However, I don't want to take someone's suggested build and essentially be a "cookie cutter" computer guy. I want to know the reasons why I am getting the parts, and why I can't switch to something cheaper or another brand. I am limited to the following things right now:

• I cannot spend over $1500 ideally. Cheaper than that would always be better. More than $1500 would be a bit much.
    • The price has to include the build, monitor, keyboard, speakers, windows os, microsoft office product key, and an internet security software product. To put it simply, I need to make sure that the build does not get so expensive that I cannot afford the other essential peripherals and software.
    • The intent of this computer is for moderate gameplay on higher settings for games, such as WoW, SC2, Mass Effect, Civilization V, and Sims 3. However, it is also for school; I need to make sure that I don't overspend on the computer (need some spending money once school starts).
    • I want to be able to play said games on a monitor with HD, and I would hope for a build and monitor that can utilize HDMI.
    • I also have heard SSD is good for loading times and for not hogging HDD space, but you still need an HDD for storage. Would having both reduce the chance of HDD failure, since the SSD is the one working with games and OS? I have had 5 HDD fails within the last five years, after being told repeatedly that they wouldn't/shouldn't fail that often. I know that I might be the one causing the problems, but I don't know of anything else I can do to prevent HDD failure.
    • I have not seen a need to get a Sound Card if the Motherboard has On-Board sound. If I can shave off $90 for something I don't want or need, I'll do it. If sound cards are more important, then please explain.
    • I have been trying to figure out a build for so long that I am almost starting to consider buying a computer rather than building my own. I'd rather build it just for the experience (and possibly cheaper).

This is a modified build from a website, although you can also look at the Narwhal build to make suggestions or edits (though both are expensive):

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Motherboard - $190
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - $220
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - $44.50
    GPU: XFX HD585XZAFC Radeon HD 5850 - $150 after MIR
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $55
    SSD: Samsung 470 Series MZ-5PA064 64GB - $110
    DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner - $20
    Computer Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case - $90
    Power Supply: Cooler Master GX Series 650W - $90
    Monitor: ASUS VH242H 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - $179 after MIR
    Keyboard/Speakers/Mouse Bundle: Logitech 920-001200 Cordless Desktop EX100 and Speakers S150 - $25
    Windows OS $100
    Microsoft Office $115
    Total: $1389.5 (Prices based on tigerdirect; this is an estimate price, since some of the prices have changed recently)

This build excludes the Sound card the suggested build had in it. The SSD was also added, and I went with a 64 GB one. The Keyboard/Speakers/Mouse bundle was something I found on tigerdirect that seems like a really cheap deal (whether that means they are junk or decent pieces).

The total for the Narwhal would be $1567 (over my limit, but I don't know where I can switch out stuff).

Please help me if you can. I'd really appreciate any help or advice you give. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by mightymuffin2011; 2011-06-26 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Adding Prices to Build - Tigerdirect; Took out Internet Secuirty Software

15+ Year Old Account
    Caught by the moderation filter. Free bump!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymuffin2011 View Post

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
    GPU: XFX HD585XZAFC Radeon HD 5850
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    SSD: Samsung 470 Series MZ-5PA064 64GB
    DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Burner
    Computer Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Cooler Master GX Series 650W
    Monitor: ASUS VH242H 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Keyboard/Speakers/Mouse Bundle: Logitech 920-001200 Cordless Desktop EX100 and Speakers S150
    Windows OS $100
    Microsoft Office $115
    (Random Anti-Virus Software) $40-$70
    Total: $1425 (Prices based on tigerdirect; this is an estimate price, since some of the prices have changed recently)

This build excludes the Sound card the suggested build had in it. The SSD was also added, and I went with a 64 GB one. The Keyboard/Speakers/Mouse bundle was something I found on tigerdirect that seems like a really cheap deal (whether that means they are junk or decent pieces). For Internet Security/Anti-Virus Software, I've only heard of Norton and AVG. I don't know what most people consider the best value software - I don't want to compromise protection by being cheap and getting off-brand stuff.

The total for the Narwhal would be $1607 (over my limit, but I don't know where I can switch out stuff).

Please help me if you can. I'd really appreciate any help or advice you give. Thank you in advance!
    The build is pretty solid,
    No you don't need a sound card, onboard these days is perfectly good,
    I wouldn't bother wasting money on an Anti-Virus, Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good as most propiratary brands, and doesn't bug you every 2 years or so to pony up with some extra money to keep it running, (it's free to all Windows users),
    I can't speak to the Graphics, as I've not had much experience with ATI cards but it looks ok,
    For SSD, you can setup your SSD for caching (With a Z68 board), which will render up to 64GB of it "invisible" but essentially speed up programs you use regularly on the fly, without having to drag them to the SSD. It's also smarter than having the whole program on the SSD wasting alot of space as it only caches the "data blocks" which are regularly used. Have a look at my Thread about Intel's SRT and look at: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/i...ching-review/2 to read up on it properly.
    For the PSU i'm sure you can get a better one for less, alhough I haven't really looked up about Corsair PSU's that much, they all seem very over priced to me. Although I have heard that the TX range is very good, rather than the GX
    It's a shame you didn't post prices for individual components, take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Sata2) which I think is cheaper. Have a check with school, to see if you can get MS Windows Pro for free through the MSDN Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) program. Also look at Digital River for a cheaper copy of MS Office.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-26 at 04:43 PM.

Change the GPU to a 6870, should be the same price for more FPS. (Everyone likes that, no?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Also there's nothing wrong with a "Cookie Cutter" build when it comes to Computers, if it suits your need's it's actually a good thing... It means when something goes wrong it's easier to fix, becuase lots of people will be able to either emulate it the problem, or give you detailed advise on exactly what to do rather than guessing. It also means theres a much better chance someone else has run into the same problem first!

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    The build is pretty solid,
    No you don't need a sound card, onboard these days is perfectly good,
    I wouldn't bother wasting money on an Anti-Virus, Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good as most propiratary brands, and doesn't bug you every 2 years or so to pony up with some extra money to keep it running, (it's free to all Windows users),
    I can't speak to the Graphics, as I've not had much experience with ATI cards but it looks ok,
    For SSD, you can setup your SSD for caching (With a Z68 board), which will render up to 64GB of it "invisible" but essentially speed up programs you use regularly on the fly, without having to drag them to the SSD. It's also smarter than having the whole program on the SSD wasting alot of space as it only caches the "data blocks" which are regularly used. Have a look at my Thread about Intel's SRT and look at: (had to delete URL since I just got an account ) to read up on it properly.
    For the PSU i'm sure you can get a better one for less, alhough I haven't really looked up about Corsair PSU's that much, they all seem very over priced to me. Although I have heard that the TX range is very good, rather than the GX
    It's a shame you didn't post prices for individual components, take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (Sata2) which I think is cheaper. Have a check with school, to see if you can get MS Windows Pro for free through the MSDN Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) program. Also look at Digital River for a cheaper copy of MS Office.
    Whoops - forgot to add the prices to the parts. I'll edit with the prices I've found so far (considering everywhere has slightly different prices - I have only looked at tigerdirect and newegg). Will edit shortly

Also, checked on MSDNAA- my school isn't listed. And I'm not sure what Digital River is - googled it and only found the company website. I'm reading over the SSD caching article; may have questions on it later. Also read your "cookie cutter" comment - you're right, however, I do want an understanding of why those parts are picked. I don't necessarily want to disown cookie cutters, but I want to understand why that build is better than others - benchmarks, opinions, pricing, etc. Very few builds I've seen have provided benchmarks, or comparisons to the other builds (this build will get you high settings on WoW, while this one will get you ultra settings on WoW, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Change the GPU to a 6870, should be the same price for more FPS. (Everyone likes that, no?)
    Another reason I shouldn't have forgotten the prices /sigh.
    The 5850 is $150 according to tigerdirect and OOS according to newegg.
    The 6870 is $170 according to tigerdirect and #200 according to newegg.

$20 more probably isn't that extreme of difference, but as you said probably worth it.

In addition, had another question - the RAM is only 4GB, but I keep hearing 4GB is the minimum, and 8GB is really cheap. Would going up to 8GB be good for this build, or is the 4GB enough?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoops - forgot to add the prices to the parts. I'll edit with the prices I've found so far (considering everywhere has slightly different prices - I have only looked at tigerdirect and newegg). Will edit shortly

Also, checked on MSDNAA- my school isn't listed. And I'm not sure what Digital River is - googled it and only found the company website. I'm reading over the SSD caching article; may have questions on it later. Also read your "cookie cutter" comment - you're right, however, I do want an understanding of why those parts are picked. I don't necessarily want to disown cookie cutters, but I want to understand why that build is better than others - benchmarks, opinions, pricing, etc. Very few builds I've seen have provided benchmarks, or comparisons to the other builds (this build will get you high settings on WoW, while this one will get you ultra settings on WoW, etc).

Another reason I shouldn't have forgotten the prices /sigh.
    The 5850 is $150 according to tigerdirect and OOS according to newegg.
    The 6870 is $170 according to tigerdirect and #200 according to newegg.

$20 more probably isn't that extreme of difference, but as you said probably worth it.

In addition, had another question - the RAM is only 4GB, but I keep hearing 4GB is the minimum, and 8GB is really cheap. Would going up to 8GB be good for this build, or is the 4GB enough?
    Don't rely on MSDNAA to list your school, actually check with your school.
    MS Office 2010 Digital River:
    http://store.digitalriver.com/store?...=1309111298593

The refferal site is:
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...e/default.aspx
    Or
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/#software
    (higher level, shows all software available to students from Microsoft at a discounted price.)

Also, I would highly reccomend getting 8GB of RAM rather than 4GB... you don't NEED it, but if you multi-task alot on your computer, you will notice the difference. If it's not going to break your budget do it now, otherwise it's very easy to upgrade later when your cirtain you need it. Just make sure you bookmark the ram you get.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-26 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You also want a better CPU Heatsink + FAN, I have this on a i7 2600k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065 $49, you can also add another 120mm fan to it. Just be careful when installing it, it is HUGE, put your ram in first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    You also want a better CPU Heatsink + FAN, I have this on a i7 2600k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065 $49, you can also add another 120mm fan to it. Just be careful when installing it, it is HUGE, put your ram in first.
    Whats wrong the the stock fan at stock speeds?

There's nothing really wrong with stock fans set at stock speed but with an aftermarket cooler the CPU will be at a stable lower temperature. Though I wouldn't suggest a CPU cooler separately unless you were planning on OC'ing the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is buying the 2500K which is unlocked, most motherboard will automatically OC it with OC geenie or whatever. If he was buying the 2500 (non K) sure go with stock. But for the 2500K i would strongly recommend something better.

Also, I would highly reccomend getting 8GB of RAM rather than 4GB... you don't NEED it, but if you multi-task alot on your computer, you will notice the difference. If it's not going to break your budget do it now, otherwise it's very easy to upgrade later when your cirtain you need it. Just make sure you bookmark the ram you get.
    I'll look to see if there is a deal on 8GB, but with the price where it is, I will probably stick with 4GB and upgrade in the near future. I'm just happy that some of the costs have gone down. Thank you for the links on MSDNAA/Digitial- was getting confused about that.

Finally got to reading the SSD article - it requires a z86 motherboard (missed that the first time reading your comment). It doesn't look like my motherboard is a z86, but are z86 comparable in price and quality? And would it require a bigger SSD than the 64GB one I have up there? Also, is it saying that I still put the OS and games on the SSD and let it cache, or put the OS and games on the HDD, but let the SSD act as a cache? My head is starting to spin I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    He is buying the 2500K which is unlocked, most motherboard will automatically OC it with OC geenie or whatever. If he was buying the 2500 (non K) sure go with stock. But for the 2500K i would strongly recommend something better.
    Will I see a noticeable difference in gameplay between the unlocked versus the non K? The only MMO I plan to play is WoW (SC2 is a possibility but not a current project). So will OC really put me on the edge for WoW? Or will a normal non-K give me just as much edge? Again, I am still somewhat new to everything - been playing on outdated laptops. I am also somewhat hesitant on overclocking. However, if its really easy with the unlocked processors, I might try it with an aftermarket fan. That might be the big question after I start buying stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll look to see if there is a deal on 8GB, but with the price where it is, I will probably stick with 4GB and upgrade in the near future. I'm just happy that some of the costs have gone down. Thank you for the links on MSDNAA/Digitial- was getting confused about that.

Finally got to reading the SSD article - it requires a z86 motherboard (missed that the first time reading your comment). It doesn't look like my motherboard is a z86, but are z86 comparable in price and quality? And would it require a bigger SSD than the 64GB one I have up there? Also, is it saying that I still put the OS and games on the SSD and let it cache, or put the OS and games on the HDD, but let the SSD act as a cache? My head is starting to spin I think...

Will I see a noticeable difference in gameplay between the unlocked versus the non K? The only MMO I plan to play is WoW (SC2 is a possibility but not a current project). So will OC really put me on the edge for WoW? Or will a normal non-K give me just as much edge? Again, I am still somewhat new to everything - been playing on outdated laptops. I am also somewhat hesitant on overclocking. However, if its really easy with the unlocked processors, I might try it with an aftermarket fan. That might be the big question after I start buying stuff.
    It's a setup and forget deal. And the SSD Cache only supports up to 64Gb at which point any space over that you can use yourself (of course you can configure the Cache to use less space.)
    Essentially the Cache is invisible you don't need to put anything on it and just use your HDD as normal.

Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 (Socket 1155) Motherboard - B3 Revision
    Core i7 / i5 / i3 Support, ATX, DDR3 (max 32GB), 4 x USB3, 12 x USB2, 4 x SATA 6Gb/s, 4 x SATA 3Gb/s, 2 x eSATA, RAID, Firewire, 2 x SPDIF, 7.1 Audio

£119.16 ex vat
    (£142.99 inc vat)

Core i7 / i5 / i3 Support, ATX, DDR3 (max 32GB), 4 x USB3, 14 x USB2, 4 x SATA 6Gb/s, 4 x SATA 3Gb/s, 1 x eSATA, RAID, HDMI, DVI, SPDIF, 7.1 Audio

£133.32 ex vat
    (£159.98 inc vat)