Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising

I purchased this game a few days ago, and I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Before I made the decision, I carefully lurked the forums and checked the current issues with the game. I also read up on future plans and features. Upon browsing the forum, I noticed a ridiculous amount of communication between the developers and customers. Hell, even the CEO posts legit responses to criticisms and complaints. Many of the players are very helpful, and are always assisting others with questions or problems. I haven't seen a group so tight-knit since my old school days on EverQuest.

One thing to mention is that Heatwave picked up the game after the original developers (Perpectual...or something like that) dropped the project. I honestly think they continued with the plans of the game, and didn't try to scrap what was left to start over. The game does look a little dated, but its because Heatwave is going for a better gaming experience. I like that they aren't so preoccupied with graphics. Also, the game doesn't look that bad on higher settings. This isn't a AAA game looking to kill WoW. These people truly have created something that they want to love and take care of.

I'll give a short breakdown of the game:

When you start off the game, you'll need to make a character (of course). There are four current classes, with two planned, and two Deities for each class.

Classes:
    Gladiator (DPS/Tank - Dual Wielding/Sword & Shield)
    - Only class that uses Gloves and Ropes
    - Uses a Combo Point system to maximize damage
    - Chooses between Fortuna and Jupiter

Soldier (DPS/Tank - Two-Handed/Sword & Shield)
    - The iconic tank class of the game
    - Only class that uses Large shields
    - Uses Auras to protect party members
    - Chooses between Mars (Two-Handed) and Minerva (Tank)

Priest (Healer/DPS - Healing/Damage Over Time)
    - Buffs party members with additional healing and threat reduction abilities
    - Resurrects party members
    - Chooses between Juno (Healing) and Pluto (Corruption)

Mystic (DPS - Direct Damage/Damage Over Time)
    - Crowd Control
    - Can self-resurrect himself and others
    - Buffs party with energy-management abilities
    - Chooses between Bacchus (Elemental) and Trevia (Necromancy)

Scout and Nomad will be released soon enough.

Each class has a two talent trees that reflect their Gods, but I believe that they are able to mix 'n match talent trees with God Powers. This means I could choose Necromancy God Powers, but talent into the Elemental tree.

When you chose your Deity, you choose your God Power tree. Each tree has their unique abilities that you'll receive from questing under your respective temple. The animation when obtaining a God Power is freakin' sweet. Your choice of a deity also determines what type of minion you'll receive for continued commitment to your temple.

Upon exiting the starting area, you'll arrive at your Estate (player housing). Now, this isn't just some small house in the middle of nowhere. You'll have an entire valley to yourself. Everything will be in shambles due to an invasion that wrecked it. Its your job to pursue upgrading your Estate to it's former glory. Through the various quests, you'll find yourself upgrading your mansion, garrison, temple, town square, and library. A good bit of the game revolves around this aspect, so you'll always have a quest to upgrade a piece of your Estate. Its cool at the moment, but plans for it are intense. They've announced allowing other players into your Estate, defeating invasions, and a ton of other stuff. Its very, very interesting.

When you exit your Estate, you'll find yourself at two locations: Alban Hills or Tyrrhenian Shores. Both areas are bursting with quests to do, and flow extremely well into each other. Pick up the quests, go to a centralized location where all the quests can be done together, then return to advance the quest line to the next area. The maximum level cap is 30 a the moment, but the questing isn't too fast or too slow. The areas are fairly expansive, but none of them are completely different from each other. There are smooth transitions between heavy vegetation forests and barren sea shores. Its nothing like going from Un'goro Crater to Silithus.

This also brings me to the minions that will be joining your questing parties. Guild Wars rather revolutionized solo play with their henchmen. They weren't the brightest things in the world, but they did their job. The minions in G&H are well scripted, and perform admirably. I'm rolling with Mystic at the moment, but I always carry Infantry and Spellcasting minions. Infantry = Tank, Spellcasting = DPS/Healing, and Skirmishers = DPS. There are roughly 127 different minions in the game. These range from questable humans to exotic creatures. As previously mentioned, you'll also receive minions from your Deity of choice. Players are able to upgrade minions through their Estates.

I haven't gotten to do this yet, but players are able to carry their minions with them into dungeons. This means that 4 or 5 players can run an instance with a total of 18-22 members. Instead of relying solely on a Healer, a player can bring multiple Spellcasting minions in a dungeon to help with the incoming damage. Or they could go the complete opposite and be DPS powerhouse with multiple Skirmishers. The minions will only heal their player, and they will attack only what their player is attacking. I've heard something about minions getting equippable gear, but I'm unsure about that.

Another thing that appeals to me about the game is that there are no stats like Strength, Stamina, or anything like that. The whole game is gear-based. The skills are adjusted well during leveling, but you'll get the most out of them by equipping specific gear. For example, my Mystic loves gear with + Energy and + Spell Damage.

I'm missing an awful lot of things at the moment, but I must rush of to prepare for work. Its going to be a long night... /sigh

EDIT: There is something that makes me giggle rather hard. Different vendors carry unique minions for players to obtain. Since I ordered mine through Steam, I got a Gorpal minion. The thing is, you have to run out to the location of the minion to actually obtain it. A few players are complaining that they aren't able to get their "free" minion right off the bat.
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-06-26 at 10:55 PM.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Is there a subscription required to play it? If so.. I won't bother.

It certainly sounds interesting, but I'm honestly not willing to splash out money on any other game at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Is there a subscription required to play it? If so.. I won't bother.
    The game costs $40 upfront and includes 30 free days upon activation of the GAME. After that, its $10 per month. The best part is the free 30 days upfront. You don't have to activate the subscription to get the free month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    It certainly sounds interesting, but I'm honestly not willing to splash out money on any other game at the moment.
    I do understand. This year has a ton of popular titles releasing and its difficult to take a risk for low profile games. I know this sounds strange, but if you do happen to get some expendable cash, then I highly suggest you give the game a try. I'm really supporting this game due to the love from the community and developers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks alright, but I'm not willing to shell out any money for it (x

Frankly, it doesn't really look alright at all. The environments look bland, the monster models average, the buildings extremely static. If They'd have Assassins Creed-alike graphics, that'd be good. This looks like crap.

Not to diss the Roman empire but I would have chosen a different setting...pre-roman...greek, macedonian...

When I think rome I think war and countless legions of troops slaughtering other countless legions of troops.

It would be great to play a fantasy game set in Mediterranean myths...but Rome is a kind of milemarker of scientific progress and the slow downward slope of mysticism.

Deffinately worth checking out. Any trials/demos?
    Last edited by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve; 2011-06-27 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Not to diss the Roman empire but I would have chosen a different setting...pre-roman...greek, macedonian...

When I think rome I think war and countless legions of troops slaughtering other countless legions of troops.

It would be great to play a fantasy game set in Mediterranean myths...but Rome is a kind of milemarker of scientific progress and and the slow downward slope of mysticism.

Deffinately worth checking out. Any trials/demos?
    Remember, Rome ripped of 99% of their mythology from Greeks. You're basically playing a Greek mythology game with alternative names for the deities. As strange as it may sound, it does work. I've found the areas I've been to extremely enjoyable.

I think the boxes come with buddy keys, but I'll see if I can obtain some through my Steam order. The developers are very nice, and may make an exception.

EDIT: I just remember. The setting of the game is 300-250 BC or something like that. Its mentioned in the opening credits.

I'd really be interested in this i LOVE Roman History, Ive been waiting for a Roman MMO forever but sadly...i would not pay the fee, is it was pay for game and no fee and had a cash shop instead id be fine with that, But right now wow has my money and thats not changing.

A Roman MMO is enticing, however it doesn't seem to be sub. based worthy. Graphics wise it reminds me of a mixture of DAOC, EQ, and EQ2. I don't doubt that it could be a good game, but for the same price I can (and did) buy Tera.

Hope you enjoy the game.
    A troll is a troll and a roll is a roll, and if we feed them trolls then we don't eat no rolls.