Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the arch loot list? I need a pterodactyl mount and a Darker Eye of Insanity!

Cant wait till new patch! new things to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmah View Post
    Let me clarify a bit since my last post was extremely rushed. 4.2 is roughly 2GB, at least that was the amount needed to download if you used the quick install method for PTR testing (Copying patches up to 4.1 from live folder then allowing the DL'er to get the rest). Lets even assume for a moment that the patch were 500mb, they would still have it on the background downloader for a few days at a bare minimum. I can't remember a patch over 100mb that wasnt on the DL'er for some time. Hell on the PTR alone the patches to the patch itself were more than 400mb's, so I'm inclined to call BS on your link to their servers indicating yadda yadda. Simple math > some mysterious back-alley link containing Area 51 patches for Blizz.
    Your entire argument appears to rest on 4.2 being 2 GB. Everything that follows appears to be lending strength to that argument with the line of reasoning of "Blizzard needs to give us plenty of advance warning of ____ because of _____". Once you take into account the fact that Blizzard have given us plenty of advance warning of the thing in question plus has been known in the past to just make changes without informing or warning the player base means the one bit of evidence in your post that has any crecdence on the post coming out this week is the size argument.

For starters copying the patches files from Live to install the PTR is not a supported method of installing the PTR. You are meant to never de-install and just to update it each time via the launcher. You may say this is a minor difference but in fact it is - the build patch files on the PTR are different from Live. Some will translate over , some will not.

For example Live goes 13623,13914,14007 PTR has no 13623 or 14007 update files. It goes 13875,13914,14002 then build 14040 in it's build update files. Also the Cache folder in the Data folder has different size between PTR and Live so take that out of your calculations.

Your PTR launcher probably looked at the files it didn't have and re-downloaded what you had already downloaded on Live as once again the files aren't named the same.

What you can do is estimate how big a jump 14007 (live build number) to 14040 then add up the rest of the patch files from there. Here I've made some screenshots of my PTR data , updates and data -> enUS folders :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/4.2%...ata_4.2PTR.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/4.2%...nUS_4.2PTR.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/4.2%...tes_4.2PTR.jpg

Lastly I'ld like to reveal here that I'm the Mac Tech Support MVP. So I do have access to avenues of information that a normal player does not. One of those sources give me a bunch of links. I won't share all of them here as I don't want people to try to patch their wow installs ahead of time but here's one :

http://ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/NA/12911.direct/Updates/wow-0-14333-Win-final.MPQ

If you look in your wow.mfil file you will see that same URL. This is Blizzard's own patching servers. Don't believe me ? Go take that file out of your wow folder. Then open the Launcher and see it recreate that file. Then open the wow.mfil in your favourite text editor.

The other links have different file names but the same domain name in the URL (ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net)

With the streaming launcher you only have to download 70 % of the patch before you are able to play. Once in game you stream patch data from that domain name on port 80. So players would be downloading at most 330 MB before being able to play and streaming the rest. It won't be a huge strain on network infrastructure so a prepatch download isn't needed.

Well regardless, the current PVP season hasn't been completed so the patch won't be tomorrow. It always ends a week before any major content patch and since there hasn't been one yet, the patch won't be tomorrow.

I stated my reasons. You stated what we already knew, or could reasonably assume to be true, and attempted to bedazzle it. Common sense told me the 21st wasn't going to be the release day despite the "News" saying otherwise. Again, I don't believe it will be released tomorrow and no matter how much sparkle you add to those old jeans, I won't wear them. It's this little thing called an opinion. I mean its not possible that they could simply place a patch there a week before it goes live, right? Or could they *evil laugh*?P.S. If that is the final patch size I'll buy the first round, other than that............thinking of clever retort.......mac's blow. You're not the only one with sources. Go check that other wow information site and the bulk of the news is posted/gathered by an associate, who despite having been leaked info that the patch is suppose to be tomorrow, feels it will not go live either, and that the decision wasn't going to be made until late this evening (more than likely just before maintence)...opps did I just spill some information. So as you can see, your argument has as little, to quote you, "credence" as mine.

4.2 patches this week on Korea Servers!

Good News, Everyone!

An official announcement about 4.2 patches is published in Korea server; see the follownig link.

kr.battle.net/wow/ko/forum/topic/758715971

(It is written in Korean, of course. I'm not allowed to write any link cuz' I'm a newbie. )

The announcement says that 4.2 patches will be going on this Wednesday (30th June, 5:00 AM ~ 1:00 PM, KST)
    Last edited by xenore; 2011-06-28 at 06:31 AM.

I just powered up my PTR launcher (not had it opened for a few days) And there was a 20mb patch applied O_o (Why is there no datamined info about that here on MMO?)

And the PTR servers are still up here in EU atleast
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-06-28 at 06:39 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenore View Post
    Good News, Everyone!

An official announcement about 4.2 patches is published in Korea server; see the follownig link.

kr.battle.net/wow/ko/forum/topic/758715971

(It is written in Korean, of course. I'm not allowed to write any link cuz' I'm a newbie. )

The announcement says that 4.2 patches will be going on this Wednesday (30th June, 5:00 AM ~ 1:00 PM, KST)
    nice translated it with google and it seems that you are right, that should be the confirmation for 4.2 this week.

Deleted
    O.owhy on droplists is not a single cloth item with spirit? Priests have to buy all of them with valors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    I just powered up my PTR launcher (not had it opened for a few days) And there was a 20mb patch applied O_o (Why is there no datamined info about that here on MMO?)

And the PTR servers are still up here in EU atleast
    That patch came through a while ago I believe, and it was prolly just a tool update or something. I would imagine that MMO is focusing on trying to make the page we see above these comments look prettier for today rather than reporting something that won't make a difference in the long run.

However, I am curious as to why no-where on the U.S. side of things is there confirmation, and still no downloader data.

Oh wells, I don't have a cap on my internets - I can wait till after work.

There is a post in the CS forums about the extended downtime, but it doesn't come out and blatantly say "4.2 is today."

Silly Blizz and their ability to make me excited.

its goin live my launcher is downloading a 450mb patch right now
    Last edited by Sick; 2011-06-28 at 02:54 PM.

I can't comment or like the giveaway post

The Downloader just activated. So, live tomorrow it is, since it will be down for most of today. :-P