Poll: Favorite Doctor or Spin off

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

[TV] Doctor Who & Spin Off Thread

Well Since the Doctor Who Thread is buried deep I figured We should have a Doctor Who and Spin off thread. the new season of Torchwood is near.

For easy Topic Starters What was your Favorite Doctor, or Series.

Choices:

First Doctor William Hartnell 1963–1966
    Second Doctor Patrick Troughton 1966–1969
    Third Doctor Jon Pertwee 1970–1974
    Fourth Doctor Tom Baker 1974–1981
    Fifth Doctor Peter Davison 1981–1984
    Sixth Doctor Colin Baker 1984–1986
    Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy 1987–1989, 1996
    Eighth Doctor Paul McGann 1996
    Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston 2005
    Tenth Doctor David Tennant 2005–2010
    Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith 2010–present
    Torchwood
    The Sarah Jane Adventures

I'm still working my way through the classic series (having seen most of the Hartnell, Throughton and Pertwee material), but based on those doctors plus the modern series I'd have to say Matt Smith is so far my favourite. I can't really explain why, I just find it more enjoyable watching him rather than the others. But then I haven't started on Tom Baker yet, who seems to more or less be a universal fan favourite amongst classic Who fans.

As for favourite series, if I need to specify, the modern 5th series. So far, at least. Series 6 isn't quite there for me yet, but then there's still six episodes left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I will always love Tom Baker, but Pertwee did Karate which was kind of cool.

Personally I think David Tennent did wonders with the character, but Mat Smith might be able to get that kind of growth as well.

--

As for the Poll I put it based on Generalities since the early series could be said to be broken down in three sections. while the new series has a different vibe, also to fit in other shows that are related (only 10 poll questions) I squeezed them best I could, So we have a start for a good discussion.

(ps. Bill and Ted Was an American Spoof of Doctor Who, with Rufus being the Doctor Analogy)

10+ Year Old Account
    David Tennant ROCKED the Doc, and Matt Smith is proving to be a remarkably good choice (also, nomnom Karen Gillan) so I chose them, I also REALLY like Torchwood (although I thought Season 2 was a bit weak, Season 1 and the miniseries was outstanding) and I'm REALLY looking forward to the new miniseries.

also Gothicshark Mind = BLOWN, I never realised that about Bill and Ted till you brought it up, but now you mention it I can't help but notice the similarities...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Side note... I started re-watching starting with Eccleson's season because I introduced a friend to the show. We got to the episode where they first meet Jack and omg he looked sooo much younger then. I never noticed it in the series and in Torchwood (basically he has always looked young to me) but dang in his first episode he looks like he might have still been in high school or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I will always love Tom Baker, but Pertwee did Karate which was kind of cool.

Personally I think David Tennent did wonders with the character, but Mat Smith might be able to get that kind of growth as well.
    To me, Pertwee was too much of a James Bond-type character. Always supposed to be dashing about in his fancy car (and cape. Seriously, what was up with the cape?) and knocking out people. The only good thing for me about Pertwee was the introduction of Sarah-Jane, the numerous well-written Master stories and The Three Doctors.

I agree David Tennant did wonders with the modern Doctor, but I would argue that Eccleston had a fairly big impact as well. I don't think Tennant's Doctor would have had nearly the same impact if he was the one to launch the revived series, simply because we loved the way the Doctor changed from Eccleston to Tennant. That said, I'm not so sure you really need to redefine the character countless times in order to be successful. Matt Smith hasn't done very much expressively new with the Doctor, but he's putting his own spin on everything and he's doing it extremely well, at least in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    Excellent point
    I agree, I am really looking forward to see what happens next, Although I have to point out that the comedy sketch done by
    Steven Moffat, Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death starring Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor had a few interesting lines.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...of_Fatal_Death

mainly the whole Doctor getting Married, and the best example of timy whimy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Side note... I started re-watching starting with Eccleson's season because I introduced a friend to the show. We got to the episode where they first meet Jack and omg he looked sooo much younger then. I never noticed it in the series and in Torchwood (basically he has always looked young to me) but dang in his first episode he looks like he might have still been in high school or something.
    He looks younger here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1XOfHax6Q8

OT: I got into this about series 3 of "New Who" and just cant stop watching. Smith has grown on me since taking over the part and is now holding a special place in my heart just like all the others. One thing I do wonder, is there anywhere I can watch the 1990s special "movie" with Paul McGann? Remember seeing it as a child, but memories are hazy. Dad was super excited though ^^
    Where I come from, fag means cigarette.

15+ Year Old Account
    I originally didn't like dr who, then watched torchwood and loved it, and recently tried dr who and loved it. I voted Torchwood and 9th-11th doctor!

My dads in the process of buying some of the old dvds, My favorite doctor is ten. Did anyone happen to notice that, in the newest episode, when Rory knocked on the door, it was four times and sounded exactly like the Masters drum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just as a friendly Reminder, Torchwood July 8th. BBC & Starz.

A little late to the party, but I can't resist spouting my love. I actually started watching Torchwood first and only got into Doctor Who because we wanted to see where Jack came from. While I adore David Tennant, I give all sorts of love to Christopher Eccleston and even more love to Russell T Davies for bringing it back. The 9th and 10th Doctor seasons were simply amazing, with fantastic writing, wonderful stories and great acting.

I'm not a fan of the latest series at all, though. None of the stories have really grabbed me and we refer to Matt Smith as The Missing Stooge. He comes across as scatterbrained, oblivious and too childish for someone who's seen the things he's seen and is as brilliant as we know The Doctor is. And I don't really see much compassion in him, not like we saw with Tennant and Eccelston. The only episode I've actually liked with the 11th Doctor is "Vincent and The Doctor" where they meet van Gogh.

As far as Torchwood goes, Children of Earth seriously raised the bar on that. I'm really hoping that we see more of that with the new series on Starz.