15+ Year Old Account

[Windows XP] Unable to connect to windows update

Hi everyone -

Just a small issue today. My GF's computer has windows XP. When I try to connect to the windows update page I get an unable to connect message, yet I can bring it up on my 7 machine with no issues.

Any ideas what can cause something like this?

I'd love to not have to reformat the drive, but can if necessary.

Thanks!

Deleted
    update net card drivers else its broken or badly configured , or firewall config, check that too, to allow update client

15+ Year Old Account
    No firewall running when I attempted.

Easiest way to find the updated network card drivers? Google the make and model of mobo and go from there?

might sound a little crazy, but check to see if her time and date are set right. I run into this problem at work because time and date being reset all the time.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    1) Check to make sure you have a stable internet connection. Using wireless open up Internet Explorer and do some google searches to make sure you are connected.
    2) Try using the Microsoft Fix It utility for resetting the Windows update on your computer. Fix it can be found here.

After both of these steps you should be back up and running.

Is this a legit Windows XP copy? If so then contact Microsoft support if you keep running into this problem after reinstalling internet drivers.
    Playing since 2007.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, legit copy
    I was hardwired
    Time and date appeared accurate, but I will recheck tonight as well.
    Internet connection was fine - she could tool around on the net, as could I on the same network.

Any advice on best way to update my net drivers?

Thanks all

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 01:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    1) Check to make sure you have a stable internet connection. Using wireless open up Internet Explorer and do some google searches to make sure you are connected.
    2) Try using the Microsoft Fix It utility for resetting the Windows update on your computer. Fix it can be found here.

After both of these steps you should be back up and running.
    Interestingly enough, I can get to the microsoft main page, but I am not able to connect to that link.

Net drivers updated.

Still no luck...

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 01:48 AM ----------

I was able to get the fixit program by downloading to my other pc and sharing across the network, and then using over here.

Still no luck.

I'm fearing a virus at this point, but can't find anything running that would indicate it.

Any advice on a free scanner?

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 02:51 AM ----------

Apparently the pc was swarming with adware and viruses - following the stickies and trying to cleanse them all

If I can't get it clean, I'll format.

Thanks again, all

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 12:50 PM ----------

After running some of the services advised in the sticky - I now can't even access the internet on that machine. reformat, here I come.