Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I realize that the 6670 is NEWER. But I would recommend going with the 5770 over it. It's on sale on Newegg. It performs better. You will have a much better gaming experience with it.

I put together a build with your "needs" in mind and it IS more expensive than the one you built. But I also didn't cut corners. (I also didn't factor the case into the mix because I wasn't sure if you'd be the kind of person who wants a cheap pretty case or a more expensive very effective cooling case, etc.) The DIFFERENCES, though are:

Harddrive: I put in a higher quality HDD (same size) but it operates at 6.0 Gb/s whereas yours is 3.0 Gb/s. This means faster access of data on your harddrive.
    Motherboard: I chose one I know works well, has plenty of slots and plugs and such, and is overclockable.
    RAM: Same amount of RAM, but I chose 1600 instead of 1333
    Power Supply: I chose a reliable manufacturer's 750W PSU. More power isn't necessarily better, but quality is important and having a higher wattage power supply means you won't have to buy one in the future if you upgrade to a power hog graphics card or something.
    GPU: I chose the Radeon 5770. It is by no means the top of the line, but I remain capped at 60fps in-game with settings on ultra in 1920x1080. In raids if I'm frapsing, I cap my frames at 30fps so it doesn't stutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    I realize that the 6670 is NEWER. But I would recommend going with the 5770 over it. It's on sale on Newegg. It performs better. You will have a much better gaming experience with it.

I put together a build with your "needs" in mind and it IS more expensive than the one you built. But I also didn't cut corners. (I also didn't factor the case into the mix because I wasn't sure if you'd be the kind of person who wants a cheap pretty case or a more expensive very effective cooling case, etc.) The DIFFERENCES, though are:

Harddrive: I put in a higher quality HDD (same size) but it operates at 6.0 Gb/s whereas yours is 3.0 Gb/s. This means faster access of data on your harddrive.
    Motherboard: I chose one I know works well, has plenty of slots and plugs and such, and is overclockable.
    RAM: Same amount of RAM, but I chose 1600 instead of 1333
    Power Supply: I chose a reliable manufacturer's 750W PSU. More power isn't necessarily better, but quality is important and having a higher wattage power supply means you won't have to buy one in the future if you upgrade to a power hog graphics card or something.
    GPU: I chose the Radeon 5770. It is by no means the top of the line, but I remain capped at 60fps in-game with settings on ultra in 1920x1080. In raids if I'm frapsing, I cap my frames at 30fps so it doesn't stutter.
    How much was all this? I can pull a couple strings for someone to custom build a pc but thats going out of they're and my way just to do such a thing and its summer...haha more need to be said?

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    so I went back to newegg to refine the search a bit more and maybe someone can help me out here then on the GPU and overall build

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736 4021 600030537&IsNodeId=1&name=Gaming

out of that list which one(s) are the best to choose from? 500-750$ usd is my range I'd like to stay in since the new monitor is 200$ and thats pushing it just a bit to go up to 950$ for a whole new setup. I know I gotta put in a little to get alot
    All of these builds suck. They got either a bad GPU and good CPU or bad CPU and a medium range GPU.
    Do you know which is better ? The 700$ build from this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    All of these builds suck. They got either a bad GPU and good CPU or bad CPU and a medium range GPU.
    Do you know which is better ? The 700$ build from this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build
    Wasnt expecting to see an ASUS video card on there.

I've been reading alot of reviews though and theres one that strikes me just kind of what I'm looking for on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227291

Alot of the reviews are very similar to what I'm looking for. Some explain directly in relation to wow. I'm not looking for a huge multi-tasker engine although I am a bit of one. I would like to be able to run ultra settings (minus shadows) at about 50-70 fps in raids and maybe some fraps action of 30+ fps.

The 4gb of ram will obviously be upgraded in short time but it seems like a good starter after 5 years

The build I did was $834 with no case. I do understand that it's more work to build the computer yourself. But you're looking at pre-built setups that are just not good. I personally would rather spend $800 and a little time and effort on a computer I know is going to kick butt for a few years than $700 on a computer that I'm going to curse every time my framerate spikes because I couldn't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    The build I did was $834 with no case. I do understand that it's more work to build the computer yourself. But you're looking at pre-built setups that are just not good. I personally would rather spend $800 and a little time and effort on a computer I know is going to kick butt for a few years than $700 on a computer that I'm going to curse every time my framerate spikes because I couldn't be bothered.
    cases usually run another 60-70$ though from my personal experience dont they? Adding the monitor on to that thats almost 1100$. I'm trying to stay around 900$ if I can between 900-1000$

What do you think of that setup I just posted

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227291

Seeing alot of good reviews about the 5770, like I mentioned I just dont like the 4gb of ram. How does that CPU hold up?

The 5770 is better but the CPU is slower than i5-2500k. Regardless of that, you will get better fps in games (except maybe WoW on 25m) with the HD5770 build.
    The 700$ build from the thread I linked has both i5-2500k and GTX 460, which is faster than 5770...
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-06-28 at 12:40 PM.

Deleted
    So the final crux of this thread seems to be to get the OP to buy the parts instead of the PC

I would also advise to get the $700 (74something actually) from the thread mentioned before, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build. you can also take it and throw a 5770 in there if you want to save some money, but that build is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    So the final crux of this thread seems to be to get the OP to buy the parts instead of the PC

I would also advise to get the $700 (74something actually) from the thread mentioned before, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build. you can also take it and throw a 5770 in there if you want to save some money, but that build is decent.
    Hard to say I'm not much of an over-clocker and alot of the reviews I'm seeing that are actually definite & descriptive are over-clocking the hardware (cpu/gpu)

I over-clocked once and it was a bad mistake, destroyed my previous motherboard.

I'll consider that 700 build (comes to about 780 with shipping if not 800)

But if I decide not to go through the extra $$$ for whatever reason the 5770 & amd cpu pre-built will be my best bet for 3-4 years of satisfied gaming.

Thanks everybody for the help, I really do appreciate it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Hard to say I'm not much of an over-clocker and alot of the reviews I'm seeing that are actually definite & descriptive are over-clocking the hardware (cpu/gpu)

I over-clocked once and it was a bad mistake, destroyed my previous motherboard.

I'll consider that 700 build (comes to about 780 with shipping if not 800)

But if I decide not to go through the extra $$$ for whatever reason the 5770 & amd cpu pre-built will be my best bet for 3-4 years of satisfied gaming.

Thanks everybody for the help, I really do appreciate it
    First, oc'ing is not as big a deal as it used to, but well you can't be forced
    If you don't overclock, you can just as easily leave out the CPU heatsink in the 700 build and just use the one that comes with the cpu. If you still take the 2500k cpu, you can always add a better heatsink later if you change your mind on overclocking. Or you take the 2500, a H series mobo (instead of P series that would allow you to oc) and forget about OCing.