Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    I either buy the cd's or borrow them off family. I've no interest in movies, the ones i do watch i lend off family.
    If it were up to and within the power of the respective industries they would make you pay full price too.

I see more console games pirated before their PC counterparts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by walexia View Post
    I used to think the same way but I feel really bad knowing that the person making the game gest nothing out of it.If more and more people pirate then it almost becomes economically nonviable to produce games in such a way .For example I heard that the company that made unreal tournament said they were gonna stop making PC games because they thought it was just silly to see their games pirated after launch.At least for consoles it becomes harder to do that since you would have to have your system modified to play pirated games in it's kinda hard to do, also the consoles(not to sure) may have some system online to check for vailidty of games attempting to access online play.
    Personally I think the industry has been getting terrible since cawadoody 4, besides a few games anyway. We need more games like cathrine, that I'd be willing to buy. But anyway, people really don't pirate as much as people think. And for the record, soft modding a console is laughably easy. All you need to do is download something, put it on a usb stick/sd card, and run it.

I tend to just buy the crap anyways - as long as I am addicted to entertainment there isn't much room for change. But well the bad feeling stays - you basically support what the content industry is doing. I don't mind at all if someone pirates stuff - I happen to have the money to burn so who cares especially because I know that the industry gets enough cash anyways through dumb people like me and I wouldn't feel sorry for a crack dealer that gets robbed by his customers either.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2011-06-28 at 11:27 AM.

Also: Used games/gamefly are just as bad as straight up piracy because multiple people are playing the game but the devs only get payed for one of those people playing. I honestly don't see how Gamefly/Netflix are legal but whatevers
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Quote Originally Posted by walexia View Post
    I used to think the same way but I feel really bad knowing that the person making the game gest nothing out of it.If more and more people pirate then it almost becomes economically nonviable to produce games in such a way .For example I heard that the company that made unreal tournament said they were gonna stop making PC games because they thought it was just silly to see their games pirated after launch.At least for consoles it becomes harder to do that since you would have to have your system modified to play pirated games in it's kinda hard to do, also the consoles(not to sure) may have some system online to check for vailidty of games attempting to access online play.
    Ironic the PC platform put Epic games on the map, UT sold millions on pc.

Well, i download most games that come out, but 99% of them are worth no more than 10-30 min playing, then uninstall.
    Feral dps :3
    Bring back ArP rating!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    Wait a minute... When was witcher 2 released again?
    May 17th.

Yup, pirates got to play it a day earlier than most people who bought it.

Explanation (unless I'm mistaken): Collector's Editions in Poland were shipped a week in advance and could activate their game a day in advance. The one-time activation was the only DRM in the game, and it's been patched out by now.
    Last edited by mmoc4e12ba5ccd; 2011-06-28 at 11:28 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I'm not one to judge others; I'll leave that to higher authorities (be they human or spiritual, if you're into that)... but I don't pirate any media, and I never will. It's theft, and I believe theft is wrong, so I don't pirate. It's pretty much that simple. I understand the arguments for both sides, but for me it's more of a philosophical thing. Doing what's right because I believe it to be right.

When I was younger I pirated a few CDs and downloaded some ROMs, even though I believed then that stealing was wrong. I suppose there came a point in my life where my resolve in my own beliefs became stronger than the temptation to go against them for instant gratification.
    Sure do hope you don't watch movie clips or listen to songs on youtube because that's technically piracy.

Deleted
    You can resell a game if you don't like it. The only good reasons for pirating. in my opinion, are, if the game isn't available in stores anymore, and you can only get it by paying 100+ bucks on Ebay - or you are short on cash right now and you intend to buy it in a few weeks. If you really think about how much work goes into games, it's just wrong to pirate games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    You can resell a game if you don't like it. The only good reasons for pirating. in my opinion, are, if the game isn't available in stores anymore, and you can only get it by paying 100+ bucks on Ebay - or you are short on cash right now and you intend to buy it in a few weeks. If you really think about how much work goes into games, it's just wrong to pirate games.
    Reselling a game is just as bad as pirating it so you have accomplished nothing if you sell your games after buying them. In Piracy one person has to buy it at first and then they distribute it to multitudes. You are doing the same thing by selling a video game.
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor

Deleted
    I usaly DL games and buy them if i like them tought as i have no income its kinda hard to buy a game at all.
    Tought theres hardly any games i want anymore anyway like Skyrim only and the new Bioshock tought i will get money until they come out hopefully i can get them.

And yes i know its bad to DL games but i think the games cost to much 50 euro for a pc game maybe 4 euro cheaper if you look around other stores and then ofc console games are more expensive its just not worth it for some games so i would rather want to try them befor i buy them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    Reselling a game is just as bad as pirating it so you have accomplished nothing if you sell your games after buying them. In Piracy one person has to buy it at first and then they distribute it to multitudes. You are doing the same thing by selling a video game.
    What the fuck are you talking about? You have every right to sell a product you don't want to have anymore.
    Selling a game and pirating aren't even closely related.

Deleted
    What the fuck are you talking about? You have every right to sell a product you don't want to have anymore.
    Its becos if you resell the game the Publisher doesent get anything of it at all its a grey area that game corperations are trying to make illegal(or so ive heard) as they dont earn anything off it.

i think people here are just too touchy to admit they pirate games. so what?! its free, you dont have to feel like you have to play it because you didnt spend actual money for it. plus if its crap, just delete it. if its good, well you just saved yourself money for other things. if more people knew how or where to download retail games for free, then everything would be like RIOT games.

IMO, with internet advertisement, the future of gaming will be mostly free with advertisements and in-game purchases. its sad, but eventually true.

Speaking from a moral standpoint a person buying a game playing it then selling it is just as bad as piracy because the Development studio only gets money once. That is the point i am making.

Basically he is right that's why a lot of the big companies think about ways to prevent reselling games.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Personally I think the industry has been getting terrible since cawadoody 4, besides a few games anyway. We need more games like cathrine, that I'd be willing to buy. But anyway, people really don't pirate as much as people think. And for the record, soft modding a console is laughably easy. All you need to do is download something, put it on a usb stick/sd card, and run it.
    that may or may not be true, but it's not helping them much when games are downloaded for free and the makers of it get nothing.If anything it makes them more liable to make several crappy games to make quick money than to sit down and think of a great title that would get prob a game of the year award....but get downloaded for free like crazy days after.

I'm not one to judge others; I'll leave that to higher authorities (be they human or spiritual, if you're into that)... but I don't pirate any media, and I never will. It's theft, and I believe theft is wrong, so I don't pirate. It's pretty much that simple. I understand the arguments for both sides, but for me it's more of a philosophical thing. Doing what's right because I believe it to be right.
    When I was younger I pirated a few CDs and downloaded some ROMs, even though I believed then that stealing was wrong. I suppose there came a point in my life where my resolve in my own beliefs became stronger than the temptation to go against them for instant gratification.
    This is what i decided many years ago, i play wow alot so i don't have much time for other types of games, it makes no sense for me to illegally download games which i won't even play much.So I stick to wow and choose to pay for games which i really like very much.
    so yeah i buy a whole lot less games now due to economic and interest reasons too, but i feel that the best way to support the company that is making the best games is to buy their stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Selling a game and pirating aren't even closely related.
    http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/8...m-than-piracy/

Straight from the horses mouth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I'll never understand the "I used to spend money, but I don't like the quality"-reasoning. Spending money is a chance you take with ANY product, be it a book, game, car or a new brand of milk. How can anyone say that "Because XYZ were bad in 2010, I'll download W in 2011"? It doesn't make any kind of sense!
    You can read a part of the book (say, a paragraph) or it's summary.
    You can take the car for a test drive before you buy it.
    You can throw away the milk or give it to a cat because it is very cheap.

The average gamer doesn't have a (constant) job because the average gamer is a teenager / early adult (17 to 22). So paying 20 to 60 euros for a game that may not give you the satisfaction you wish for, is just too much. I think that should companies release demos first for people to try, and kept low prices, piracy would go down the drain. But they prefer to overprice their products and just live with piracy. Even though they try to convince potential customers to buy the game for its online features but personally I don't give a f**k whether I 'll be able to upload videos of me playing, in Windows Live or not...