Processor upgrade question

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about processors,

My computer is a little old, the motherboard is lga 775

Right now the processor i have is a intel 2core and it reads 1.86Ghz - 1.86Ghz

Now, does that mean i have a total of 3.6Ghz when i set a program to run on both cores? I'm trying to decide to upgrade my processor or not, cause right now it's just not in the ballpark for a new rig. I've been looking around and this is one processor i'm looking at.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Wolfdale 3.06GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7600

Is this an upgrade? I'll also add that i'd like to try APB Reloaded, but the game says my processor isnt up to speed.

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Xeikai; 2011-06-28 at 11:22 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your current processor is 1.8 per core. The new one would definitely be a huge upgrade, but really only a patch as the platform is quite dated. Also you want to be sure your mother board supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Your current processor is 1.8 per core. The new one would definitely be a huge upgrade, but really only a patch as the platform is quite dated. Also you want to be sure your mother board supports it.
    I've been pretty painsteaking in trying to make sure this processor would support it. here's my MB

Motherboard: Intel (Big Arm) 975X Viiv Motherboard - LGA775 socket
    1066 or 800 MHz system bus
    The processor i have choosen above is a 1066 FBS so i think this will work, Anyone know for sure?

Viiv? You have an HP or something like that, they aren't exactly designed around compatibility, but the chipset does support your CPU.

And the new CPU you listed there would be about a 66% increase in clockspeed. If you're running CPU limited tasks (like WoW) then it can be a cheap-ish upgrade to extend the life of an old PC.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeikai View Post
    Right now the processor i have is a intel 2core and it reads 1.86Ghz - 1.86Ghz

Now, does that mean i have a total of 3.6Ghz when i set a program to run on both cores?
    Yes.. Kind of. Your cpu can make calculations as if it has one core at 3.6GHz for applications that support multiple threads, but don't look too much into this number. You can't compare GHz specs between processor lines. For example, a new quad core i5 at 2.5GHz is actually faster than a Q-series quad core at 2.5 GHz.

To get a scope of the difference, you need to check out some benchmarks. The site in my sig is very nice for this.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650