Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to go for upgrade exclusively:

Grab a Q9500 CPU, 470 GPU and 4GB of ram (Ram is cheap at the moment and matched pairs save so much hassle.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Has the OP specified that he has a hardware-bound software bundle?
    About the OS, right I forgot that the OP doesn't have w7. Vista could work fine also, but I would go with 7.
    If he doesn't plan on overclocking just yet, he can leave out the extra heatsink, use the boxed one and already have half the OS' price.
    '
    Are you honestly claiming that there is a chance that his applications nessesary for everyday use aren't bound to the OS/system at hand?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ztkraptor View Post
    LMAO, 50% higher FPS eh?
    You are a joke.
    and as i said, FOR THE PRICE. did I say it was extremely better?
    You are also looking at a more expensive Motherboard as well with the i5, because of the chipset and the stranglehold Intel has on it.
    Christ kid, please go google more.
    There are TONS of LGA 1155 socket motherboards out there for well under $150, even under $100.

You have the Z68 chipset, P67, H67, and H61. Also, factor in that he could get a micro motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131724&cm_re=p8H61-_-13-131-724-_-Product

Hey look! A $75 motherboard that he could stick an i5-2500 CPU in and win with!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

First off, if OP needed Office, they'd have it already with an install disc. OEMs don't come with it.

Vista is an OEM version though, and would need to be replaced if OP got a new computer. However, the builds that have been posted (which stay within his budget) already factor in that cost.

Microsoft's antivirus is largely crap for detection rates, but there are plenty of other free alternatives (AVG? Avast? BitDefender?) that are better than many paid products (http://www.av-test.org/ shows paid versions, but free versions are largely similar on detection and protection rates.)
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-06-28 at 01:28 PM.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    again, he already has this software, all of it which he needs, he already has, so the first option should be to upgrade the current users system.
    Again, please elaborate the miracle that explains the connection between the two bold parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Again, please elaborate the miracle that explains the connection between the two bold parts?
    I fail to understand what you can't understand from that?
    The OP has a current system, with all software needed.
    If he purchases a new system, hes looking at having to repurchase the applications which he has installed on his current system, for a new system.
    Of that, you did not factor in the cost.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    First off, if OP needed Office, they'd have it already with an install disc. OEMs don't come with it.

Vista is an OEM version though, and would need to be replaced if OP got a new computer. However, the builds that have been posted (which stay within his budget) already factor in that cost.

Microsoft's antivirus is largely crap for detection rates, but there are plenty of other free alternatives (AVG? Avast? BitDefender?) that are better than many paid products (http://www.av-test.org/ shows paid versions, but free versions are largely similar on detection and protection rates.)
    Many OEm systems do infact come with office installed, which later is needed to be upgraded, usually electronically.

Deleted
    Hey,

i myself built a PC last christmas and kept myold one for all uni work / stuff like that and the pc is purely media and gaming photoshop etc. to not clog it up too much!

i was like you slightly when i first thought about building my own clueless and overwhelmed by the number of choices!

read around on alot of forums etc to make final choices, but in general its fairly easy. if you want to look at getting into building and overclocking etc make sure to build it with expansion in mind ifyou jsut want a good quality / performer for cheap then its even easier:P alot of the suggestions people ahve made are good ideas and probably know alot more than me so i wont comment other than the only real big thing is Nvidea or ATI for graphics. which seems to be a personal choice however il say from when i looked around it seemed like nvidea cards had some more features etc but ATI was better value for money more bang for your buck so to speak.

once you decide on parts (make sure they are all compatible :P) nowadays it really is nearly just all plug and play you put it together try to keep good airflow / sort fans out install windows and BAM your done nearly! dont let alot of fancy talk and arguments over different types brands scare you as alot of the time they are all 50:50 dpending on personal preference! alot of the arguing are for high end tech consumers or people who cry over a few FPS difference. for an above average set up alot of the stuff doesnt matter / barely matters

good luck and have fun building!

I know this is completely off-topic, but thank you very much Nellah for that AV link. It's something I've always been uncertain/uneasy about and it's really not my area of expertise. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    again, he already has this software, all of it which he needs, he already has, so the first option should be to upgrade the current users system.

And lol @ MS's antivirus, if you want something to use 25% of ur system resources at any given time, please by all means use it. Factoring in software is completely necessary and proves you don't do this for a living. The amount of times, I have had a customer complain about not having word, when I had told them multiple times that the price I quote them, does not include wordprocessing software, is insane. I try to help them understand that to have the every day things that they need, they will need to make some sacrifices.
    Couple things
    1. From what I can tell, MS's Antivirus in fact does not use 25%, it is hardly noticeable.
    2. I could smell you were a salesperson the moment I read your first post. I'm shocked though, that you are not suggesting this guy get a full new computer, ahh, another completely misinformed sales rep, /sigh.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Couple things
    1. From what I can tell, MS's Antivirus in fact does not use 25%, it is hardly noticeable.
    2. I could smell you were a salesperson the moment I read your first post. I'm shocked though, that you are not suggesting this guy get a full new computer, ahh, another completely misinformed sales rep, /sigh.
    LOL, I'm not a sales rep, I do this on the side, I'm an engineering consultant(which is why I don't want to waste money when its not needed).
    With the OP's current setup, with a few upgrades he could hit 100FPS constant in raids. There is no need to drop un nessesary money on something he doesn't need.

I can hit constant 80FPS on ultra settings with my Laptop and its rocking a qx9300 and SLI 9800GTS.
    There is NO NEED to WASTE money is what I'm trying to get you people to understand.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Explain how a 32 bit application is able to use 4gb of ram please.
    2^32 = 4294967295 bytes = 4194304 kilobytes = 4096 megabytes = 4 gigabytes

This is the theoretical limit of 32 bits of data. As you can see, this is double 2gb.

LOL, I'm not a sales rep, I do this on the side, I'm an engineering consultant(which is why I don't want to waste money when its not needed).
    With the OP's current setup, with a few upgrades he could hit 100FPS constant in raids. There is no need to drop un nessesary money on something he doesn't need.

I can hit constant 80FPS on ultra settings with my Laptop and its rocking a qx9300 and SLI 9800GTS.
    There is NO NEED to WASTE money is what I'm trying to get you people to understand.
    This is a highly subjective thing to say. FPS is highly dependent on resolution, OS, background programs etc.
    Last edited by Naphta; 2011-06-28 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    I fail to understand what you can't understand from that?
    The OP has a current system, with all software needed.
    If he purchases a new system, hes looking at having to repurchase the applications which he has installed on his current system, for a new system.
    Why, did he state he threw away the CDs? Except for Vista, I don't hink he has any OEM software, or has he said so?

Many OEm systems do infact come with office installed, which later is needed to be upgraded, usually electronically.
    They do, but is it said that this is the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by Naphta View Post
    2^32 = 4294967295 bytes = 4194304 kilobytes = 4096 megabytes = 4 gigabytes

This is the theoretical limit of 32 bits of data. As you can see, this is double 2gb.
    HAHA I hope you are joking...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

please go back to school, and let the professionals handle this.

With the OP's current setup, with a few upgrades he could hit 100FPS constant in raids. .
    Ummm... as WoW is a CPU-heavy program, here's a little analogy for you:
    Upgrading the OP's system using anything other than the processor would be like adding a shiny new muffler to a 1990 junker car and expecting it to run.

To Tearor: The reason I originally assumed that he had OEM software is because the OP's system is a Dell. In GENERAL, those do not come with any sort of OS that can be transferred to another computer. This is based on assumption, yes, but it seems like a fair one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellery View Post
    Ummm... as WoW is a CPU-heavy program, here's a little analogy for you:
    Upgrading the OP's system using anything other than the processor would be like adding a shiny new muffler to a 1990 junker car and expecting it to run.
    Where did I say we weren't going to upgrade the processor?

EDIT: Also, that his a horrible, horrible analogy.

EDIT2: I know how CPU heavy it is, my desktop is running about 8 instances of it on virtual desktops at any given time.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    HAHA I hope you are joking...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

please go back to school, and let the professionals handle this.
    Get out. That math is solid. Do it yourself. I said THEORETICAL LIMIT.

Also, fyi, I am actually a professional.

10+ Year Old Account

lol, yeah, at lower graphics settings sure.
    The laptop? Yeah, 80fps must be nice out in Western Plaguelands, say, how is the fight against the Scourge going? Don't even think to mention raiding on that laptop, you'll be laughed right out the door. This guy is a raiding tank, and if he's in a 25 man guild, he certainly doesn't need the low-end, ancient tech you're trying to suggest. He wants high settings at least during raids and to still get very good fps and all.

So that 100FPS in raids you're suggesting? Okay, with lower graphics settings like he already uses.
    "A flower.

Where did I say we weren't going to upgrade the processor?
    Probably right about where you said we weren't going to recommend spending money needlessly, and a quad-core LGA775 chip costs approximately the same as a quad-core LGA1155 chip. Often more, according to Newegg.

EDIT: The cheapest LGA775 quad core on Newegg costs almost as much as an i5-2500 and a good motherboard. Since we're upgrading the RAM anyway... your argument is invalid.

I'm done arguing with a brick wall. OP, I recommend you ditch this thread as it's become a cesspool and start up a PM conversation with people who know what they're doing. You get to pick who that is.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-06-28 at 01:47 PM.
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol, yeah, at lower graphics settings sure.
    The laptop? Yeah, 80fps must be nice out in Western Plaguelands, say, how is the fight against the Scourge going? Don't even think to mention raiding on that laptop, you'll be laughed right out the door. This guy is a raiding tank, and if he's in a 25 man guild, he certainly doesn't need the low-end, ancient tech you're trying to suggest. He wants high settings at least during raids and to still get very good fps and all.

So that 100FPS in raids you're suggesting? Okay, with lower graphics settings like he already uses.
    Again, I am at full ultra settings.
    I don't think you understand anything about what you are talking about, and its quite sickening. Your sarcasm really isn't funny.
    You obviously again, have no clue the power of the qx9300. And you have no clue what the x305 is or what it was designed for.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Probably right about where you said we weren't going to recommend spending money needlessly, and a quad-core LGA775 chip costs approximately the same as a quad-core LGA1155 chip. Often more, according to Newegg.
    But you see, you fail again, to understand, extra money will be spent in areas not needed in a complete system upgrade.
    Spending 300 now, is better than spending 1k, esp when Ivy Bridge is going to be released soon, and Sandy will drop in price.