Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Affliction DPS help.

Hi guys/gals of MMO champion. I have been raiding this tier since the beginning of cata, and had played Destro for the majority of the time. I decided to switch to Aff a few weeks back, and I am noticing my DPS is pretty low for what is considered the top DPS spec for Locks. I am doing all the things EJ suggests with optimal openers and what not, but I seem to be averaging 16-18k depending on the fight. Surely I should be doing 20k+ in 10 mans right? We are 3/13 HC and i have been in for every kill and my RL has said nothing about a lack of DPS on my part but when he (Spriest) and an MM Hunter are way ahead of me it seems low.

Any advice/add-ons/macros that could help me would be greatly appreciated. Here is my Armoury just in case.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...esung/advanced

link some combat logs from wol if u have one, will try to help u

I can already see your problem. You had no haste! You definitely want tier legs and you definitely want to get better haste gear. I.E Flamebloom gloves instead of year (or hands of the twilight counsel). You also have wwaayy too much crit. While crit is our second best stat behind haste, its not optimal, you're currently missing a UA tick and two corruption ticks when raid buffed. This is a huge dps loss.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rauhm/advanced

On average I pull 22k, you should be able to see proper reforges here.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: For some reason it posted the same reply twice
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-06-28 at 02:22 PM.

i have the same haste rating, ilvl 362 & im pulling more than 20k. haste isnt the problem, start chanting wrist +50 int, change those veiled demonseye on your dreamless belt (its a dps loss), change your meta for + 50 int +3% crit and try to get darkmoon card: volcano.
    i cant help a lot without a combat log, but can be dots uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by ratzing View Post
    i have the same haste rating, ilvl 362 & im pulling more than 20k. haste isnt the problem, start chanting wrist +50 int, change those veiled demonseye on your dreamless belt (its a dps loss), change your meta for + 50 int +3% crit and try to get darkmoon card: volcano.
    i cant help a lot without a combat log, but can be dots uptime.
    While I agree with all you said, you've posted nothing that's going to up his damage by much, (other than the Volcano card) he really should be going for more haste, he only has 16% while most 359 affliction warlocks have at least 20. That's a huge dps increase.

Deleted
    What i can say about addons is that you might wanna start using ( if you don't already do) the addon called Spellflash:Warlock. This addon advises you on what spell to use next and starts blinking on a spell when it's DoT is over. Since DoT specs rely on quick and contstant hits you might wanna optimize that with some addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauhm View Post
    While I agree with all you said, you've posted nothing that's going to up his damage by much, (other than the Volcano card) he really should be going for more haste, he only has 16% while most 359 affliction warlocks have at least 20. That's a huge dps increase.
    What would you suggest to help upping my Haste, I have 17.28% with DI on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    What would you suggest to help upping my Haste, I have 17.28% with DI on.
    you should be shooting around 30% with raid buffs. I sit around 32% completely raid buffed.

I also have a question. With the upcoming nerf to Soul Swap, what would be the best way to handle multidotting? Just use Soul Swap every 30 seconds to refresh dots. Or should I Soul Swap and then when a dot falls off just refresh it with a focus macro until SS is off cd again and fresh again? Because I have been practicing the latter and it's just too difficult trying to keep 6 dots up and keep Shadow Embrace on both targets too.

agree with that, but its hard get BiS gear mostly on 10 man if u are unlucky, anyway u cant sacrifice int or hit for haste, When u say "thats a huge dps increase" its a good dps increase but isnt 4k-5k+. I bet that is dot, shadow embrace and haunt uptime

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandrislock View Post
    you should be shooting around 30% with raid buffs. I sit around 32% completely raid buffed.
    Well I'm not in a raid so I cant check what I am at raid buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    I also have a question. With the upcoming nerf to Soul Swap, what would be the best way to handle multidotting? Just use Soul Swap every 30 seconds to refresh dots. Or should I Soul Swap and then when a dot falls off just refresh it with a focus macro until SS is off cd again and fresh again? Because I have been practicing the latter and it's just too difficult trying to keep 6 dots up and keep Shadow Embrace on both targets too.
    with a long cd, will be better for the first doting, then just refresh each dot manually. u can miss ticks refreshing dots with soul swap, cuz it no refresh dots, put new ones on it.

I'd recommend reforging to get the 17% hit cap, and then reforging crit -> haste and mastery -> crit. Also, when you're gemming, you should always try and maximize the INT you're receiving. This means that, sometimes, you're going to want to ignore the gem bonuses and just gem Brilliant Inferno Rubies instead. The +40 INT per slot is worth more than whatever bonus you're getting for matching colors. For example, your Power Generator Hood would be better off with +80 INT (2x Brilliant Inferno Ruby) than +40 INT, +54 Crit/3% Crit Damage, and +30 Mastery as the latter stats aren't as useful as just getting pure INT. It could be argued that gemming your Dreamless Belt with 2x Inferno Rubies is better than 50 Hit, but that all depends on how you decide (and are able) to reach the 17%/1742 cap.

Tips for upping your haste would be getting tier pants, and flamebloom gloves from rep grinding. I would also change some reforges around. Everything crit or mastery should be haste, unless you're hurting for crit. None of your gear should be crit mastery (yes it would be a dps increase to swap from a 359 to a 353 if the 353 had haste on it). Haste is your number 1 stat. With it you get more corruption and UA ticks and more shadowbolts, with more corruption ticks you get more nightfall and eradication procs which give you more shadowbolts and more corruption ticks (corruption should be reapplied sometime during the eradication buff).

For addons, you absolutely NEED a dot timer. Something to show you the current duration of dots. You should be reapplying UA and Bane of Doom just as its about to fall off. Also, you should make sure you reapply dots when your trinkets proc, it will be a substantial DPS increase.

As per usual, be sure to use felhunter, and demon soul on CD. Other than that you also need to be sure someone in your 10 man is giving the 5% spell haste and some type of spell power buff (preferably totemic wrath, but arcane brilliance will suffice) if not, it'd be best you go demo.

BoD dont benefit from haste, so u need reapply after it fall, refreshing before will be a dps loss, and dont confuse ppl is INT>SP>HIT TO CAP>HASTE>CRIT>MASTERY

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WMDistraction View Post
    I'd recommend reforging to get the 17% hit cap, and then reforging crit -> haste and mastery -> crit. Also, when you're gemming, you should always try and maximize the INT you're receiving. This means that, sometimes, you're going to want to ignore the gem bonuses and just gem Brilliant Inferno Rubies instead. The +40 INT per slot is worth more than whatever bonus you're getting for matching colors. For example, your Power Generator Hood would be better off with +80 INT (2x Brilliant Inferno Ruby) than +40 INT, +54 Crit/3% Crit Damage, and +30 Mastery as the latter stats aren't as useful as just getting pure INT. It could be argued that gemming your Dreamless Belt with 2x Inferno Rubies is better than 50 Hit, but that all depends on how you decide (and are able) to reach the 17%/1742 cap.
    So rather than the Meta gem it would be better to just add an Inferno? Also I replace the 2 gems in the belt as I would lose to much hit as I am already under capped by .50

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 05:19 PM ----------

Tips for upping your haste would be getting tier pants, and flamebloom gloves from rep grinding. I would also change some reforges around. Everything crit or mastery should be haste, unless you're hurting for crit. None of your gear should be crit mastery (yes it would be a dps increase to swap from a 359 to a 353 if the 353 had haste on it). Haste is your number 1 stat. With it you get more corruption and UA ticks and more shadowbolts, with more corruption ticks you get more nightfall and eradication procs which give you more shadowbolts and more corruption ticks (corruption should be reapplied sometime during the eradication buff).

For addons, you absolutely NEED a dot timer. Something to show you the current duration of dots. You should be reapplying UA and Bane of Doom just as its about to fall off. Also, you should make sure you reapply dots when your trinkets proc, it will be a substantial DPS increase.

As per usual, be sure to use felhunter, and demon soul on CD. Other than that you also need to be sure someone in your 10 man is giving the 5% spell haste and some type of spell power buff (preferably totemic wrath, but arcane brilliance will suffice) if not, it'd be best you go demo.
    I cannot reforge anything into haste as I need the reforges for Hit, if you look at my gear everything is reforged to hit and I am now at 16.5% hit (Wont show on Armoury as I haven't logged out) so I don't have much room to manoeuvre.
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-06-28 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratzing View Post
    BoD dont benefit from haste, so u need reapply after it fall, refreshing before will be a dps loss, and dont confuse ppl is INT>SP>HIT TO CAP>HASTE>CRIT>MASTERY
    This is untrue. You can refresh any dot (even Bane of Doom) before the last tick (So for BoD it would be >15 seconds) and it will be a dps gain. The only dot you should not do this on is Bane of Agony because its strongest tick is the last one, you clip that and you miss out on a large tick.

u cant put a gem on a meta slot, go for 54 int + 3% cri meta

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    I cannot reforge anything into haste as I need the reforges for Hit, if you look at my gear everything is reforged to hit and I am now at 16.5% hit (Wont show on Armoury as I haven't logged out) so I don't have much room to manoeuvre.
    Well like I said, getting the Flame Bloom gloves and the Tier pants will be very helpful since the pants are hit haste and your current pants are crit haste. You can then unreforge on a few other pieces of gear then to get more haste.