10+ Year Old Account

BIOS screen loop

Hi,

I just wanted to double check a problem with some other people.

Have a new(ish) Acer laptop which doesn't boot. it gets to the BIOS loading screen (the first screen you see) then dies, and loops (reboots then dies again, then reboots etc...)

(I know this is pretty light on detail, but yeah not much happens to detail to be honest)

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 07:14 PM ----------

P.S Can't get into the BIOS either. Pressing any key's has no effect. Although Esc sometimes allows you to go into the memory check screen instead of just seeing the Acer Splash screen.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You have a pretty good defect there if you can't even enter the BIOS screen. Assuming it is within its warranty period you should be contact Acer asap unless you have warranty through the store you purchased it from.

10+ Year Old Account
    No other ideas?

Usually at least someone has an idea to contribute ... even if it is totally off the wall. (Which I think is what I need)

Save the content of the folder C:\Windows\Minidump to a file and upload it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    No other ideas?

Usually at least someone has an idea to contribute ... even if it is totally off the wall. (Which I think is what I need)

Open the case and clear CMOS.
    But depending on how old it is, you maybe just want to send it back for warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Save the content of the folder C:\Windows\Minidump to a file and upload it somewhere.
    His laptop doesn't even boot, how is he supposed to get there?
    Yes, he can connect the HDD to another PC, but I don't really recommend opening a laptopcase if you still have warranty on it.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-06-28 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I can't access anything on the HardDrive as removing the drive would void the warrenty.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Open the case and clear CMOS.
    But depending on how old it is, you maybe just want to send it back for warranty.
    Can't get to the motherboard for the same reason as above.

Now I'm already out of ideas sorry

Deleted
    had the same problem, my southbridge smelted bc i didnt turn it off and slept on it

10+ Year Old Account
    Live CD maybe ?
    Can't bring up a boot screen, it doesn't get that far.

(Sorry, i'm not trying to shoot down everyone trying to help... just yeah... hoping someone has an idea I didn't so we don't have to wait for 3 weeks to get it back, and potentially having to pay for a repair after sending it back to Acer.)

I think you know as well as I do that the only probable solution is just to return it, it sounds like a dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.

I don't see how anything can be done from here if you can't even boot a live CD or access the hard drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by r3nd View Post
    I think you know as well as I do that the only probable solution is just to return it, it sounds like a dud.
    Yeah but it's always worth a shot to see if anyone else has had the problem and managed to get round it. No matter how much of a long shot it is.

Why would you get an Acer? Why anyone still trusts those things is beyond me
    Only thing you really can do is send it back for a replacement/fixing, anything else would involve opening it up

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 3 Acer's..... 2 of them work perfectly.

Besides, they were very cheap for the spec at the time,
    Cost me about £600 for 3..