Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Noob question: how am I supposed to update the BIOS? Someone linked me to the site where I can download the updates, but there isn't an installer or anything. When a friend did it for me, I remember him throwing the file on a flash drive and somehow booting from that. If someone could let me know how, it'd be much appreciated. =)

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post
    Noob question: how am I supposed to update the BIOS? Someone linked me to the site where I can download the updates, but there isn't an installer or anything. When a friend did it for me, I remember him throwing the file on a flash drive and somehow booting from that. If someone could let me know how, it'd be much appreciated. =)
    Depending on the board you can either flash it through the OS to booting from a floppy. Usually a flash drive is what's used now but if you have the option to do so from the OS that can be quite a bit easier for some.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Using DDR2 RAM with PhenomII's will actually slow down the whole processor by about 10-20% compared to DDR3 unless you have very expensive overclocked DDR2's that can match DDR3 speeds. 20% still wouldn't explain that bad fps OP is experiencing, but the RAM combined with bad clock speed stacks up to an impressive list of problems that hit the performance, and the combined effect can indeed bring the speed down.
    That's not true. DDR2 can be actually accessed faster than DDR3 with the same clock speed, since DDR3 has much higher latency - i.e. it takes more cycles to read/write memory on DDR3 than on DDR2.
    Last edited by Boldwyn; 2011-06-29 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldwyn View Post
    That's not true. DDR2 can be actually accessed faster than DDR3 with the same clock speed, since DDR3 has much higher latency - i.e. it takes more cycles to read/write memory on DDR3 than on DDR2.
    DDR3 is capable of more data transferred per cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Boldwyn View Post
    Yeah. But because of, well, more DDR (double Data Rate), the comparable DDR3 RAM would be twice as high. Ie, an 800MHz DDR2 would automatically be considered 1600MHz if it were a DDR3 memory. So DDR3 would be faster still, despite the DDR2s admittedly lower timings.

DDR3 and DDR2 both transfer two pieces of information per clock, just like regular DDR. The only difference to the end user is the clock speed and latencies (and voltages/compatibility I guess, but splitting hairs is hairsplitting). There are of course architectural and process differences that allow DDR2 and DDR3 to achieve successively higher frequencies, but in the end they all send two pieces of data per clock.

EDIT: Doing a bit of research shows there's more differences between modules than I thought, but less than above posters thought. The frequency ratings given to memory modules (DDR2-800, DDR3-1333, etc) are already factoring in clock multipliers. So DDR2-800 is 200MHzx2 with two transfers per clock (leading to the 800MHz rating), while DDR3-1600 for example is 200MHzx4 with two transfers per clock. And now that I know and am going to look more into it, it's all confusing as f*ck, so I'm just going to use their ratings as we always have. My previous statement stands: high clock, low latency DDR2 can outperform low clock DDR3, and the difference doesn't become truly pronounced in games until you significantly exceed DDR2's clocks.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-06-29 at 03:08 PM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo it is the CPU, many old cards can run WoW on Ultra with a good CPU behind it. Look into the i5 2500k, very good cpu at a good price, even the normal i5 2500 is good.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...unius/advanced
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yzmal/advanced
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...peace/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...N72-E&p=1&s=24 Select your OS and download Version 2403 under the BIOS tab and ASUS Update under the utilities tab.

Follow instructions and you should be fine.

Thank you, Asmekiel. The first part wasn't even needed actually with downloading the 2403 file since the program downloads it by itself; however, I just have one question: there is a box that is currently checked saying the following: Clear CMOS checksum to load default BIOS settings. Do I want that checked?

Also, if I do this, am I going to need to perform any configurations to my BIOS or will it just update and allow me back into my system? My friend is coming over Friday, so I don't want to have to configure/try to figure anything out by myself let alone not being able to get into my system should I need to do anything

Thanks! =)

Let it clear the CMOS.
    Only if you ever made any change in the BIOS you need to do this again after you installed the new BIOS version, that's all.

@Asmekiel: Ok, cool. Thanks a bunch. And that means I'll have to re-overclock my processor from 2.8 to 3.1 ghz since that's considered a BIOS change?

EDIT: This is all just the BIOS right? I don't remember if it was you that mentioned I need to also update the chipset? Or does this include the chipset update?

Let it boot first and check CPU-Z. Since your CPU is officially supported in this BIOS version it should be clocked at it's default 3.2 GHz.
    If it isn't something is still wrong...

What power supply are you using? Adding a power hungry CPU to a weak power supply can cause weird behaviour including lower performance.

I run a i7 2600K, 8 GB RAM using a XFX 6950 2GB video card and I have everything set to Ultra/Max, vsync on, etc., with fps rarely dropping below 60 fps.

Deleted
    If your processor is the Phenom II x6 1090t, Your using a AM3 processor, in an AM2 socket... Probably your issue, you need a new mobo tht supports AMD 6 core cpu's or a new am2 processor.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 07:03 PM ----------

EDIT: Maybe try a bios Update

As AM3 processors also support DDR2, they are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+, contingent upon a BIOS update for the motherboard. Manufacturers including Asus,[5] Gigabyte,[6] and others have labeled existing AM2/AM2+ boards as being "AM3 Ready" or similar, indicating that BIOS support is provided for the specified boards.

@Asmekiel: The BIOS is now asking for a boot device (I'm on a laptp atm), and it won't boot even when I go to the Boot tab in the BIOS and set the disk priority to the SATA: 3S-WDC WD3000.. I'm lost

EDIT; The exact message is as follows: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 06:10 PM ----------

@Bikiniwax: I'm using a 750v power supply. (upgaded from 650 when I changed the graphics card)

@Asmekiel: The BIOS is now asking for a boot device (I'm on a laptp atm), and it won't boot even when I go to the Boot tab in the BIOS and set the disk priority to the SATA: 3S-WDC WD3000.. I'm lost

EDIT; The exact message is as follows: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
    The wut :|
    Do you have a windows disk laying around? try to boot from that and do a windows repair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Change the bios to the correct first boot device. Mine defaults to my usb drive for some reason.

edit: errm..idk, reinstall windows then
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-06-29 at 06:15 PM. Reason: saw he does select proper drive
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

So sorry, really didn't foresee this. In any case, reinstalling windows should be a last resort.

I don't have my windows 7 copy laying around; a friend currently has that.. I probably have an xp disc somewhere; does it make a difference?

@Sephiracle: I have the priority set to the SATA: 3S-WDC WD3000 as its first boot device, 2nd is the CDROM, 3rd is the floppy ( i don't even have a floppy ) However, my secondary hard drive has disappeared from this list so Idk what happened

ALSO, if I just boot windows into safemode would I be able to revert the changes with a system restore? Or is the system separate from the BIOS?
    Last edited by Zaios; 2011-06-29 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have my windows 7 copy laying around; a friend currently has that.. I probably have an xp disc somewhere; does it make a difference?

@Sephiracle: I have the priority set to the SATA: 3S-WDC WD3000 as its first boot device, 2nd is the CDROM, 3rd is the floppy ( i don't even have a floppy ) However, my secondary hard drive has disappeared from this list so Idk what happened
    I would play around the boot order, then reset the bios, hopefully something will work rather than reinstalling windows, which you can't even do right now apparently.