10+ Year Old Account

a few computer questions

Ive been searching for a new graphics card and I wouuld like to know the following:
    Does agp8x work with a agp4x slot?
    Is there any way I can get more watts(ive heard of y-cables but im not sure)?
    my motherboard is a p4vmm2 version 7.1a
    Last edited by shadowlich; 2011-06-29 at 07:30 PM.

To be completely honest if you have an AGP 4x slot on your mainboard you will almost certainly want to look at mainboard + ram + chip upgrade first (it sounds like your on a AMD64 or at best an X2?).
    To answer questions though: 8x works in a 4x slot but will have pretty restricted bandwidth. Any graphics card you buy will be pretty heavily handicapped and there's no GOOD AGP cards any more to start with. I think the best is an AMD5750.
    If the card needs more power you generally plug in graphics card power cables or (as is likely the case here) get some converters that convert hard drive power leads for use on the graphics card.

I'd definitely look at overhauling mainboard and chip. It sounds like you could use a chat with a friend or at worst a local PC shop to help you make an informed buying decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore the werid stuff its my sister.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlich View Post
    Ive been searching for a new graphics card and I wouuld like to know the following:
    Does agp8x work with a agp4x slot?
    Is there any way I can get more watts(ive heard of y-cables but im not sure)?
    my motherboard is a p4vmm2 version 7.1a
    1) AGP8X will work with AGP4X
    2)You can not increase the wattage from your power supply without replacing the power supply. Higher end video cards require additional power plugged in directly from the power supply. It is best to view the recommended spec's of the video card before purchasing so you can make sure the power supply you currently have can support the new purchase.
    3) The motherboard ECS P4VMM2 V 7.1A and up is a socket 478 Intel motherboard. The socket 478 Intel motherboard was released around 2003 or so making it 8 years old. You're better off investing the money into a new computer rather than purchasing a video card for a mediocre performance upgrade.