Thread: Curse Client?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i have used the client since it was introduced and never had a problem out of it, i love it for the ease it gives in updating mods and even finding new ones. It must of been another program you had with the trojan, because i have never had any of my virus scan software find one in the client.

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Make sure you download it from the actual Curse site too... I have used the clients for ages and no problems whatsoever...
    A guildie had the problem too, but it turned out he downloaded the client from usenet instead of curse.com. And that one contained a trojan indeed.
    No, I made sure I was downloading it from Curse.com. I'm going to download it again and double check everything just to make sure. I know my computer is clean right now so there's no way it'll be anything BUT the Curse Client if something does go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtov View Post
    Running multiple av's just for checking false positives seems a bit excessive. Extra protection? maybe but still i think it's excessive(granted i'm the kind of person that hasn't used antivirus in a long time). Check out www.virustotal.com. Upload the file to them and they will scan it for you with over 30 programs.
    I'm paranoid and I have OCD/OCPD. It sucks but hey, better safe than sorry. Hm... that's a good idea. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezarthian View Post
    I dunno about the Trojan or anything, haven't had that happened to me but if it asks every time you reboot your computer if you want to install it http://www.curse.com/forums/t/219582.aspx will describe what you have to do to get rid of it.
    Thank you so much for that. I wouldn't be as annoyed with the program if it hadn't been for the fact that it kept asking me to reinstall it. It was kind of creepy, to be honest.

Manually updating even A LOT of addons takes maybe 2 minutes, dunno how anyone could be so lazy that he would risk using this shady piece of software.

Deleted
    Never had a problem with it.. :0

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Manually updating even A LOT of addons takes maybe 2 minutes, dunno how anyone could be so lazy that he would risk using this shady piece of software.
    I have a lot of addons. I don't have them individually bookmarked so I have to search through the entire site, download them again (if they're updated) and then install them. It actually takes more than two minutes and I don't like wasting time if I don't have to.

You know what? I had the same thing happen to me. I used the client for a long time, when it cam time to upgrade to the newest version it was totally bugged. It displayed the exact same symptoms as the OP described.

I contacted curse about it; they weren't able to help at all. I had to delete a specific file and run a .net repair tool just to get the Client off of my PC. Go to this thread http://clientsupport.curse.com/ticket.aspx?id=16850 . It has the info they gave me. When you go to the Client Support page you will see this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Don't let the internet-tough-guys trouble you, they just get a thrill typing stuff they couldn't say to anyone's face.

Just scanned it. This is what it came up with.

"Antiy-AVL | 2.0.3.7 | 2011.06.29 | Backdoor/Win32.VB.gen".

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzington View Post
    I have a lot of addons. I don't have them individually bookmarked so I have to search through the entire site, download them again (if they're updated) and then install them. It actually takes more than two minutes and I don't like wasting time if I don't have to.
    I have 195 addon folders in my /interface folder. Do you have more?
    You can add all your shit to favorites on curse and then go to http://my.curse.com/my/favorites.aspx to download them with 2 clicks.

Deleted
    Just scanned it. This is what it came up with.

"Antiy-AVL | 2.0.3.7 | 2011.06.29 | Backdoor/Win32.VB.gen".
    Did you try uploading that to VirusTotal.com? Try that and (if possible) link the report here. Also to verify, is this the installer you just downloaded, or the one you installed before?

Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    Did you try uploading that to VirusTotal.com? Try that and (if possible) link the report here. Also to verify, is this the installer you just downloaded, or the one you installed before?
    I used VirusTotal.com like a previous poster mentioned.

Everything else turned up negative but if you want, I'll still link the report.

It's the one I just recently downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Uricidea View Post
    You know what? I had the same thing happen to me. I used the client for a long time, when it cam time to upgrade to the newest version it was totally bugged. It displayed the exact same symptoms as the OP described.

I contacted curse about it; they weren't able to help at all. I had to delete a specific file and run a .net repair tool just to get the Client off of my PC. Go to this thread http://clientsupport.curse.com/ticket.aspx?id=16850 . It has the info they gave me. When you go to the Client Support page you will see this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Don't let the internet-tough-guys trouble you, they just get a thrill typing stuff they couldn't say to anyone's face.
    Oh, I know. I don't let them bother me. I didn't respond and simply reported him. He got his just desserts.

That being said, thank you for this. Someone already posted something similar but I'm still grateful for your help.

That's why I use multiple programs. If one gives me a false positive then I check it with another. I highly doubt two separate programs made by two separate companies could give the same false positive.
    Running several AV programs at the same time is VERY BAD!
    AV programs often control (to a lesser extent) what program can do what, that's what they're there for!
    If you start running 2 at the same time they start conflicting each other on these matters, and this can often lead to crashes or even viruses getting through because both AV blocked off each other's internet access (yes, I've seen this happen many times before on work).

As for Ashareth (the dude who got banned) he might have been an asshole, but he was right.
    Ignoring him just because he doesn't use nice words is only going to disadvantage you.

@Erona: You went defensive in that you didn't want to believe him even though he gave correct info.

PS.
    If you REALLY wanna make sure your PC is virus and spyware free I suggest the following:
    Get a normal AV program, AVG, Avast, etc. There's tons of free ones out there and even more with a subscription.
    Then get a cloud scanner (like hitman pro: http://www.surfright.nl/en/). This is ONLY a scanner (does automated scan of your PC when it starts, is VERY fast and hardly uses resources) and is always up to date due to the cloud connection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing).
    Then contact your internet provider. Often these provide a AV service that scans files before they come in (much like a spam filter) and actually ADDS to the security of your system.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by MestHoop; 2011-06-30 at 11:37 AM.

I'm sorry, but you might look into the possibility of the problem being your antivirus. I have gotten so frustrated with antiviruses taking over my computer and causing so many popups and interrupts, I'm finally using Avast in gamer mode and am feeling a little less frustrated. But as far as I've experienced, those name brand ones are far worse than what they claim to be protecting you from. I won't have Norton or McAfee on any of my comps ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    It's bad enough that wowmatrix is still around, don't support it
    It does nothing wrong as far as I can tell. It tells you to support the addon authors through donations, it shows you the links to the authors's websites. It stores the addons on its own database when possible... I see no problems with it. Curse doesn't allow it to download any curse-based addon anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    Running several AV programs at the same time is VERY BAD!
    AV programs often control (to a lesser extent) what program can do what, that's what they're there for!
    If you start running 2 at the same time they start conflicting each other on these matters, and this can often lead to crashes or even viruses getting through because both AV blocked off each other's internet access (yes, I've seen this happen many times before on work).

As for Ashareth (the dude who got banned) he might have been an asshole, but he was right.
    Ignoring him just because he doesn't use nice words is only going to disadvantage you.

@Erona: You went defensive in that you didn't want to believe him even though he gave correct info.

PS.
    If you REALLY wanna make sure your PC is virus and spyware free I suggest the following:
    Get a normal AV program, AVG, Avast, etc. There's tons of free ones out there and even more with a subscription.
    Then get a cloud scanner (like hitman pro: http://www.surfright.nl/en/). This is ONLY a scanner (does automated scan of your PC when it starts, is VERY fast and hardly uses resources) and is always up to date due to the cloud connection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing).
    Then contact your internet provider. Often these provide a AV service that scans files before they come in (much like a spam filter) and actually ADDS to the security of your system.
    I hope this helps.
    It doesn't matter how "right" a person is, if they can't get their point across without swearing or insulting someone, they're not worth paying attention to.

Also, I would like to point out that I don't run these programs simultaneously. I run one, then I run the other one, then I run the first one again and then the second one a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethystlyn View Post
    I'm sorry, but you might look into the possibility of the problem being your antivirus. I have gotten so frustrated with antiviruses taking over my computer and causing so many popups and interrupts, I'm finally using Avast in gamer mode and am feeling a little less frustrated. But as far as I've experienced, those name brand ones are far worse than what they claim to be protecting you from. I won't have Norton or McAfee on any of my comps ever again.
    I don't use Norton or McAfee so that's not an issue for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashareth View Post
    There is a shitload of versions out there pretending to allow you to use it as a "pro user" without paying so (hence the *cracked* version) and so far, i've only found a couple that were working as advertised (ie : pro version of curse client), and both had a shitload of malwares/virus bundled in it.... all the others were just rebundled normal versions with more trojans than my comps have seen in 10 years....

(and yes, i'm certain my comp is clean, and have been for years outside of the couple virus i got out of sheer stupidity and overconfidence over the years....)

IF you have no clue (like 99,99999% of the population out there), stop thinking you are some kind of computer genius that know better, you aren't, you are just the prime targets of all the scammers out there.
    You surely claim to know a lot of PC stuff, and you spit this to our face everytime you post something but guess what: you don't.

Switching to the "Premium" version of Curse Client is a matter of replacing a DLL. No need of "cracks" or "repacked versions". Download Curse Client from Curse, get the modded DLL, replace it and you're a premium user. Uh-Oh. I proved you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashareth
    Curse client NEVER offered to reinstall itself after being desinstalled, you've got a compromised version from another "hey braindead fucktard, click this link to become a millionaire, true story, no foul behind, click there it's safe" website, and THAT is what you still have on your comp, not the true client.
    Oh noes you're wrong again
    Curse client actually starts to ask for a reinstall right after you login to Windows if it has been unistalled properly and there are some leftover files on the system.
    That's because it sees itself as damaged, not uninstalled.

Now go spit your superawesome "knowledge" of computers on Yahoo Answers or some other retarded place like that where people can actually believe you're tech savvy

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinator View Post
    You surely claim to know a lot of PC stuff, and you spit this to our face everytime you post something but guess what: you don't.

Switching to the "Premium" version of Curse Client is a matter of replacing a DLL. No need of "cracks" or "repacked versions". Download Curse Client from Curse, get the modded DLL, replace it and you're a premium user. Uh-Oh. I proved you wrong.

Oh noes you're wrong again
    Curse client actually starts to ask for a reinstall right after you login to Windows if it has been unistalled properly and there are some leftover files on the system.
    That's because it sees itself as damaged, not uninstalled.

Now go spit your superawesome "knowledge" of computers on Yahoo Answers or some other retarded place like that where people can actually believe you're tech savvy
    I feel like giving you a hug.

I've used the Curse client on and off since it was released, and I've never had any problems. You could have potentially contracted a Trojan from one of the addons you downloaded, or it could have been hidden inside one of the advertisements that the client displayed, either way, the client by itself is perfectly safe.

As for the reinstall issue, I've had it several times. I'm not EXACTLY sure what causes it, but I've theorized that it is due to the Client being a .net application that isn't fully uninstalled by going to "Add/Remove Programs". One of the times I uninstalled it, I got that message for a few weeks, but it eventually went away. However, the last time I uninstalled it, that wasn't the case. I started looking for the problem, and noticed that there was a file associated with the Client (I can't remember if it was the Client itself, or an installation .exe) still in my "Startup" folder (Start Menu -> All Programs -> Startup). I deleted it out of there, and I didn't get that message again. I recently reinstalled it, but I'm sure I'll end up deleting it again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashareth View Post
    Snip
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinator View Post
    These guys are mad. Internet is serious business, am I right? Although I do applaud Bovinator for putting a poorly informed Ashareth in his place.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-06-30 at 02:32 PM.

Also, I would like to point out that I don't run these programs simultaneously. I run one, then I run the other one, then I run the first one again and then the second one a second time.
    It actually doesn't matter. A lot of the time simply having more than one on your system is enough to cause issues, as they can see each other as an infection. Although I am curious what you ARE using, as almost any antivirus program worth installing uses "always on" active protection. Even most anti-spyware programs do this now, because what good are they if you have already been infected.

I have been using the curse client for 3 years now and have never been hit with a virus of any kind. In that time I have used several different anti-virus/anti-spyware programs.

I sincerely doubt it was my anti-virus. I always keep several of them on my computer at any given time and I double-check by running them each twice. Takes a while but it lets me know I'm secure. They all said the same thing about World of Warcraft and as I said, it didn't happen until I downloaded & installed the Curse Client.
    You should never run more than one anti-virus program. Running more than one anti-virus program can cause all kinds of errors in windows or even cause your anti-virus programs to stop working.

Also, AVG is also terrible now. If you want a good free anti-virus, use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). It is very good now. Another option is Avast. AVG though is now junk.

Deleted
    If you manually delete the Curse Client from your system instead of uninstalling it, it will pop up on system launch prompting your to "repair" or "reinstall" it.

To remove this, delete the following file:
    Code:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\CurseClientStartup.ccip