Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to make Baleroc healing very very simple

My guild, <Reagan Smash> on US-Malygos got out server first kill on this guy last night (and are one of the first 5 guilds in the world to get the achievement; Share the Pain) using a strategy that, well, basically makes the fight a no-brainer.

What is required to make this strategy work;

SHADOW PRIESTS! - Atleast one, preferably 2 (10 man)

How this strategy works;

Throughout the boss fight, pink colored crystals will spawn and attach to the closest player via a 'laser beam' as I like to call it. The goal for this strategy is to let your shadow priest(s) take as many stacks of Torment as possible in order to give your healers as many stacks of the healing buff as possible at the very beginning of the fight when tank healing is fairly simple. We had 2 shadow priests in our first 10 man kill and they were both able to stay on one crystal for its entire duration (25 stacks of Torment). The hardest part about this strategy is timing your shadow priests timing their dispersion so the 25th tick of Torment doesn't kill them.

It's probably worth noting that we used 5 people in a 'rotation' to handle all the crystals, this is how we worked it.

Crystal 1 - Shadow#1 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
    Crystal 2 - Shadow#2 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
    Crystal 3 - 3 dps rotate on this crystal, the first two dps taking 9 stacks of Torment and the 3rd dps getting 7 stacks.
    Crystal 4 - Shadow#1 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
    Crystal 5 - Shadow#2 priest takes 25 stacks of Torment using dispersion.
    Crystal 6 - 3 dps rotate on this crystal, the first two dps taking 9 stacks of Torment and the 3rd dps getting 7 stacks.

If your shadow priests are using Glyph of Dispersion that cycle can continue until the boss is dead, which is actually unnecessary once your healers have 100-125+ stacks of Vital Spark. Our 3 healers ended the fight with just under 200 stacks of Vital Spark.

What needs to happen;

When a crystal spawns have one of your shadow priests go stand next to it. Healers will need to constantly be healing this person while they are healing the tank (which is why it's best to focus on this strategy early into the fight when tank healing is easy). As soon as your shadow priest hits 19 stacks of Torment they will need to use dispersion (or they will probably get one shot). If they time it properly their dispersion will last until the crystal has despawned. If you have more than one shadow priest in your raid then repeat this for the next crystal as well.

Our shadow priests were both able to take 25 stacks of Torment off the first 2 crystals, which made our healers end up with ~100 stacks of Vital Spark, so when they switched over to healing the tank the could use smaller, more mana-efficient heals such as Holy Light and Heal to keep the tank alive.

I'll post our kill video once we get it uploaded.

---------- Post added 2011-06-30 at 01:04 PM ----------

Kill video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RQCpCsAb34

Apologies for the sound quality at the very beginning of the video.
    Last edited by DeulonUS; 2011-06-30 at 10:09 PM.

This also works with rogues and DKs I believe... We just did it with 2 groups of 2 players taking 10-15 stacks each because we didn't have any of the aformentioned classes and the healers seemed to switch fine but I guess it depends on your group.

Yeah using any class that can get the stacks above 20 makes this fight a complete joke. After one rotation of this, heals can use the smallest heals they have on the tanks and still top them off almost immediately.
    Alt-aholics Anonymous member since 2005.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...totemic/simple
    85 Restoration Shaman, Elemental off-spec.

Deleted
    Got this on 25m tonight, didn't feel like anything special and we certainly weren't aiming for it.

You know it's probably easier to heal by using.. two DPS, since the only dangerous damage is the crystals, you don't need that many stacks for the tank healing.

Deleted
    Thats pretty much the standard tactic, Its wildly easy on normal mode tbh

Deleted
    So just going through the classes, who can actually fill this role do you think?

Shadow Priests
    Ret pallies (glyphed DP, 40%magic for 10 seconds) ?
    DKs? Anti magic shell only absorbs 1-2 ticks of it though
    Rogues? Does Cloak of Shadows remove the debuff and stop new stacks from reapplying?

Deleted
    Bump! How many stacks can you get as a UH dk?

Let me explain my thoughts and someone can prove me wrong.

Tank 1 - Tanks ALL Decimation Blades. (Only gets Stacks to bring his health a bit able 250k and only tanks decimation blades)

Tank 2 - Tanks the rest of the boss - Collects MANY MANY Stacks.. After about 5-6 stacks when he has 500k hp or so why doesn't he start tanking the crystals.. Getting a huge stack because of his huge health pool. Since he wont be tanking the decimation blades he wont take any shadow damage which makes the 250% fine..

Let me know if/why this wont work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Let me explain my thoughts and someone can prove me wrong.

Tank 1 - Tanks ALL Decimation Blades. (Only gets Stacks to bring his health a bit able 250k and only tanks decimation blades)

Tank 2 - Tanks the rest of the boss - Collects MANY MANY Stacks.. After about 5-6 stacks when he has 500k hp or so why doesn't he start tanking the crystals.. Getting a huge stack because of his huge health pool. Since he wont be tanking the decimation blades he wont take any shadow damage which makes the 250% fine..

Let me know if/why this wont work.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I was under the impression that the debuff reduced your healing received as well as healing done by 50%. If I am wrong on that then there is no reason why that tank can't tank a crystal, it would work very well. He could easily take an entire crystal by himself.

The only downside left at that point is that healing that tank will not give healers any new stacks of the buff, so it might throw that rotation out of skew. That's worth considering and I'm not sure how it would pan out.

Shadow priest disperse at 20 stacks, pushing 21 then disperse. it also helps to have a mirror of broken images

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I was under the impression that the debuff reduced your healing received as well as healing done by 50%. If I am wrong on that then there is no reason why that tank can't tank a crystal, it would work very well. He could easily take an entire crystal by himself.

The only downside left at that point is that healing that tank will not give healers any new stacks of the buff, so it might throw that rotation out of skew. That's worth considering and I'm not sure how it would pan out.
    – When Torment fades from a player, they are afflicted by the Tormented effect, which increases their Shadow damage taken by 250% and reduces the player's healing done by 50% for 40 sec.,3 Direct melee contact with any other player will apply a fresh copy of the Tormented effect to that player.

Has anyone tried having the maintank eat stacks?

Deleted
    Fyi rogues can not cloak it.

Deleted
    2 Tanks Why? We 2 Shotted the Boss with 3 Heals and one tank. It´s simple as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Has anyone tried having the maintank eat stacks?
    I haven't tried this, but it should work out like this:

- Eating the stacks works fine (in fact, makes the damage trivial)
    - No healer would be able to stack up vital sparks, as any heal on the tank would immediatly activate the buff.

That said, sofar I haven't come up with any reason why you couldn't use this on 25m melee shard, while your healers stack up their stacks on the ranged shard-target....

anyone?

Does this require 4 shadow priests in 25man raids?

Deleted
    This "tactic" might, but you definately don't need 4 SP's to kill it on 25m.

TBH we just single tanked this. Healers got so many stacks it was pointless to 2 tank it.

Could anyone explain how the 1 tank strategy works? We doing 10 man and got one Shadow Priest.
    Also, I was playing DK Frost and will change to DK Unholy, any idea how many stacks I can hold using my Anti-Magic Shell?

We got this down last week but just trying to understand the mechanics better.

Our shadow priests were both able to take 25 stacks of Torment off the first 2 crystals, which made our healers end up with ~100 stacks of Vital Spark, so when they switched over to healing the tank the could use smaller, more mana-efficient heals such as Holy Light and Heal to keep the tank alive.
    What is the reason behind doing this besides making it simpler? Does a single person tanking the crytals increase the healers stacks more than if we swapped 3 dps on them and the same healer healed them up?