Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Making Gold with JC

Hi guys!

Like title says, How a can make gold with JC? i just reached to 525 and im in the air xD. Can someone give me some tips to make a lot of gold? (i have mining 525 too)

ty

10+ Year Old Account
    Mining Ore, Prospecting it, even though they nerfed the vendor price of some, you can still prospect, get the green quality gems and make rings and necks. Also you can get gem cuts of each color, and cut them and sell. The Rings and Necks you make with green quality gems, can be disenchanted for enchanting mats, which should be selling pretty good. You also can spam trade while you do this as often as you can with LFW <Link your JC>, work on getting some tips while you prospect, are a few ways you can make some easy gold.

Deleted
    Jewelcrafting requires alot of work to make gold, first you need to do dailies for the gem patterns, then you have to prospect lots of ore. After that you need to camp auction house making gems because you have to deal with level ones that are online all day cancelling and relisting gems to undercut everyone, they must be bots.

Expect to see your mailbox filled with unsold gems every day.
    Last edited by mmoc7654e2e43d; 2011-07-01 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    Jewelcrafting requires alot of work to make gold and you have to deal with level ones that are online all day cancelling and relisting gems to undercut everyone, they must be bots.
    As a former JC who put a lot of time into the AH, I can say that most are NOT bots that do this... I myself was suspicious and would "friend" list those who undercut me and then /whisper them when I saw it, and surprisingly, most were the average Joe, in a very casual raiding guild, that just liked to play the AH. I see it as an addiction to the AH honestly, as I would find that some used 5-6 different toons to control the AH market for gems on one account that were the same person, all in reputable, but non progressive guilds.

Edit: my solution for the 1 copper undercutters was to just undercut the crap out of them (still making viable profit) every few logins or so. They would then unload a ton of gems at a stupid cheap price thinking there was a drop in price, which I would buy out, then I would relist later on at a resonalble price after they sold out.... The AH wave is a fun one to surf sometimes with those that also love to surf.
    Last edited by lukz; 2011-07-01 at 04:19 PM.

Since the patch I've made about 100,000 selling gems.

How, you ask? Seven Simple Steps:

1. Do the math. Know what you should expect to get on average from a stack of ore. If the value of the expected mats isn't THAT much better, it is a waste of your time.

2. Learn the cuts. There are only 7 gem cuts (not jewelry, gems) that I don't know. If I have uncut gems, chances are one of my cuts is selling.

3. Buy in bulk. A stack of 20 ember topaz for 460g may seem like a big purchase, but thats 23g per gem. Right now the LOWEST topaz cuts on my server sell for 35, and the higher ones go for 90+.

4. Spread it around. Except for rubies, you should never post more than 3 or 4 of one cut at a time. You'll get undercut before all of them sell.

5. Transmutation is your friend. Remember those ember topaz cuts that sell for 90? Most of the time you can buy the transmute mats (3 green gems and 3 herbs) for VERY low prices and transmute. Even rubies transmute, and I can spend 40g on mats for a gem that sells for 125 or more. Never transmute blues or yellows, they aren't worth it.

6. Don't forget the little guys. Ocean Sapphire and Amberjewel are usually the worst sellers on a server. Cut, they'll sell for 8-20g, usually around twelve. BUT, that means their uncut price is also low. I can buy bulk sapphires for 4g each, cut and sell for 12. IT may be a small amount, but I'm still tripling my gold.

7. Meta Gems. Transmute if you can to use some of your greens, and cut and sell. Even the vendor cuts can still sell for 225-250g each.

It takes work though, I check my auctions maybe 2-3 times a day on a weekend, and cutting, relisting, and reposting can take 15-20 minutes. Its worth it, though. I've already bought a few new collector mounts, including a savage raptor.

Do jewelcraft dailies, trade tokens for gems, sell gems, profit.

John

Recently it seems (on my sever anyway) that its harder and harder to make money with JC unless paired with another profession (alchemy or mining for example). The best way I've found is to xmute Inferno Rubies from alchemy and then cut them. Barking in trade with your profession doesn't hurt either

barking is the worst idea ever conceived. think of it this way. would you rather buy up all the inferno rubies for 50g on the ah, and relist them as cut gems for 150 and make a 100g profit, or would you like someone to buy that 50g ruby, bark for a jc in trade, and give them a measely 5g tip? barking is bad, dont do it. the less people on servers answer barking in trade, the more demand there is for cut gems, and thats where you make the real profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tordek View Post

1. Do the math. Know what you should expect to get on average from a stack of ore. If the value of the expected mats isn't THAT much better, it is a waste of your time.

2. Learn the cuts. There are only 7 gem cuts (not jewelry, gems) that I don't know. If I have uncut gems, chances are one of my cuts is selling.

3. Buy in bulk. A stack of 20 ember topaz for 460g may seem like a big purchase, but thats 23g per gem. Right now the LOWEST topaz cuts on my server sell for 35, and the higher ones go for 90+.

4. Spread it around. Except for rubies, you should never post more than 3 or 4 of one cut at a time. You'll get undercut before all of them sell.

5. Transmutation is your friend. Remember those ember topaz cuts that sell for 90? Most of the time you can buy the transmute mats (3 green gems and 3 herbs) for VERY low prices and transmute. Even rubies transmute, and I can spend 40g on mats for a gem that sells for 125 or more. Never transmute blues or yellows, they aren't worth it.

6. Don't forget the little guys. Ocean Sapphire and Amberjewel are usually the worst sellers on a server. Cut, they'll sell for 8-20g, usually around twelve. BUT, that means their uncut price is also low. I can buy bulk sapphires for 4g each, cut and sell for 12. IT may be a small amount, but I'm still tripling my gold.

7. Meta Gems. Transmute if you can to use some of your greens, and cut and sell. Even the vendor cuts can still sell for 225-250g each.

It takes work though, I check my auctions maybe 2-3 times a day on a weekend, and cutting, relisting, and reposting can take 15-20 minutes. Its worth it, though. I've already bought a few new collector mounts, including a savage raptor.

Pretty much this i myself have made close to 100k since patch as well.

I've made a lot of gold with jc as well this expansion and many of the things this guy said are true. I totally agree with points 1,2,4. However the prices on his server are very jc friendly it seems, keep in mind that on your own server transmuting might not be worth it.

Ocean Sapphire, Amberjewel and Dream emerald cuts only very rarely go above 10g on my server, even after the patch. Prepatch Demonseye/Ember Topaz cuts rarely went for above 20-25g and Inferno Ruby cuts were starting to drop below 40g. Luckily Demonseye/Ember Topaz and Inferno Ruby cuts have risen in price some since the patch. Most cut meta's go for only 80-100g on my server, but sometimes one can spike up to 150-170g (more common to happen to the dps meta's added later in the expansion)

Anyway my point is check your own server's prices before getting into this. Gem prices, ore prices, herb prices, DE mat prices and the amount of competition will all influence the amount of gold you can make. I mention DE mats because if transmuting a certain green gem isn't worth it you will want to cut it into rings/necks with jc and DE them. With the nerf to green gems vendorring for 50s, your server's DE mats need to have extremely bad vallues for it to be better to vendor the gems.

so for that matter the alchi I should use should be a transmutation master preferably right? is that worth it? because at the moment my alchi is a potion master and im also making a bit gold with that, but not sure how much more i would make if i made it into a transmutation master and used it to transmute gems which i then cut and sell with my JC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    so for that matter the alchi I should use should be a transmutation master preferably right? is that worth it?
    Definately, yes. I play the Ah since summer 2010 and pulled out more than 10 Million gold in overall volume of sales revenue/sales (~ 2,5 Mio earned/profit), most of it (~ 80 %) due to JC/gems. So I can prove you are able to "make gold " with JC (plus Transmute Alchi). Tons of it.

While Torden wrote a great post and comprehension I want to add an advice:

8. Camp the AH for a maximum of profits

I literally babysit my auctions one or two evenings per week because I realized that "time" you invest in babysitting your auctions is the "key" for maximum profits.

I undercut the competitors by just some copper. What "counts" is that your autions are listed as the cheapest ones. Camping during prime time before and after raids on a medium-crowed server usually nets me between 10K and 15K Gold per Session.
    Since 4.2. hit the floor, I camped, canceled and relisted my cuts every day since Wednesday more than 15 times (!) per hour, not only in that sessions but several times that days (only possible because I took 3 days of vacation).
    Besides that I reset the market several times and relisted all cut infernorubies and metagems for 299 gold each.

I was able to sell more than 1800 gems and my sales crossed the insane amount of 190.000 Gold (about 80K pure profit) within FIVE days, only with JC.

After some chat with the other AH barons it seems I completely owned the JC Market, many just quit relisting their gems as I undercut them within 240 seconds.
    You can't compete that insanity lol.

Thus, advice #8 is crucial in my humle opionion. But - to be honest - after that five days it was just "working" not playing and I am done with taht style of AH Camping for the next months. Till patch 4.3. arrives ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Embodier View Post
    Definately, yes. I play the Ah since summer 2010 and pulled out more than 10 Million gold in overall volume of sales revenue/sales (~ 2,5 Mio earned/profit), most of it (~ 80 %) due to JC/gems. So I can prove you are able to "make gold " with JC (plus Transmute Alchi). Tons of it.

While Torden wrote a great post and comprehension I want to add an advice:

I literally babysit my auctions one or two evenings per week because I realized that "time" you invest in babysitting your auctions is the "key" for maximum profits.

I undercut the competitors by just some copper. What "counts" is that your autions are listed as the cheapest ones. Camping during prime time before and after raids on a medium-crowed server usually nets me between 10K and 15K Gold per Session.
    Since 4.2. hit the floor, I camped, canceled and relisted my cuts every day since Wednesday more than 15 times (!) per hour, not only in that sessions but several times that days (only possible because I took 3 days of vacation).
    Besides that I reset the market several times and relisted all cut infernorubies and metagems for 299 gold each.

I was able to sell more than 1800 gems and my sales crossed the insane amount of 190.000 Gold (about 80K pure profit) within FIVE days, only with JC.

After some chat with the other AH barons it seems I completely owned the JC Market, many just quit relisting their gems as I undercut them within 240 seconds.
    You can't compete that insanity lol.

Thus, advice #8 is crucial in my humle opionion. But - to be honest - after that five days it was just "working" not playing and I am done with taht style of AH Camping for the next months. Till patch 4.3. arrives ;-)
    yea but how much was the profit margin on each gem? on my server i can transmute inferno rubies for 50g and only sell them for 66g ... and its not like you sell 1000 a day or so. so i really find it hard to believe that you can make that much gold so fast with gems..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    yea but how much was the profit margin on each gem? on my server i can transmute inferno rubies for 50g and only sell them for 66g ... and its not like you sell 1000 a day or so. so i really find it hard to believe that you can make that much gold so fast with gems..
    I stockpiled several hundred stacks of ore which I bought cheap in April and May: Elementium 18-22 G/Stack; Obsisium 20-24 G/Stack; Pyrite 80-95 Gold/Stack.
    Furthermore I bought all cheap Carnelians and Nightstones and Hessonites plus the required herbs to transmute them into raw blue gems.

I was prepared with more than 2000 raw blue gems and shadowspirit diamonds and 75 Nightmare Tears (Prisma Slot) which I sell alone most times (for 399 Gold each).

After all I had tons of raw gems, prospected, transmuted and sniped out of the AH. My strategy was supplemented by buying cheap raw green+blue+meta gems, even several cut blue ones: In spring, cut inferno rubies went for 40-60 Gold on my server. I parked them in my guild banks (I own three GBs).

The costs of my raw mats are about 45 G for infernos and below 25 gold for all 5 other raw gems, shadowspirits cost me about 55 Gold.

Don't nail me here but considering my stats (you can check yours, too, the values aren't negative anymore:Achievements --> Statistics --> Charakter --> Wealth) and my amount of gold + "market value" of items/mats in the bank it seems my profits are ~ 25 % of all sold stuff.
    Thats my evaluation, it's really difficult to calculate because I invest most of my money in new raw mats etc, I have lots of gold "floating".

Edit#2 @ Jainzar: Don't forget I was referring my actuall sales to the patchday! I am not able to get that huge return of invest within that short time in the next months.
    Patch days are an exceptional situation where demand is exorbitant bigger than the supply for some days.
    Last edited by mmoc06f8203238; 2011-07-04 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Embodier View Post

This is very good advice. While all the little tricks that Tordek wrote in his post are certainly important, but in my experience nothing boosts your turnover and thus your profit as much as babysitting your auctions.

It is a very tedious and boring process (and some might even call it pathetic to some degree), but if you constantly cancel and relist to always be the cheapest, you will maximise your profit. The best time to do this is obviously right after a patch day, since that's when demand is the highest.

The margins on some gems can be quite nice. I'm not talking about turning 50g into 66 with a ruby transmute, I'm talking about snapping up amberjewel, ocean saphire, and forest emerald for FIVE gold and selling them cut for 10-25. You don't sell a lot, but the margins are EXCELLENT.

I do a bit of AH babysitting, but I think you'll find that keeping your batches of cuts small (no more than 3-4 of a cut at a time) prevents undercutting.

The margins on some gems can be quite nice. I'm not talking about turning 50g into 66 with a ruby transmute, I'm talking about snapping up amberjewel, ocean saphire, and forest emerald for FIVE gold and selling them cut for 10-25. You don't sell a lot, but the margins are EXCELLENT.

I do a bit of AH babysitting, but I think you'll find that keeping your batches of cuts small (no more than 3-4 of a cut at a time) prevents undercutting.
    yea of course the margin is very good on ocean saphire forest emerald etc but also the pure amount of profit is pretty low. you make 15-20 gold on each gem, thats right, but you dont sell a lot of them. so those cant really be your main income i guess?

TBH, your profit margin in percentages is not really important, what counts in the end is profit per time (and mouseclicks) invested.

If i can buy something for 1000 g and sell it for 1100 g I make more money with less work than buying 10 items for 10 g each and selling them on for 15 g.

I wouldn't say that I don't sell a lot. When talking about gems where I buy for 5 and sell for 15-20, I probably do 50-60 of them a day, which is over 700g just from 'worthless' gems.

If you wanted another profession to go along with jewelcrafting, it would be alchemy.

Max both of those and have at least one character with each profession maxed. I used to have this on my old account and I had multiple 80s. Around 3 of them has jewelcrafting maxed I used to do the jewelcrafting daily for each of them, and I would use the other profession slot to make sure I had all professions covered.

Also max cooking as that is another set of easy dailies for gold.