Alysrazor 25 - DPS split and "air force"

After killing the other 3 start bosses, we had our first attempts on Alysrazor last night. Aside from major fail on the tornadoes we were struggling to get the hatchlings down in time before the tornadoes appear:

- Our tanks were doing 110-140k dps each, that seems about right.
    - We split up the dps in 2 groups. One of them could kill their hatchling *just* before the tornadoes, the other one usually had it left on 10-15%. We used a basic 'burn the initiates' --> dps the hatchling until a new one spawns - tactic.

We had 2 arcane mages going up in the air, thinking that all the managains would enable them to do retarded damage. We also send up a shadowpriest, who ended up destroying the mages on the damage meters..... (initially we send up a rogue as well, but he was struggling to combine dps'ing with finding the rings)

So my questions:
    - How many dps do you send up in the air? Which classes? Which classes did you find benefit the most from the buffs?
    - What approach did you use for the ground dps, aside from the obvious split between 2 sides?

Arcane mages don't do that well just because they cap from their benefit of haste relatively quickly, whereas dot classes don't. We sent 4 melee upstairs and had everyone else downstairs to manage the adds, and the hatchlings were tending to die right as the tornadoes came out.

Really you can do the fight without anyone upstairs, it just speeds things along to put a little less pressure on everyone, the real requirement of the fight is downstairs.

Edit: with the 4 melee upstairs we killed it in 2 burn phases.
    double edit: with regards to picking people upstairs, the ground level favors range just because they don't have to run around quite as much, and they can cast while they do run. Being able to multidot 3 things as opposed to a melee smacking one is a huge boost. Ideally you'll want to find a class that loves haste and just can't get enough of it, because otherwise (like with the arcane mages) you're kind of hindering yourself there. Really the priority for upstairs though is finding the people in your raid who can handle it without fail, sending up a warlock over your mages won't help anything if he can't maintain his wings.
    Last edited by Penguin FTW; 2011-07-01 at 06:32 AM.

Arcane mages don't do that well just because they cap from their benefit of haste relatively quickly, whereas dot classes don't
    Even though our AB does cap fairly quickly, the haste buff also provides increased mana regeneration with each stack, which is pretty beneficial for our mastery, so it's still not a bad idea to send one up if you want.

If you time your own personal burn phase properly and get the 75% crit buff, pretty sure you will top DPS during the boss' burn phase compared to any other class that goes upstairs.
    Last edited by Matik; 2011-07-01 at 08:12 AM.

Deleted
    Youve got it generally sorted, Make sure the 2 sides of dps have an even split of multi dotters. So even when your killing initiates you have all 2/3 ranged on both sides maintaining dots on the whelplings aswel.

Also as far as im aware the whelps dont cleave, so make sure that there kept as close to the initiates as possible so melee on initiates dont spend 20 seconds running between them doing zero dps.

---------- Post added 2011-07-01 at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    So my questions:
    - How many dps do you send up in the air? Which classes? Which classes did you find benefit the most from the buffs?
    - What approach did you use for the ground dps, aside from the obvious split between 2 sides?
    We sent 5 dps up, and left 6 dps on each side. 2 warriors 2 shadow priests and a frost dk. Not sure how i could say who benefitted most, but 1 of the shadow priests up there maintained about 70k dps, while the other 4 going up were only around 40k.

The approach for the ground dps, 2 melee on each side for interupts. They were on initiates mostly, All ranged multi dotted initiates but mostly on hatchlings.

Deleted
    The Voracious Hatchlings most definitely do have a cleave: their Gushing Wound is a 10 yard 60 degree cone effect: you don't really want a 15k dps DoT on more people than it has to be! Also, the tanks need to be able to feed the hatchlings Lava Worms every so often so positioning them near the Initiates for any length of time whilst also ensuring that you don't cleave people already on the Initiates would be a challenge.

We downed it tonight. We went through several logs last night to see what top guilds do. The answer is... everyone sends something different. Some send DK's, Ferals, Rogues, Mages, SP. Really though, all you have to do is SURVIVE and kill the major adds.

1) We sent 4 melee up tonight, they were brand new at the fight, and they absolutely failed, and failed hard, BUT we still killed the boss cause we simply survived 3 crashes. I honestly don't think she has an enrage timer. Our kill attempt was 13 minutes and 14 seconds -_-.

2) Because of what I mentioned in 1, it's quite important to keep a decent amount of ranged dps on the ground, that way they can switch to the tank adds between the casters, and they can dot up all the large adds. Tanks simply cannot solo the large adds, they need help from DPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    <-- Shamelessly plugging my own thread, but honestly there is some good info in there about the fight. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ght-Which-spec. BTW as of this morning 12 of the top 21 damage done logs on WOL were from a Fire mage (other then tanks ofc). The remaining 9 were from 1 aff. lock and 8 spriests. Combat/Ass Rogues, Fury Warrios and Moonkins are all doing considerately high dps on this fight. Arcane mages are averaging at ~44k, Fire mages are averaging ~60k. Imo, you shouldn't send an Arc mage up there, anything else I listed has the potential to do more dmg throughout the fight.

P.S. Matik: With 25 stacks, AP and all my cd's up I was only critting for 175k with 371 ilvl gear so that ~175k dps. As fire there are ppl bursting for 825k dps. Chain sub gcd pyro's with cd's leading to combustion is a better burn then any other class. Arcane is prob close to 2nd though, since the 175k dps is sustained for most of the 30 secs (depending on cd's).
    Last edited by Brewswami; 2011-07-01 at 10:20 AM.
    Jobahlie-Mage- Only of it's kind since Vanilla WoW

Deleted
    We sent only 1 person up in the end, a boomkin.
    Next reset I'm sure we'll send 2 or 3 up as whilst there is no enrage (or at least one we got near), a fight lasting 12 mins is no fun for anyone when it can be made quicker.

Thorns on the add tanks is win.