Hunter popularity in Cataclysm

Have you noticed we are getting more popular by the day? No offence to new rerolls (welcome btw ) but I kinda liked it more in WotLK.

Firelands trash and Bot/BWD nerfs have resurrected the pugging scene and pugs are again a common sight. If only getting into one as a hunter wasn't so difficult.

For what it's worth, warcraftcensus supports these observations - we have left the pre-cataclysm levels of being positioned with the other classes and rocketed upwards, approaching paladins. And while paladins have 3 gear specs to share loot between, we have only one.

Too often I've seen the "no hunters plz" suffix of trade LFM adverts. Because half of the time there are already 2-3 present and the other half a hunter is the one leading it. It makes sense for a hunter to lead his/her own raid to guarantee a spot but this creates even more problems for other hunters.

I admit I do enjoy the position at the top of the charts. But I very rarely get to enjoy it in a pug setting nowadays because first I'd have to get into one.

What's your opinion on this? Would you rather be OP or the underdog?
    Last edited by Fraza; 2011-07-01 at 05:03 PM.

There will always be a place for GOOD hunters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually just said to my trade chat yesterday: Congrats, server. I think we actually have more DPS warrior than hunters now!

(Which is true, but not the point.)

There's always been a lot of hunters. They've done absolutely everything in their power to make it the most new-character friendly class in the game over the years, while still retaining that "Easy-to-learn-hard-to-master" appeal for the vets. Combine that with the recent attention to the new pets in Firelands and there you have it. It's just a very interesting class to be at the moment. I've even opted to start leveling my (75ish) hunter again instead of taking alts through the dailies.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvision View Post
    There will always be a place for GOOD hunters.
    In a guild I agree - and in a guild I have experienced no such problems. But when a hunter is leading a pug firelands trash raid dreaming about the polearm/crossbow, he's not going to care how good the other hunters wanting to join are - loot competition is loot competition.

The realm I'm on, is filled with hunters. My fellow officer was complaining yesterday that every whisper he got from another class, he'd have atleast 4 hunters whispering him aswell.

I blame the "Paladin Vs Hunters pet" video. OP Hunters!

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

With the focus mechanic, there's never been a time where it was more fun to play a hunter. We've got it good right now. I don't blame people for wanting to be a part of that.

I have to agree. Mana worked, but focus just feels right. Not to mention it did wonders for us at lower levels. I distinctly remember spending way too much time drinking or just standing around waiting for mana to regen when leveling a hunter. BG's were even worse, you had enough to fight for 20-30 seconds at most. If you didn't kill your opponent in that time, you were dead. Now we're a freight train of unstoppable death while leveling or in low end bg's.
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life.
    My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

15+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are by far the most newbie-friendly class in the game, and when people ask which class they should start out with (which class their new friend should start out with) they are often told that hunters are the easiest to play.

As they are. With the ranged capability, a pocket tank and enough armor to survive a melee confrontation while levelling, you have to actually try very hard to die as a hunter.

Playing them competitively is another matter entirely.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but, the graph shows it remains nearly the same. If anything, the number of mages went down while the overall population seems smaller.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Sorry but, the graph shows it remains nearly the same. If anything, the number of mages went down while the overall population seems smaller.
    Absolute numbers don't mean as much. If the population of hunters remains the same while other classes are lower in numbers, it does mean there are more hunters per group than before.

You also have to remember that there are THREE great upgrades for Hunters dropping in the Firelands Trash. T11 Trash, on the other hand, was pretty meh (a necklace that was barely better than the i346 JC amulet, a ring that was barely better than the i346 JC ring and no better than the rep ring, and the cloak).
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

just wanted to say that on my server (sargeras) the hunter population has never been overwhelming, and when i checked the census graph, it confirmed it. ours is 1)mage 2)pally 3)druid 4)hunter

i love my hunter, however, i also have other toons that i play (prot warrior, holy pally, arc/fire mage) if i am having trouble finding a group for my hunter

Deleted
    I havnt really seen "that" many hunters, there is more than rogues and warlocks, but thats more becouse they are underplayed, not becouse hunters are overplayed. i really find that there is no underplayed, and no overplayed class, and havnt been in the time ive been playing (about 4 years).
    But if there is many hunters atm, i can understand it, there rotation is fun compared to others, the focus mechanic is really great, and going out finding just the pet you want, i find that a lot of fun too

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Hunters are by far the most newbie-friendly class in the game, and when people ask which class they should start out with (which class their new friend should start out with) they are often told that hunters are the easiest to play.

As they are. With the ranged capability, a pocket tank and enough armor to survive a melee confrontation while levelling, you have to actually try very hard to die as a hunter.

Playing them competitively is another matter entirely.
    naah, you just have to pull like 10 mobs, and then be as nubish as me and forget to heal your pet ;/
    Last edited by mmoc79d521e3a8; 2011-07-01 at 09:08 PM.

Im sure http://stateofdps.com/ has nothing to do with it either