Poll: Why has Rock and Metal been replaced by Rap and Pop?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salintecra View Post
    Your Isis story sounds like total bliss! lol I've been dabbling into the dubstep genre as well actually. Some Flux Pavillion and RacknRuin. I listened to a Burial song, and we'd probably differ on our dub tastes, unless I hit a strange Burial song. Archangel is what I tried. But, differences happen right?
    Yeah, differences be differences. I like my dubstep to sound like something dark and obtuse hiding around in a dank cellar, and Burial provides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post

Incredible Lyricism about dreaming, amazing beat, great overall sound and the female vocals are beautiful. Count the number of times this gets radio time. The correct answer would be zero.
    Never heard of Him/them, that's actually very good and I hate rap other than maybe a bit of BoB

Anyway, I love rock / hardrock and a bit of metal but I really can not see the attraction of people wearing jeans round their ankles with drugs, money and women covering there bodies, yet people complain that Rock / metal is setting a bad example ? It astounds me.

Answer: Because people don't seem to like things like these anymore.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2nuZu-mmQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWTIgmAHFS4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLiyQzZu30 (not hard rock or anything, but still rock, they do heavier / faster songs, I just love his voice in this one. Opinions, brah.)
    Last edited by mmocd9628b4295; 2011-07-02 at 09:44 PM.

Deleted
    Rock and Metal music will always live on and be the best \m/ \m/

Deleted
    I looked at the whole SAT statement and that intelligent people listen to metal and I immediately bestowed both palms on my face. Listening to metal doesn't make you anymore smarter than listening to Justin Bieber (had to get an example somewhere) makes you anymore gay.
    I will agree with some points here so far in that maybe these things come and go in fads and come back again like a cycle. Again please refrain from bashing others music and don't use the whole HERP DERP MY OPINION > YOUR STATEMENT excuse.
    Listen to a genre before you judge it. At the moment I love Celldweller and Blue Stahli which are one man bands (multi instrumentalists) with many different genres such as Electronic, Metal and even a bit of dubstep too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    Sigh. Do you know that rap has it's roots in blues? And rock? Blues again.

I know it's cool and rebellious to close yourself in that tight metalhead ecosystem and oppose anything and everything different, but ffs, smell the coffee.

Rap takes skill. Rap takes passion. Fuck auto tune, listen to Jay-Z - DOA if you want an opinion on that.

I like metal. I like the subculture. I used to listen to technical death metal, visited concerts, all that shit. But god are some metalheads close minded. They call regular people the sheep of society for not daring to be different and then all dress exactly the same, in black jeans and band t-shirts. They diss every other musical genre and even subgenres of metal.

Climb out of your hole and perhaps you'll see there's music to enjoy in every genre. Why limit yourself with one? And music, regardless of genre, takes skill and passion.

The exact same can be said about all people and their tastes in music, you can claim all you want that you listen to every genre of music under the sun, while i personally listen to a few, metal mainly and some dubstep and 80's rock from time to time, people mainly only listen to one genre of music, that is fact. The majority of people are close minded not just metalheads.

People always assume the worst about other peoples favorite genre. When i meet people especially at clubs(Why no metal bars where i live =[ ) hear im a metal head they automatically go to bands that growl and scream a lot, which i do listen to but they don't realise metal has an unbelievable amount of hauntingly beautiful songs.

The same can be said for all genres. I know there is good RnB and rap out there but that is not whats on the radio and in clubs unfortunately.

TL;DR

Find what you like, if you don't like the mainstream stuff try and find some unheard gems of that genre and suck it up when at clubs etc, or get so drunk the music doesn't bother you.

I think everyone misses the obvious here...

Pop = Popular = always been popular and listened to.

i just listen to good music, i dont care about the genre :>

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    i just listen to good music, i dont care about the genre :>
    This is the 11th commandment.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I love Techno, Dubstep and Metal without a lot of screaming and guttural noises as that's not even music or lyrics. Some rap is okay, not that mainstream bullshit but the stuff with meaning and flow. Its just different generation different music, all of you 80's people, did you like you're parents music? did they like theirs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting topic. Really I think music tastes just change over time just like any kind of fashion. Part of it may simply be the fact that teens desire to be different then their parents so they will listen to different types of music. Also, the nature of the music industry has changed a great deal. It has always been about making money of course, but I think today people are less willing to take chances. They want to produce what will sell so they find and promote acts that are similar to acts that are already popular. Not to say more original acts do not exist, they are just usually on smaller labels or self produced.

Music is insanely varied, even within a certain genre. Hell, I would say Hip-hop is almost as varied if not more so then rock these days. You just have to go beyond what is played on the radio to find all the sub genres. People who say things like "I hate all rap" may have just not found any rap that they like. I would tell those people to keep an open mind (open ear?) cause you might be surprised. I myself would not consider myself a very big fan of rap/hip-hop, but have found a few acts that I really like. Japanese DJ Nujabes for example is simply amazing and not usually the kind of music I would listen to. Sometimes I really only like a song or two by an artist, like I think Asop Rock's None Shall Pass is great, but don't really like the rest of his stuff.

I am amazed to see so many metal fans in this thread. I am ashamed to say I have never really listened to much metal as the more popular bands never interested me. I prefer older 70's hard rock or more melotic newer types of rock like port-rock bands Russian Circles and Mogwai, math rock bands like Minus the Bear or This Town Needs Guns and indie bands like The Shins and Local Natives. Then again, most likely I just have not looked hard enough for a metal band I would like.

Thankfully, no one type of mucis will ever replace another. All kinds of music will continue to exist and new types will be made. Plus, it isnt like you have to stop listening to older music just cause it has been around for awhile. And to the guy who hates the Beatles, you might be surprised at just how varied that band was. I never liked them either thinking that all their music was like their early 60's pop stuff until I saw a movie called Across the Universe that used all Beatles music. They did some really ground breaking stuff in the later part of their time together. Revolver, The White Album and Abby Road are among some my all time favorite albums now. Who would ever think that this band:

or

Is the same band who made Love Me Do or I Want to Hold Your Hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    Never heard of Him/them, that's actually very good and I hate rap other than maybe a bit of BoB
    There's a huge difference between the "Rap" mentality and the "Hip-hop" mentality. Regardless of how bad media has lumped them together, there is truly a powerful difference. Most "rap" is more about the presentation than the content, and that's just a big no-no for me. If you liked that song, there's a couple of people who frequent these forums who could direct you to some very good music. It's out there and it's easily accessible, it's just not shoving itself into your ears like the more mainstream music of today.

/endpsuedohipsterbullshit

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 07:49 PM ----------

Not bad. I recognize that as pretty good even. Still a bit too much emphasis on the lyrics though, and not enough variations in the melody. Once it had it's set track it kinda stayed the same throughout. And I'm also a sucker for faster movement. :P But still, props to you. It's been a while since someone showed me something from that genre that I didn't absolutely hate, and longer still since I ventured into almost good. lol
    Sometimes, I also get in moods where I just don't want the vocals crowding an otherwise good song. I've got a bunch of "Wildcards" that I pull out in these scenarios. Stuff like this:

Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Music is why I'm here' not words. If a song has amazing talent in the instrument field, and the sound is good, I'll give it its due credit. But from past experience, hip-hop and rap doesn't really have what I'm looking for. And you;re right, I probably just haven't looked hard enough, and that may be, but until I hear something that changes my generalization of hip hop and rap, I'll still to the beautiful instrumentation of the metal scene.

TL;DR: I hate words. Give me sound.
    Ever heard Nujabes? I find his stuff to be truly beautiful. Sadly, he was taken from the world way to early in Feb. of last year, but his music lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    There's a huge difference between the "Rap" mentality and the "Hip-hop" mentality. Regardless of how bad media has lumped them together, there is truly a powerful difference. Most "rap" is more about the presentation than the content, and that's just a big no-no for me. If you liked that song, there's a couple of people who frequent these forums who could direct you to some very good music. It's out there and it's easily accessible, it's just not shoving itself into your ears like the more mainstream music of today.
    This isn't really true. There isn't a rap mentality; rapping is simply the vocal technique of following the rhythm of a song with wordplay. Hip Hop is a whole subculture that encompasses genres, social groups and more. In this day and age, both are used interchangeably.

What your referring to is simply the distinction between having the passion, creativity and intelligence to create good hip hop, and being an untalented image-totting fool or even just not caring enough beyond the all mighty dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by black-morph View Post
    The exact same can be said about all people and their tastes in music, you can claim all you want that you listen to every genre of music under the sun, while i personally listen to a few, metal mainly and some dubstep and 80's rock from time to time, people mainly only listen to one genre of music, that is fact. The majority of people are close minded not just metalheads.
    You are right of course, especially with the general public. However out of the innumerable number of people I've known who were really into their music (as in, actively seeks music and doesn't just listen to what's fed to them by the radio and their friends) the ones who were really into their metal (aka Metalheads) had much more narrow tastes and would scoff at anything else. On a side-note, they all claimed to be into classical and jazz music, whilst failing to mention anyone but Mozart or Miles Davies, giving me the impression that they were just saying that for credibility.

The thing is a metalhead, by the very definition of the word, is going to be narrow minded. If you had much broader tastes and listened to metal, electronic music, hip-hop, indie etc. then you wouldn't be a metalhead. Or maybe It's naive of me to think being a metalhead is purely about what music you listen to.

Didn't read the whole thread, but it's pretty simple. Rap/Pop/Country/R&B is what sells and that's what'll get pushed by the music industry.

Because no one knows what is quality anymore, growing up listening to utter crap for so long.

I think it's because people can connect with the lyrics in rap sometimes. With pop I think people just like the atmosphere it generates, something fun you can listen and dance to.

I love all kinds of music, rock included, but I can't stand metal. To me they are screaming utter shit down a microphone as loud as they can, how am I suppose to connect to the song or appreciate the lyrics?

Quote Originally Posted by black-morph View Post
    It's okay to have a narrow taste. I don't listen to every genre, far from it. But at the same time I don't go around and say genre x sucks because of reason y but ultimately only because it's something I don't listen to. There's a difference between liking a specific genre and being a dick about every other. Liking and listening to one genre isn't being narrowminded. Not being open to other genres and calling them crap without having any insight whatsoever is. Etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different generation and evolution of music... its that simple.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Times change and people change but rock/metal will always live on. As far as how popular it is who cares as long as we can still headbang to our tunes?