Archaeology Letdown?

So I for one, enjoy archaeology greatly. In fact, its was started a nerd fest into WoWLore. I went out, bought all the books, and have been reading them pretty consistently.

So, anyways, we hear all the half-truth's that archaeology was going to be fixed in 4.1. It was going to be made easier to focus on specific races, etc. Didn't really notice anything except, Tol'vir was a bit more common than before. They added a few vanity items, a few pieces of BoA gear. Still didn't really fix much.

So here we are, 2? 3? 4? months after 4.1? I don't really recall anymore (it was a useless patch IMHO). And its pretty much been tossed by the wayside.

What I would like to see:

-Race Focus: Irregardless of what the RNG that pops up the digsites says, I don't need to do Night Elf dig sites after I've gotten all the rares and commons.
    -Cut back on certain races: Night elf and Troll both have a ridiculous amount of spawn points. Get rid of half of them and put in a new race, something, anything.

-Items that can actually be used: While the Headdress of the First Shaman is a pretty nice helm for a level 61 hunter, you can literally go through level 61-70 in a few hours of quest grinding and dungeons. Yes, I understand that it is from a lvl 60-70 area(s), but that doesn't change the fact that it has no use other than maybe on a RP server.

A lot of things that could be fixed, but probably won't be. Any thoughts on the matter?

I think they said they would allow you to focus on specific races later. The thing I want to see most though is being able to send EVERYTHING made from archaeology to other characters. I don't have the room to hold all this crap on my main even though it's fun to use sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

we have the museum to look forward to, that should be fun, lore wise.

Deleted
    Archeology is boring and a waiste of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Camy View Post
    /youropinion

I agree with racial tracking,at least to be able to go after the rares you want.At least the re-organising of vendor prices for the commons was a step in the right direction.
    I wear a Fez now.Fezzes are cool.

I seem to remember seeing something between 4.1 and 4.2 that in a future patch there'd be something like Arch dailies that would let you focus on a specific race.

But yeah, making the cosmetic stuff BoA would be nice, and I'm in Linlol's case where my Arch toon is losing lots of bag space trying to hold all this extra crap, because of course I'm getting all the cosmetic stuff before the useful BoAs.

i also read that they should implement a system that made it easier to concentrate on what u need but i never noticed any difference at all. i thought it was something they never made and saved it for some later patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not every useable item needs to be max level, remember in next expansion the level 85 items will be considered low level items and people will probably do like you an QQ about them if they don't RP and stuff.

Archaeology is currently an almost obsolete Profession because the Items you get from archaeology is only ilvl359, Za / Zg Stuff got 353, FL Trash weapons got a much higher itemlvl, so doing Archaeology for a Weapon is currently a big waste of time (Even if their "dropchance" wouldn't be so low).

Only the Pets / Mounts are worth doing Archaeology, and those other Vanity items are a big letdown for me, those transformation items would be cool if they last longer and wouldn't break on any action.

i like archaeology but i never got an usable epic out of it.
    all the fun items are cool like the one that makes you bigger or the wie green shine in the air.
    i started the profession for zin'rokh but come on that will never dropp

It's essentially a huge time sink with the ever persistent element of luck and RNG.

The flavor text and the descriptions for most of the artifacts did not relate to current game lore at all. It's like super short stories about how some no name Orc Chief got assassinated, or how a bunch of nobodies killed a dragon we've never even heard of before.

Why not relate some items to actual lore figures? There's a lot of potential there, and you get to please some lore buffs.

On the plus side, creating a bunch of common artifacts worth 100+ gold back to back is pretty neat. It's basically free gold. The mounts, pets, and some of the novelty items are pretty cool.

There's a lot of negative blokes in here that don't pay attention; They DID make it easier to focus on branches. Once you've found all the rares of a branch, the chance of that branch popping a digsite is reduced by a significant amount. I've found all my elf and fossil rares, and while I don't get nonstop tol'vir sites in Kalimdor, I do get them about 3 out of 4 times. I have gotten TWELVE consecutive tol'vir digsites in a row, I've even done a count and in a lucky run discovered that I'd gotten 16 tol'vir spawns out of 20.

Don't say they didn't change it, just admit you're upset they didn't make it as easy as pushing a button and getting automatic digsites.

Deleted
    Actually they did make it so you can concentrate on races! After you find all of the rare artifacts from a certain race that races dig sites won't be as common. This is not as good as some of the ideas here but atleast it is something right? Now excuse me while I go farm the Tol'vir staff for a couple more hours before I collapse.
    Edit: Tordek beat me ! D:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Camy View Post
    Let me guess, we should all go play Rift, right? (This person just made a thread telling people to play Rift, I'm not just digging at Rift for no reason)

I've stopped with Archaeology because I only want Tol'vir digsites now. I have all of the Night Elf stuff and all of the Fossil stuff (except the Shield), yet when I'm digging in Kalimdor I'm forced through so many Night Elf and Fossil sites. I'll give it another try at some point (still want that mount), but for now I'm not even bothering. I also might go through Outlands and Northrend for some more stuff, since I haven't got the 100 common artifacts achievement yet. It doesn't give any reward, but it won't hurt to get it.
    I think they should just give digsites a much lower chance to spawn if you've got all of the rares. Before I did used to love it when my Archy AddOn would tell me that all four digsites are Night Elf, but now I don't need Night Elf fragments at all, it's kind of depressing when it pops up with four Night Elf digsites. Also, I was hoping they'd put in another couple of items for 4.2, but oh well

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cryru View Post
    Actually they did make it so you can concentrate on races! After you find all of the rare artifacts from a certain race that races dig sites won't be as common. This is not as good as some of the ideas here but atleast it is something right? Now excuse me while I go farm the Tol'vir staff for a couple more hours before I collapse.
    Edit: Tordek beat me ! D:
    You sure about that? I've got all of the Night Elf stuff but haven't noticed even the slightest drop in Night Elf digsites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    Let me guess, we should all go play Rift, right? (This person just made a thread telling people to play Rift, I'm not just digging at Rift for no reason)

I've stopped with Archaeology because I only want Tol'vir digsites now. I have all of the Night Elf stuff and all of the Fossil stuff (except the Shield), yet when I'm digging in Kalimdor I'm forced through so many Night Elf and Fossil sites. I'll give it another try at some point (still want that mount), but for now I'm not even bothering. I also might go through Outlands and Northrend for some more stuff, since I haven't got the 100 common artifacts achievement yet. It doesn't give any reward, but it won't hurt to get it.
    I think they should just give digsites a much lower chance to spawn if you've got all of the rares. Before I did used to love it when my Archy AddOn would tell me that all four digsites are Night Elf, but now I don't need Night Elf fragments at all, it's kind of depressing when it pops up with four Night Elf digsites. Also, I was hoping they'd put in another couple of items for 4.2, but oh well

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:39 PM ----------

You sure about that? I've got all of the Night Elf stuff but haven't noticed even the slightest drop in Night Elf digsites.
    Yes I'm sure! I read it on so many places so many times but now I just can't find it! Curse my luck! I think it was in a Queue (WoW Insider? wow.joystiq.com) question and I think I also saw it here too.

I sure do enjoy playing with my Doll. I know Tyrande liked it.

Took me like 4 days of straight flying around to get it. Love it... Well the Doll but not necessarily Archaeology as a profession, it's nice though.

What did you really expect. It's a secondary profession. Besides a new kind of cloth, some new species of fish, and some new cooking recipes the other secondary professions get nada each new expansion. Expect some new rares here or there with new content patches - but I doubt you'll be seeing it EVERY content patch.

I used to do archeology because I wanted that blasted troll sword, I have 27 rares and never got the troll sword. Now, being that ilvl 378 is the new hotness I don't even want the sword anymore and archeology is as good as dead to me. Has anyone else tried to do archeology when they are not actively grinding it for something specific, meaning just doing archeology to do archeolgy, it's a god awful experience.
    Last edited by slime; 2011-07-03 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typos, grammer

It was planned to keep you out of the cities, sitting there bored.

Now it just has you cross the world, flying around bored.

*myopinionismyopinion*

Honestly I think it could use some work, but I'm not entirely sure what could all be done. With Blizzard's current model of archaeology, they'd have to do some pretty massive changes to make it fun.

Well, i kind of like the vanity-stuff, the BoA epics are fodder for new alts now since even non-raiders can get equal or better items by other means, unless something big gets changed in the epics' droprate, JP-gear or craftables will be way faster to get, so it's IMO best if Blizz focuses on cool vanity items (love "ancient amber", fossilized night elf FTW :P ), and some quality-of-life issues, like making the interface better, because needing multiple addons to make finding fragments reliable is pretty weak...

flying at flight ceiling while you alt-tab reading forums is not much better than sitting around org while alt-tabbed reading forums. just sayin.

I guess it did it's job in that it makes some people stay logged on when they otherwise would log out.