Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lets hope game makers will stand behind their fans and community members to oppose the gaming portion of this bill.

Proud Member of Respected and Despised (SWTOR USA PST Empire).
    Dark Days are Coming....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavus View Post
    Lets hope game makers will stand behind their fans and community members to oppose the gaming portion of this bill.
    Or they could just not claim copyright, you know, like they're doing now.

Never will happen. unless you sheep let it.

tl;dr: The law isn't going to stop you or anyone else from doing what you do. Most streamers won't hit either of the milestones the law outlines, let alone both of them. Read the law, and learn about what it'll do before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Monkey View Post
    Exactly! Build more prisons! Make more laws! Raise taxes to further incarcerate people! If the jails over crowded, early release for rapists and murderers. We cannot allow people to view material they didn't pay for! Think of Hollywoodstein!
    The prisons that would hold people for these crimes aren't overcrowded. The prisons you're talking about hold blue-collar criminals, like the murderers and rapists. And being overcrowded won't lead to serious offenders being released. I don't know where you got this garbage, but it's horribly inaccurate.

For the third time, this law will not go after the average streamer. This is for larger illegal streaming sites. This won't stop you, or me from uploading your raids or clips from our favorite movies and the like.

Don't worry about our country being defrauded by Wall Streetstein, or Bankstein. No jail time for those people.
    You know what lead to this financial nightmare? Stupid people being taken advantage of. People being led on by bankers into loans they couldn't afford; sheep who let the american dream cloud their judgement. Is that horrible? Yes. Should we have prevented it? Most definitely. But is it illegal? In most cases, no. These people were taking huuuuuuge risks, and their willful ignorance led to their situation.

We do put white-collar criminals in prison. Madoff being a prime example, but there are others. Just last Thursday, a banker was sentenced to twenty years for fraud. Did you hear about it? Did you hear about the two ponzi schemes busted in Florida earlier this year? And this is what I can remember off the top of my head.

White-collar crime, by it's very nature, is difficult to weed out and prosecute. It can take years to garner enough evidence, and bring people to trial. By the time it happens, it's often out of the public purview. But we do make progress, and just because you don't know about doesn't mean it isn't happening.

We must divert our legislative resources, so Holllywoodstein doesn't even lose one cent, to someone watching copy righted material!
    People deserve to earn money for their work, and previous laws have been pussyfooting around this issue for years. I mean, if you think laws should only be going after hardcore criminals and bankers in the first place, I guess tax cheats, hackers, and other major white-collar crimes are free to go?

And if they are THROW THEM IN JAIL! Not the Wall Streetsteins, and Banksteins. Those are good people, victims themselves caught up in the system.
    *sigh* If only I could punch through the internet ...

People, READ THE LAW before you comment. Read a better summary than the garbage the OP posted. Please.

As earlier stated, companies such as Google have far too much politcal influence for this to happen.
    Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt America has the authority to do this to everyone even Americans. It's like trying to stop every terrorist, it's impossible.
    -Insert flashy and awesome Photoshop signature of my WoW character here-

Video Game companies would be stupid to actually prosecute people for this, since they often rely on these things for promotion.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

As Blizzard grants us, the players, the right to use their game to make non-commercial videos and machinimas -- I forsee little issue with this with regards to WoW stuff on youtube etc.

Clint Hackleman posted this on his Myndflame blog about Blizzard's Machinima Policy: http://myndflame.com/blogs/myndflame...ma-law-part-1/

Lol, good luck enforcing it.

Deleted
    What I won't get though is, why would the game companies bother? If anything it's more commercial for them if they let Machinima/etc. shown and we all know copyright laws aren't enforced untill the company itself starts to complain to the sites like youtube.

Not much to add other than what's already been said. Game companies already had the legal right to stop your streams and claim copyright. But they don't for reasons already listed. I don't see any major change coming from this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutragedFormula View Post
    So, you're main issue with the law isn't the fact that it makes something (more) illegal, but the fact that it sends people who steal to JAIL? When you ignore copyright, you are just as much of a thief as any other thief. It doesn't make you any less of a lawbreaker.

The police won't be wasting their time when they catch you, if that's the main issue you're having.
    So you're telling me that tankspot is the same as the guy who just robbed a 7-11?
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Well, Rift videos will still be fine

You know how they personally coded youtube uploadablilty into the game to let you do it easier?

Yeah, the bill is bogus, but I'm sure WoW and others could just do the same.....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Deleted
    Gahahahah!!!!!

Ey yo, why are you in jail?
    Oh, you know i uploaded videos when i played Call of Duty...

Quote Originally Posted by OutragedFormula View Post
    Jesus.

S 978 isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. In a nutshell, it states that streamers can face jail time only when
    • They show 10 or more "public performances" by electronic means in any 180-day period and
    • The total retail value of those performances tops $2,500 or the cost of licensing such performances is greater than $5,000
    Nvm do not read
    Last edited by Poppasan; 2011-07-02 at 06:02 PM.