Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Suggest me some RTS games.

Okay, so, I've got Warcraft III sitting on my computer and I intend on playing the hell out of it soon. However, it's kind of short so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for me? I'm not looking for futuristic or modern RTS games unless they're really good but they also have to not be too graphic heavy. My computer is nearly seven years old so try to keep that in mind. If it takes place in a medieval setting or something similar, then bonus points to you. Oh and I'm a big fan of the Sim City series so if you know any games similar, feel free to add them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Total Annihilation.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best I ever played was Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings.
    "The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

10+ Year Old Account
    League of Legends, Total war: Shogun 2, Age of Empires

The only similar games to War3, as in , fantasy rts with different races and building/resources are: Armies of Exigo and Lotr: War of the Ring. In both you can also custom game like in war3 against other factions and construct buildings, gather resources etc, but also good fantasy campaign.
    This are like the only ones similar with War3. A bit sad yea, the rest are just with armies on a field and u control/tell how to attack and stuff, no base construction or resources to gather. Most strategy medieval games are like Total War games.

Rise of Nations and its expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alone on the mountainside, breathing the clearest winds...
    It is not RTS, but Turn Based, but X-Com:UFO Defense... One of the greatest PC games of all time. It will definitely play on a old comp. (Old Game, but I loved it) The base building is very similar to SimCity, but there are additional elements of squad based combat, research and development, and some elements of Diplomacy. A bonus for me is each soldier you recruit has their own name, making for some interesting backstories floating around in your head while playing, and a somewhat more personal feel when a death occurs (frequently)

As far as old school goes Myth was a pretty fun game back in the old days. More of a pure battle rts, small scale with a party of under 20...

I am not sure if you can play TW: SHogun 2 on a 7 year old PC, but the other games in the Total War series are possibilities. All good games, and there are several historical periods and locales to choose from.

I'll also mention Heroes of Annihilated Empire... While flawed in some parts, the game can still be fairly fun, and has a strong fantasy theme and an interesting "story campaign" style with smaller scale battles (couple 100 at a time, with hero classes) it is by no means the best game out there, the voice acting is mediocre, for example... But it is well worth the price tag if you can find it cheap (pretty likely)

Age of Empires or Civilizations can be fun, and generally are pretty PC friendly. I prefer AofE, but have friends who are Civ nuts.
    Last edited by Stormgard88; 2011-07-02 at 11:53 PM.

Medieval RTS game that isnt too graphically demanding? You could try stronghold I guess. Dont think they had much in the way of story and stuff though.

You could try heroes of might and magic stuff also, like HoMaM5, not quite RTS but has elements, more RPG though.

I dont think many RTS games really last that long story wise if theyre more than a little old.

Sig courtesy of Pjammiez, Thank You

If you like sim city games, you might enjoy Tropico 3. As for olderish RTS games, the Lord of the Rings RTS games were decently fun.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Starcraft and Starcraft 2

I'd say SC2, but if you really don't want futuristic or graphic heavy then Rise of Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet-Six View Post
    The best I ever played was Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings.
    I second this, and all of the age of empires were epic as well.
    "Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread upon my dreams." - W.B. Yeats

10+ Year Old Account
    -Impossible Creatures
    -Z
    -Jurassic Park Chaos Island (yes a JP based RTS)
    -Myth series

Deleted
    Impossible Creatures
    Starcraft 1/2
    Warcraft III + Expansion
    Age of Mythology
    Age of Empires II: Age of Kings

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    SC2 on low graphics fits your request.

Deleted
    Red Alert 2

If you want the feeling of "where'd those 7 hours just go?" then get Civ 5. I played it a lot when I first got it and now I go back to it whenever I want a 2-5 hour fun game. I've never played a Civilization before Civ 5 so this was new turf for me too. Steam will probably have it on sale sometime during the summer so keep an eye out for it if you're thinking about it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 02:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punky View Post
    Red Alert 2
    ^^and that :3
    Oswald was over hit cap.

These are all great suggestions (except for the guy who mentioned Total Annihilation), I'll go ahead and look into them. By the way, it's not that I don't want to play modern/futuristic RTS games, it's just that I prefer ones with a medieval setting akin to Warcraft.

I think only one person mentioned a game similar to Sim City. That's a shame, I was hoping for more.

Do you guys have any suggestions for games like Railroad Tycoon, RollerCoaster Tycoon, etc.? Those are some of my favorite PC games.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzington View Post
    These are all great suggestions (except for the guy who mentioned Total Annihilation), I'll go ahead and look into them. By the way, it's not that I don't want to play modern/futuristic RTS games, it's just that I prefer ones with a medieval setting akin to Warcraft.

I think only one person mentioned a game similar to Sim City. That's a shame, I was hoping for more.

Do you guys have any suggestions for games like Railroad Tycoon, RollerCoaster Tycoon, etc.? Those are some of my favorite PC games.
    Locomotion, its like Transport Tycoon, but you build like in RCT. You can also try Zoo Tycoon (doesnt matter which one, both are great).

Quote Originally Posted by cassiecrunch View Post
    Rise of Nations and its expansion.
    Seconding. I loved Rise of Nations. Coming from the stone age to launching nukes at people is just a blast.