10+ Year Old Account

Computer Not Picking Up 2nd Harddrive

Hey, I've recently built my own pc and everything is working really well apart from the 2nd harddrive I've got installed. Its all plugged in correctly (as far as I can see), and you can see it in the device manager and when setting up the sata ports in the bios. But in 'My Computer' its not appearing and in the startup priority in the BIOS its not there either so I can't use it, even though the computer recognises its there. Im running Windows 7 Proffesional 64bit if that makes a difference.
    Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open Administrative Tools from the Control Panel and go to Disk Management, You need to format your 2nd drive, it should appear under Disk Management as a RAW filesystem, you should most likely format it as NTFS.

Win 7? Start > right click computer > Manage > Disk Management > Create Partition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: It might also be Control Panel> Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

Likely the drive that needs formatting will be labeled here as Disk1 with your Primary OS boot drive labeled Disk0

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not actually coming up in disc management. Its deffinatly in device manager but not disc management.

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:46 PM ----------

ah nvm its in the bit below that says "unallocated". But I cant do anything with it :P

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:47 PM ----------

Nvm! I sorted it. Just had to assign it a new simple volume and it did the rest for me. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Nition View Post
    Its not actually coming up in disc management. Its deffinatly in device manager but not disc management.

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:46 PM ----------

ah nvm its in the bit below that says "unallocated". But I cant do anything with it :P

---------- Post added 2011-07-03 at 12:47 PM ----------

Nvm! I sorted it. Just had to assign it a new simple volume and it did the rest for me. Thanks for the help
    Yup thats exactly what I meant. I never said it starts off unallocated but I thought the microsoft support link tells you that. Its actually really easy and the exact same thing happened me in January when I got my computer. I felt embarrassed when the guy on the customer support line told me how to fix it! Atleast I'm not the only silliness to not know about it!

In the Disk Management window, complete one of the following procedures, and then continue to step 2:
    • To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
    • To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.
    !!