Samsung RF711-S02 Issue

Hi, I have posted on various other websites but I thought it couldn't hurt to get another set of opinions. I recently bought a laptop after doing a ton of research and not hearing any majorly bad things about it other than lowish hard drive speed (which was explainable and didn't really matter to me).

Here's the laptop in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834131117

Or on the Samsung website:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/l...NP-RF711-S02US

It looks great, right? All the parts suggest it should blow WoW away on Ultra settings. But when I got it it was fine at first, then would spiral down quickly after less than 30 seconds of being tabbed in to below 10 FPS - on the LOWEST settings possible. I tried pretty much everything, reinstalling WoW, deleting WTF, changing resolutions, downloaded all the correct drivers, etc. and it still persisted. Eventually after discussing it with a few guild members with more computer knowledge than myself I realized that it was getting EXTREMELY hot while tabbed in to WoW. It would shoot up to 100+ Celsius on the lowest settings just sitting outside Orgrimmar. Again after asking a few questions I thought that the fan was probably broken or just not even starting up. I couldn't feel any air coming out of the back and the laptop itself made almost no sound (the sound it did make was made by the other parts, I believe, not the fan). I repackaged it back up and mailed it back to Newegg for a replacement or repair, but I still just want to be sure.

So my question is was I right in that this was the problem - a malfunctioning fan? Or could it have just been a bad quality laptop and I was lied to? Or something else? And if I was right and get a working computer with a solid fan back, should it actually run WoW very well?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
    +

Last edited by Yibsu; 2011-07-07 at 08:08 PM.

bump. still need opinions.

FPS slowly crippling and that temp indeed suggest that the cooling wasn't working (properly) or was blocked.
    Have you tried any other game other than WoW before you sent it back?

No I did not. But I went through basically everything you could possibly imagine when it comes to WoW itself - I reinstalled, deleted every folder and repaired it, disabled all addons, even talked with a friend who works at Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tip 1: Don't play on the bed :P
    Tip 2: Don't play on your lap

When you get your replacement, check that the "fan" (if it has one) is working.

Also check that it doesn't have "power Save" mode enabled and that your CPU isn't down clocking to save power.

I was mostly playing on a table, with the vent in the back clear of any obstruction. And yes it was on High Performance Power mode because I was always going to have it plugged in while playing WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    you bought a samsung computer thats your problem there.

PS you cant bump a thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastit View Post
    you bought a samsung computer thats your problem there.

PS you cant bump a thread.
    Whats wrong with Samsung? (And actually :P yes you can :P just have to wait like 24hrs...)