Deleted

Haste caps. I keep finding different things, set me straight, please :P

As per title. I'm always confused about how much haste I should be getting. In numbers and in percents.

There are the thresholds, afaik, found different ones too. I'd be grateful if someone told me once and for all what should I be aiming for.

I play Destro (primary spec) and Demo (if AoE required).

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...89cho/advanced my armory.

I try to keep hit at 15% more or less. Don't have lot of misses with that so I reforge anything else to haste. How am I with the caps? 18,80% unbuffed. We got Moonkin in our raiding team for the haste buff. What else could I know? Should I reforge something more to haste or should I maybe reforge some haste to crit? I'm confused :P

Sorry for asking

theres a post a few pages behind this one by gherkin titled something along the lines of 4.2 to do list. thats got the information you are looking for. as destro you want to hit 20.2 so with di and 5 percent buff you hit the next immolate tick at 30.

I don't do warlock, so I won't speak to warlock breakpoints specifically.

However, in general haste breakpoints occur when you can get an extra tick out of a HoT/DoT, so that you get more damage per cast. This doesn't really apply to dots you refresh automatically (for example, hunters refresh serpent sting without re-casting it, so the breakpoints don't matter for serpent sting; that doesn't mean haste doesn't affect serpent sting, just that there are no real break points to worry about).

To find how much total haste you need to get an extra tick out of a hot or dot, there are a few different ways... but the easiest I've found is this:
    1) Do (1/x)*100, where x is the number of ticks the HoT/DoT has baseline. This tells you the gap between breakpoints where you'll get extra ticks, in haste %.
    Example: Immolate has 5 ticks baseline (at least according to wowhead, don't know if you have talents that change this). 1/5 = 0.2, 0.2*100 = 20. Therefore, the gap between successive breakpoints on Immolate is 20%.
    2) Because of the way the game rounds, you only need half as much haste to get to the first extra tick, so to find what haste % you need to get your first extra tick, take the number you calculated in step 1 and cut it in half. Each extra tick beyond the first requires an additional amount of haste equal to what you calculated in step 1.
    Example: We already know that the gap between extra ticks of Immolate is 20%. However, we only need half that to get the first extra tick, so at 10% haste you'll get 6 ticks from Immolate instead of 5. Each extra tick beyond that requires another 20% haste, so:
    10% haste = 6 ticks
    30% haste = 7 ticks
    50% haste = 8 ticks
    etc.

3) The haste percents we just calculated are your total haste, from all sources. Things like Dark Intent and the 5% raid aura count multiplicatively. To find out how much haste you need for a specific number of ticks, take your total casting speed as a decimal (for instance, 30% haste would become 1.30, 24% haste would become 1.24, etc), and divide it by 1.05 if you have the 5% haste aura, then divide by 1.01 if you're a goblin, then divide by 1.03 if you have 3% haste from DI.
    Example: Getting 2 extra ticks on immolate requires 30% haste total. If you have the 5% raid aura and nothing else, then you need (1.30 / 1.05 = 1.23810) about 23.81% haste from haste rating to get 2 extra ticks on immolate. If you were also a goblin, you'd need (1.30 / 1.05 = 1.23810, 1.23810 / 1.01 = 1.22584) about 22.58% haste from haste rating for those 2 extra ticks. (Note that I rounded the numbers while writing them, but not in the calculator; if you double check my numbers and find a slight discrepancy, that's probably why.)

-Immolate and Unstable Affliction both have 5 ticks baseline, so the gap between extra ticks is 20%, with the first extra tick coming at 10%.
    -Corruption has 6 ticks baseline, so the gap between extra ticks is (1/6) 16.6...%, with the first extra tick coming at 8.33....%
    -Bane of Agony has 8 ticks baseline, so the gap between extra ticks is (1/8) 12.5%, with the first extra tick coming at 6.25%

And of course, 128.05716 haste rating = 1% haste.

....Applying all that to your toon, you say you have 5% raid haste, you have 3% from Dark Intent, and you're not a goblin. You have 2408 haste rating which gives 18.80% haste (unrounded: 18.80410279284656945382827481103%). With your raid buffs, you have a total of ~28.49% haste.
    -Immolate: You should be getting 6 ticks (up from 5) from immolate right now. With 1.51% more haste (30% total), you could get 7 ticks; that would take 2588 haste rating, or 180 more.
    -Corruption:
    You should be getting 8 ticks (up from 6) from Corruption right now; to get another tick, you'd have to reach 41.66..% total haste, or 30.99% haste from haste rating. That would take 3969 haste rating total, and is probably not feasible.
    -Bane of Agony: You should be getting 10 ticks right now (up from 8). The next tick will occur at 31.25% total haste. That would require a total of 2736 haste rating, or 328 more haste rating than you currently have.

I have no idea how valuable haste is for you outside of breakpoints, nor do I know how powerful these breakpoints are for you, so I have no idea how valuable it would be to try and go for these. I leave that to more knowledgeable players than myself.

Spreadsheet with a bunch of target points already calculated (I haven't double checked it for accuracy): https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc...KPti9oE#gid=12
    Link for another explanation: http://cynwise.wordpress.com/2010/10...-in-cataclysm/

Edit: If anyone finds an error in anything I have written here, feel free to correct me with as much venom as you feel appropriate. In particular, I bow to Gherkin's mastery of this class; if he comes in here and says I'm wrong, listen to him. (Anyone who is strong in the ways of math and theorycrafting earns my respect :-P)
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2011-07-04 at 03:34 PM.

imo you shouldn't worry about haste right now because your hit is extremely low and you shud bring that up some more

Don't worry too much about haste thresholds as destro or demo. Also you might want to do some work on your enchants. Your boots, wrists, gloves, and chest can have better enchants.

Erm, that extra tick of immolate is pretty fucking big as destro

10+ Year Old Account
    As Demo it is a DPS increase to reforge down to 1993 Haste (non-Goblin) for the Corruption tick and then stack Mastery like a madman.

No idea about Destro.

Deleted
    Thank you for your replies Appreciate them! I know my enchants are cheap but I didn't feel like paying 5k gold for 50 mastery that's my least valued stat or whatever there was on the boot enchant :P

I guess I could check the prices again and stop being such a Scrooge.

Quote Originally Posted by gawdmode View Post
    imo you shouldn't worry about haste right now because your hit is extremely low and you shud bring that up some more
    Nay. I miss 1 thing per boss fight on average. I don't really see a problem there. 15% is good.

Deleted
    From the wowhead PvE guide:

The only spec that really needs to concern itself with specific Haste levels is Destruction because Conflagrate does more damage if you have enough Haste for your Immolate to gain extra ticks.

+Ticks % Rating Goblin
    1 9.9% 218 90
    2 30% 2589 2437
    3 49.9% 4951 4776
    4 70% 7326 7127

(this assumes fully raid buffed)

Other people in this thread have numbers but ill keep it short. As demo it's not 1993. The number for corruption is 1995. Yes I've tested each individual haste rating and 1993 and 1994 do not work.

As destro you want 30% buffed haste with DI and the 5% provided via shadow priest/moonkin/shaman.

That's about as simple as it gets.

im just trying to figure out why 20.2%? isn't DI and raid haste buff 8%? and you need 30%, and not 28.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrabyte View Post
    im just trying to figure out why 20.2%? isn't DI and raid haste buff 8%? and you need 30%, and not 28.2%
    For DI and the 5% it isn't a straight up 8% it's actually more. Go apply DI to and gain the buff and watch. You won't get an even 3% haste you'll get slightly more. The 3% and 5% multiply from what you had so it nets to be more in the end. Just look and see what your actual % is on your tool tip when you have both buffs and that's all you really need.

Example: Unbuffed my haste % is 15.81%. I applied DI and my haste went up to 19.29%. That' a gain of 3.48% haste instead of just 3%.

1.1581 x 1.03 = 1.192843
    Last edited by Sanoku; 2011-07-06 at 12:32 AM.