Deleted

Replacing a Desktop with a Laptop - what do I need?

My current Core 2 Duo PC will need replacing soon, as will my Laptop.

So I was wondering, instead of getting two separate systems again, why not get one for both? The Deskop I used mostly for gaming and web-surfing while the Laptop was used for working and traveling as well as watching movies. Now I don't see myself traveling quite as much as I used to in the future so I wouldn't mind a slightly heavier laptop suitable for gaming.

I already have a dedicated 24" 1080p monitor that I would like to use on my desktop as well as a "proper" keyboard and mouse for gaming purposes.

Now I was wondering, aside from the actual Laptop, what other components to I need in order to replace a Desktop PC with a Laptop. Obviously the Lappy needs decent hardware and power to manage 1080p at a decent FPS, but other than that, what should I look for?

Do I need adapters to add more USB connections? Do I need an HDMI output or will a DVI-D suffice? Anything else I should look out for?

10+ Year Old Account
    HDMI and DVI are the same aside from the fact HDMI can provide audio passthrough. You'll definitely want a SANDYBRIDGE based Processor for your laptop since those perform quite well and even compete with many current desktop processors. Other than that I'd recommend getting a fair bit of RAM and a decent Graphics Processor(Not Intel HD).
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDMI on laptops of any kind of value are more common than not. DVI are usually infrequent on laptops in favour of VGA (because most projectors are VGA, and having a laptop for projectors is very important business/schoolwise).

A G74SX should be roughly what you need, or, if you want to have more control of what you build (recommended) http://www.deviltech.de is a great site. If they don't offer Win7 in your language, buy it seperate (usually cheaper anyway).

I have a laptop purely for surfing/chatting/movies. Everything else (ie, hardly anything) I have the desktop for.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 01:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    HDMI and DVI are the same aside from the fact HDMI can provide audio passthrough. You'll definitely want a SANDYBRIDGE based Processor for your laptop since those perform quite well and even compete with many current desktop processors. Other than that I'd recommend getting a fair bit of RAM and a decent Graphics Processor(Not Intel HD).
    *grumble* I love my Intel HD-graphics. It together with nVIDIA Optimus makes me save so much batterytime. (my discrete card is a GT550M)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

*grumble* I love my Intel HD-graphics. It together with nVIDIA Optimus makes me save so much batterytime. (my discrete card is a GT550M)
    lol Was more saying don't get an Intel HD discretely :P
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    What about doking stations? I guess I'll need one of those too. Are they "1 size fits all" or are they manufacturer/laptop specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    What about doking stations? I guess I'll need one of those too. Are they "1 size fits all" or are they manufacturer/laptop specific?
    I've only seen docking-stations in relation to some HP-machines. I wouldn't count on any regular laptop actually having one. (unless there are other kinds).
    It makes things easier if you move them only between a set few places, but I'd rather just move the peripherals with me. Not that I use much peripherals with my current laptop. Even its inbuilt touchpad is better than the only spare I have (Nagaew)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I've only seen docking-stations in relation to some HP-machines. I wouldn't count on any regular laptop actually having one. (unless there are other kinds).
    It makes things easier if you move them only between a set few places, but I'd rather just move the peripherals with me. Not that I use much peripherals with my current laptop. Even its inbuilt touchpad is better than the only spare I have (Nagaew)
    I've seen lots of docking stations.... but only in corporate environments. Lots of Dell and IBM docks for easy in and out for office workers. I don't think they even make docking stations for consumer laptops anymore.