Razer Naga Modifier Issue

I've poked around a bit trying to find answers on this, but I haven't noticed anybody else with my particular issue. I'm guessing it's working as intended, but I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas for a fix.

I've got a series of #showtooltip, /cast [mod] macros set up on my Naga's thumb pad. When I hold down shift and press a button, it will cast the spell, but if I keep shift down and release the button on my mouse, it reverts to non-mod tooltips.

It still casts as though my mod key is depressed, but the tooltips don't reflect the mod until I press the mouse button a second time while still holding shift. What winds up happening is that my bars flash between mod and nomod tooltips while I'm spamming my Rend key and waiting for the GCD to end, and it's about to give me a seizure.

The expected behavior, of course, is that mod tooltips should be shown as long as I keep a mod key depressed. When I'm just using my keyboard, I can hold shift and have all of my macros show tooltips that reflect the mod key, whether or not I press any other buttons.

Note also that I'm using a Mac, but I doubt that's relevant. Please let me know if you have any insights into how I could correct this! Thanks for your help!

you use bartender?

If you got buttons to spare, set up an identical, transparent bar above your razer's bar. have this bar set to show when [mod] is pressed, and remain hidden otherwise.
    then, go to the original bar, have it show at all times, then hide while [mod] is pressed. the actual "custom" macro should look a bit like

[mod:shift]hide;show (first bar)
    [mod:shift]show;hide (second bar)

this way you can bypass the need to macro everything. the alternative, is to have that bar switch to another page while shift is held (then buttons don't need to be re-bound) but be aware, that shift + numpad numbers (at least on windows) will not work like this. (because, for example, shift+numpad 7 = home)

which might be part of the problem. though, i'm not sure if Mac has the same bindings, i know they tend to do things a tad differently when it comes to mod keys.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    you use bartender?
    I use Dominos, but I can see how I could do what you're talking about anyway. Just have to set up two different bars with most of the spells exactly the same, but some of them swapped on modifier. That's an alternative that should work if I can't figure out a way around the issues I'm having with the mouse. Thanks for the suggestion!

the alternative, is to have that bar switch to another page while shift is held (then buttons don't need to be re-bound) but be aware, that shift + numpad numbers (at least on windows) will not work like this. (because, for example, shift+numpad 7 = home)
    This is what I use with my naga on windows and it works great as long as the switch under the mouse is set to "123" and not "Num", for the reason quoted above.

I set up Bar 4 in Dominos to display Bar 6 when shift is held, and that part works fine. The problem with the mouse still occurs, however, and it switches back to the nomod page when I release the mouse button.

Note also that the shift spell will still cast normally. The tooltips just change when I release the mouse buttons. It's obviously not a problem with my mouse sending home instead of shift+numpad 7, because then it wouldn't cast a spell at all.

The problem is just that when I release the mouse button and continue to hold down shift, tooltips display as though I wasn't holding down shift (until I hit the mouse button again). Any ideas for troubleshooting the mouse itself? It seems as though there's some issue with the data it's transmitting, even if it's sending shift+numpad 1 like it's supposed to.

you use bartender?

If you got buttons to spare, set up an identical, transparent bar above your razer's bar. have this bar set to show when [mod] is pressed, and remain hidden otherwise.
    then, go to the original bar, have it show at all times, then hide while [mod] is pressed. the actual "custom" macro should look a bit like

[mod:shift]hide;show (first bar)
    [mod:shift]show;hide (second bar)

this way you can bypass the need to macro everything. the alternative, is to have that bar switch to another page while shift is held (then buttons don't need to be re-bound) but be aware, that shift + numpad numbers (at least on windows) will not work like this. (because, for example, shift+numpad 7 = home)

which might be part of the problem. though, i'm not sure if Mac has the same bindings, i know they tend to do things a tad differently when it comes to mod keys.
    Odd because I have shift + num pad 5 bound and it works fine. Is it only certain numbers or maybe I disabled them some how and didn't know.

I was having the same problem and already tried everything mentioned above. After some more digging I found that as of patch 4.1 Blizzard tried to "fix" some hot-key issues coming from Expose/Spaces. However, OS X recognizes the Razer Naga as an additional keyboard. So when you press any of the side keys on the mouse it would stop polling your actual keyboard and accept only the key from your mouse, thus making them mutually exclusive to the OS. At least this is how it played out on my system under multiple tests.

Ex: bartender bar4 set to page bar5 by [mod:shift]5;0
    bar4 buttons set to num(1-9)
    bar5 buttons set to Shift+num(1-9)
    on shift the UI would change appropriately, but the nagakeys would activate bar4 abilities, not bar5

Driver Version 2.01 for the Naga fixed this problem for me. [mod] + Naga1 would be accepted as Shift + 1, Shift + num1, depending on the toggle switch etc. What this does NOT fix are modifiers used in macros. The actionbar paging set up above now works fine.

What this does NOT fix are macros that use modifiers as conditionals. Blizz Mac Forums pointed me to install KeyRemap4Macbook (can't post a link, just google it), and this fixed the macro problem without any configuration. Just installed, rebooted, and fixed. Don't know why, might try to figure that out later.

(AT)Atarri (since I'm forbidden from using the at symbol. That would be EVIL): That's not quite the problem that I'm having. All of my spells cast correctly, but the tooltips are incorrect when I release my mouse button while continuing to hold shift. Is that something that happens to you as well?

Regardless, I'm running 2.01 drivers and I installed KeyRemap4Macbook, but I'm still having the problem.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 08:21 PM ----------

The issue is reproduceable with Bartender and the default UI as well as Dominos.

TonyM responded on the official forums, though he wasn't able to help except to clarify the issue somewhat.

K a bit more on this. I pinged some higher ups about this.

This issue is caused by the limitation of the naga software and the Mac OS.

The way the Mac OS works with the naga is that it sees the 12 buttons on it like a separate USB keypad and it swaps primary focus back and forth from it.

Besides using it to show your timer and GCD, is that all you use it for? You might want to consider an additional add-on that can track it, such as gnosis, fortexorcist, needtoknow, etc. There's a lot out there that can help.
    Doesn't solve my problem, but it appears as though nothing will. Back to the old UI drawing board for now, I suppose.

For some reason with the naga and bartender you can not keybind shift mb5

(Bossy) I couldn't recreate your problem, using the following macro as a test:

#showtooltip [mod:shift] Rend; Mortal Strike
    /cast [mod:shift] Rend
    /cast Mortal Strike

What code are you using?