(BIO) Arcturis Blackthorne

Name: Arcturis Blackthorne
    Race: Formerly gilnean human, infected with the worgen curse after the Shattering.
    Class: Assassin

Languages: Common,basic Darnassian

Faction: Gilneas Liberation Front(former member) ; Mercenary;

Story: Arcturis is the son of the noble Geralt Blackthorne and Amanda Aradell and was the older brother of Elizabeth Blackthorne. As a child, he was a prodigy: he could blend into the shadows and could shoot a longbow by the time he was 10. When he was 16, he joined his father for a hunting trip, during which Geralt was fataly wounded by a boar, dieing in the hands of the young lad. When the boar struck down his father, he felt a rage so intense , he killed the boar with a single slash. Arcturis greatly mourned the death of his father, who taught him how to follow tracks, hold a sword and shoot a bow. In homage to his father, he brought the boar's corpse home, from who's tusks he built a pair daggers of great sentimental value to him. As a coupe de graçe from destiny, during the Worgen curse outbreak his mother died at the hands of the vicious beasts while Arcturis was locked in combat a few yards from her. His beloved little sister was killed by the devastating plague unleashed by the forsaken during the bombardment of Gilneas City. Because he was helping other fellow gilneans, Arcturis didn't notice when Elizabeth inhaled the toxic gas that put an end to her life. Horribly scared by the deaths of his only relatives, and blaming himself and his inability for their deaths, Arcturis found solace in the call of the wilds, embracing the power of the worgen curse, further enhancing his speed and reflexes and joined the Gileas Liberation Front, claiming revenge against the Forsaken. But this was short lived, as Crowley retreated his troops from Silverpine under threats from Sylvanas. Feeling betrayed by Crowley, who put his daughter before the battle against the Forsaken, Arcturis was left as a hollow carcass, devoid of emotion and with no hopes, but only one goal:to exact revenge from the Forsaken at any cost.

Personality: For a young man, Arcturis has gone through many tragedies. After the events of the Shattering and the departure from Gilneas, Arcturis became a hired blade:he would fight, scout, steal and kill for the highest bidder. He feels no remorse, no love and has no hopes for a better future. His only condition is that the targets of his kill contracts are not Forsaken. A swift return to their graves would be a merciful death for the killers of his beloved sister.

Although usualy calm, it took Arcturis months to be able to control his worgen form:when he was discovered during an infiltration in Ashenvale, he panicked, triggering the worgen form and slaughtering the inhabitants of the outpost he was supposed to gatter information about. He roamed the woods for weeks trying to calm down until he was helped by the night elves, who would teach him how to control his inner beast , and use the nature into his advantage, teaching him how to walk through forests without a sound and how to shoot a bow from the cover of leaves.

Under service of the night elves, Arcturis gathered informations about the Horde's plans for ashenvale and helped defend Astranaar on numerous occasions.

Then, he made his way to Stranglethorn, where he gathered numerous mystic tablets from the local tribes , while also fulfilling contracts from the Booty Bay inhabitants.

Appearance: After contacting the curse, Arcturis has become taller and more muscular. He has pitch black long hair, and usualy wears a long coat with a hood shadowing his merciless hazel eyes. For someone who went through numerous battles and who works as a hired sword, it is curious that Arcturis wears no battle scars: he is said to have never been SEEN by his targets, let alone hit by them.

While in worgen form, which he rarely uses, he has dark fur , a long mane , and cruel, silver eyes.

Weapons: An elven longbow; two claw-like fist weapons; A curved sword, lots of throwing daggers ; Smoke bombs.

1.The Assassination of Gul'thok.

It was a cold, yet not uncommon night in Duskwood:the now cursed forest would scare most adventurers and make them seek refuge from the night, or search for a caravan, for not many beings would dare enter the Tranquil Gardens Cemetery at midnight. A tall hooded figure wearing a long leather coat approached the cemetery, not using the path leading to the main road, but rather by sneaking by the north path.

Arcturis could feel the evil of this place, but even though he had no powers over the holy light, he didn't fear the supernatural forces that inhabited this area.

He could see his target:Gul'Thok, an orc necromancer whom he was tasked to murder, take any documents he had and investigate them. His footsteps were as soft as a cougar's and he quickly snuck behind the undead servants of the necromancer, who weren't aware of his pressence. The necromancer looked at the black sky as if waiting...

"A few more steps...and I'll be out of this cursed place" thought Arcturis..but right as he aimed for Gul'Thok's backed neck, there was a huge explosion and a ring of smoke surrounded the human.

"What the he-"

"You've a long way ahead of you if you want to be a true darkness dweller"

"You've been betrayed. Your employer actualy wanted you out of the game. He told me you'll come. And I was prepared. "

"Well, your disappearence was impressing, and you are the first kill target to ever escape my blade but not for long"

With a roar, Arcturis lept forward, aiming to slash Gul'Thok with his fistblades. Yet in an instant, Gul'Thok conjured a bone shield that broke the assassin's blade.

"Hmph. Not bad. But I have a few tricks of my own." Arcturis reached with his other fist blade just to stop as Gul'thok was raising the shield, using it as a spring, and landing behind Gul'thok, slashing him across his back.

"ARGH!ENOUGH OF THIS" yelled the necromancer, and through the powerful magic of the orc, Arcturis saw the deaths of his beloved ones...he fell down and caught his legs in a fetus position, shaking violently .

"Tremble, mortal as I devour your soul whole in the name of Sylvanas!" said the necromancer, as the image of his dead little sister was forced into Arcturis' mind.

"You have to be strong. One day, you'll want to avenge her. You have to live!" a tiny voice inside Arcturis' head said .

"This is for you Liz!" shouted the human as feral instict took over. In an instant, the necromancer's spell was broken and before him stood a giant wolf-like bypedic being with silver eyes and claws the lenght of a sword.

"What in the world..Help me my minions!" cried the necromancer, as skeletons, ghouls and what-not attacked the worgen. But they were no match for the fury of the beast who tore through them as a knife cuts through stormwind brie. In the end, the necromancer fell victim to the weapon he cherished most:terror. His spells could no longer hit their target and he fell under the claws of the worgen.

After a brief moment, Arcturis, reverting to normal form, searched through the orc's letters only to find a sealed envelope bearing the mark of the apothecarium. His heart was engaged in a race against time itself as he read the letter:

"After you're done with him, bring his body at Beggar's Haunt. Avoid Darkshire and cross through Brightwood Grove and Manor Mistmantle You should be able to subdue the worgen there. Be fast. We leave at noon(No one patrols these woods during the day) with a caravan of mixtures and alchemical ingredients for a new acid that can melt steel in a second,

Apothecary Faustin"

As Arcturis transformed voluntarily into a worgen for the first time, disappearing into the cold night, the mangled corpse of Gul'thok remained behind, to be taken back into the earth, as a testament to never temper with a worgen's emotions.

2.Beggar's Haunt(for the purpose of the story we will suppose The Hermit didn't move here yet)

As dawn lit the crown of the trees, Arcturis raced against time , and in a few hours he reached the little road leading to the tower. As he slipped into the shadows using his more agile worgen form, Arcturis noticed that there was no move on the ground level.
    "They must've packed already. They're waiting for the orc." As he studied the tower he heard steps down the stairs. He waited for the perfect moment, ready to plunge his claws into the chest of the forsaken.

"3..2..what the-" There was a human. His employer -who sent him to his death. Without taking any chances , the worgen surprised the human , lifting him up and strangling him with his bare hands.

"What's going down there?"

"Do as I say. Tell him you tripped." "Everything's alright, I just fell. We're good to go"

"Good boy. " and he knocked him unconcious. "Now to finish the job"

Silently ascending the stone, spiral stairs , Arcturis saw the apothecary mixing substances at his desk. One problem though: an old steel barred door blocked the way. "There's no time for this" Arcturis whispered to himself. He pounced into the tiny door knocking it down.

"What in the world are you do-ARGHHH" was all the apothecary could say, for the worgen caught him already.

"You're mine forsaken...why did you try to kill me?"

"we have watched your progress. We forsaken, have eyes everywhere. We will find you. Capture you and kill you with our plague as we did to your sister. You may kill me now , but you'll learn nothing from me. I feel no pain."

"I won't kill you.Death is a merciful end for a forsaken.I cannot torture you as I have no powers upon the light. Luckily, there's a group of draenei missionaries in the city, who will be more than happy to "infuse" you with the holy light".

"YOU wouldn't dare! My brothers will torture you!

"They won't...I'll stage my own death...the orc is dead...after I'm done with you and this pathethic worm who sent me to my death I'll place a disfigured corpse at the cemetery...On your pathway to Stranglethorn I'll leave the Orc's and the human's body and a few beasts of the wood...it shouldn't take too long. Now that I can change my shape at will, it shouldn't be hard to hide from your shadowstalkers."

"You'll die horribly, worgen, HEAR ME!"

"Oh but I will hear you, when the draenei are done with you, all of Duskwood will have heard you".

If anything , Arcturis learned to always trust his instincts. Information may be innacurate and traitorous, eyes may deceive and ears may become deaf, but the heart never lies.

He also learned that he should never, at any costs, reveal his location while fulfilling a kill contranct, as being revealed only complicates things.

After staging the death of the forsaken supply transport, Arcturis vanished into Stranglethorn, in search of more challenges to hone his skills, wealth for buying various equipment and gain influence, and anger to store for his single desire:revenge.

Strengths/Weaknesses: As someone who has lost everything, Arcturis cares not for love and simpathy. He is a cold-blood murdered who uses the dark to his advantage and who has complete control upon his worgen curse: he can shift into a beast at will.

Perphaps his greatest weakness is his greatest strenght, and vice-versa: having no emotions, Arcturis has no friends. He is alone in a war-torn world . He also tries to extract information from various targets, potentialy compromising his task. As skilled as he is with small blades, he cannot effectively use two handed weapons and maces. He would rather solve tasks the easy way, not caring for the dangers he exposes himself to and often being forced to flee.
    Last edited by pateuvasiliu; 2011-11-16 at 10:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, the Faction part of Bios refers to the user made Factions found here. During your background story you should make your affiliations with the Horde or Alliance or other factions, such as the Cenarion Circle or Argent Dawn, which you have done with your hatred of Sylvanas. But since he joined the Gilneans you might want to add on how he left them to pursue killing Sylvanas, to keep inline with his somewhat neutrality, in his background story that is.

Also the Cataclysm you are referring to is actually called the Shattering. Cataclysm is just the name of the expansion not the actual event.

Generally having a longer background is better. Going in depth into things like telling the story of his father's death in their hunting trip in more detail, Describing how he dealt with accepting the curse that took the life of his mother, and the fight that lead to his sister's death. Also his upbringing as you describe it now, doesn't explain this "For someone who went through numerous battles and who works as a hired sword, it is curious that Arcturis wears no battle scars: he is said to have never been SEEN by his targets, let alone hit by them", at least in my opinion. Maybe go more in depth to his training and who trained him after his father died. You also have it down that he knows Thalassian, which is fine, but you need to explain how he came to learn it.

As for his appearance you might want to describe his worgen form too. Maybe the blades he carries too.

Generally I believe that the worgen curse feeds on emotions and having embraced the form it would be more likely that he would embrace his rage at the Forsaken that killed his sister.

Basically, Nonfictionless has said everything, I just wanted to elaborate on the training and skills too. Basically, he had training as a hunter, which explains a certain proficiency with ranged weapons, but not really in close quarter combat, since you fight animals differently than human enemies. Also the conficts he fought in are open wars more or less, not really giving room for stealth. So as Nonfic said, you should elaborate on the training that gave him the stealthy skills. Of course he may be a natural, but for the skill he displays, he needs training.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorianas View Post
    Basically, Nonfictionless has said everything, I just wanted to elaborate on the training and skills too. Basically, he had training as a hunter, which explains a certain proficiency with ranged weapons, but not really in close quarter combat, since you fight animals differently than human enemies. Also the conficts he fought in are open wars more or less, not really giving room for stealth. So as Nonfic said, you should elaborate on the training that gave him the stealthy skills. Of course he may be a natural, but for the skill he displays, he needs training.
    hmph. I thought that being a worgen was self suficient. Remember how we used to search for dem basterds in Duskwood?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    hmph. I thought that being a worgen was self suficient. Remember how we used to search for dem basterds in Duskwood?
    First of all I don't have alliance characters, so I think I won't remember anything from Duskwood to be honest. So if there something important happened, it should be in your story shouldn't it? Elaborating on that things was more or less the point. If he learned the art of stealth to a degree of never been wounded at all in Duskwood, write it in your story.

In RPing, if you assume things, you're probably going to be wrong and/or cause confusion. For example, Nonfic assumed that in my Riva Ju Nehjo thread, we were on shore already, before anyone even got onto the boats, thinking it was a transition scene, but it wasn't... kinda sorta. If I wanted people to be on the beach already, I would have posted such, and when it was time for them to be on the beach... I posted that :P

Hence why it's best to elaborate on anything you might assume of your character, so others, who will no doubt see things in a different way than you, will see him in the same way you do.

EDIT: to actually critique your work..

His only condition is that the targets of his kill contracts are not Forsaken. A swift return to their graves would be a merciful death for the killers of his beloved sister.
    I understand the reasoning behind this, but it doesn't really make sense to me. In my opinion, it would make more sense if he never took contracts from Forsaken, instead of never taking contracts out against Forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    In RPing, if you assume things, you're probably going to be wrong and/or cause confusion. For example, Nonfic assumed that in my Riva Ju Nehjo thread, we were on shore already, before anyone even got onto the boats, thinking it was a transition scene, but it wasn't... kinda sorta. If I wanted people to be on the beach already, I would have posted such, and when it was time for them to be on the beach... I posted that :P

Hence why it's best to elaborate on anything you might assume of your character, so others, who will no doubt see things in a different way than you, will see him in the same way you do.

EDIT: to actually critique your work..

I understand the reasoning behind this, but it doesn't really make sense to me. In my opinion, it would make more sense if he never took contracts from Forsaken, instead of never taking contracts out against Forsaken.
    The main idea is that he is never tasked to torture someone; He is asked to offer them a swift death, silent preferably. Since he hates forsaken to no end, he never wants to give one a swift death as he sees it as an eliberation for their soul, and would rather see them suffer before they depart from this world. He sees them all as evil since they have free will and still follow Sylvanas, who is really crazy.

The fact that he doesn't accept contracts from Forsaken is a given considering his hate of them

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he'd like Noxvari. At all.

That's really all I've got to say, everything else has been said.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    I don't think he'd like Noxvari. At all.

That's really all I've got to say, everything else has been said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxvari BIO
    Presently, she is as you would expect her to be.. Cold. She has the bearing of a person who has experienced everything there is to experience in life, and she comes off bitter about it. Nox is not nice or sweet or loving. She is generally pretty solitary and quiet save when such a time arises that she should need to speak; she has no interest in the affairs of the living, like love, family, or the festive joys of life - food, drink, a comfortable bed, perhaps with someone to share it with.. Such things do not interest her.
    Hmm, why not? They look like soul mates to me.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    She will, however, defend certain things with her very existence, the most obvious of which is the Dark Lady and the Forsaken.
    Yeahhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    Yeahhhh...
    Eh, it's not like Arcturis is anywhere close to Sylvanas...

For now.*muhahahaha*

The main idea is that he is never tasked to torture someone; He is asked to offer them a swift death, silent preferably. Since he hates forsaken to no end, he never wants to give one a swift death as he sees it as an eliberation for their soul, and would rather see them suffer before they depart from this world. He sees them all as evil since they have free will and still follow Sylvanas, who is really crazy.

The fact that he doesn't accept contracts from Forsaken is a given considering his hate of them
    Well obviously since I brought it up, it isn't a given. And it still seems weird to me. I understand where you're coming from, but one would think that even IF you hated a group of people to the point where a swift death wouldn't be right, it'd still be making it so that there's one less of them in the world.

Well obviously since I brought it up, it isn't a given. And it still seems weird to me. I understand where you're coming from, but one would think that even IF you hated a group of people to the point where a swift death wouldn't be right, it'd still be making it so that there's one less of them in the world.
    X says kill Y.

Y is forsaken.

I refuse the contract but still go after Y. = I kill Y for pleasure instead of money.

Because I'm a psycho.

That makes more sense, then.
    It was meant to be that way from the beginning, I understand it might've been confusing.