Smile Shadow priest help, reforging

hey guys,

just wondering is it more important to reforge to spirit then hit?
    i no that spirit is hit, so it must be better then just hit.

im having abit of trouble of trouble figuring out my most important stats and least important stats for reforging.. could you look at my armory and tell me what im doing wrong or correct please.

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dathremar/Deadlights/advanced

thank you.

Spirit = hit. There's no difference for a Spriest, no additional bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    Spirit = hit. There's no difference for a Spriest, no additional bonuses.
    oh okay, thanks mate

Deleted
    Also you shouldnt be reforging out of crit.

Rule is
    forge to haste
    if item has haste forge to crit.
    never forge into spirit or hit.

Reforge to haste first, then spirit. The spirit is useful for gen between pulls in dungeons, which I'd guess you're still working on with that many blues. You're also human, so you get 3% bonus spirit from a racial, so it's a slight hit benefit.

Stat priorities until you're getting to raiding gear level: Int > Haste > Spirit/Hit > Crit > Mastery
    Mastery will gradually become a better stat than Crit as you get more haste. All it will change is what you reforge out of.

With that in mind:
    Reforge Soul Casket to haste.
    Reforge Veneficial Band from mastery to haste.
    Switch the leg reforging to haste. Also, get the Powerful Ghostly Spellthread for it.
    Bracers: Reforge out of the mastery to haste, not out of the spirit.
    Neck: Reforge out of mastery to haste.
    Staff: Reforge mastery to spirit.

Gems:
    Get a Burning Shadowspirit Diamond once you replace the helm.
    Glove, belt, and shoulder socket bonuses aren't worth it; swap them for +40 intellect gems.
    Won't comment on the helm because it shouldn't be too difficult to get a new one.

Level your JC; the Int trinket you get is actually pretty good for an 85 at your gear level. Get a non PVP helm when you can.

If you want more info on how to optimize your gear, read through http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ide-(by-Kilee) . He's very responsive to questions on the guide if anything confuses you.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 01:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ajtbagger View Post
    Also you shouldnt be reforging out of crit.

Rule is
    forge to haste
    if item has haste forge to crit.
    never forge into spirit or hit.
    Uh, no. Crit is not a good stat for shadow. Haste is our best secondary stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuziza View Post
    Uh, no. Crit is not a good stat for shadow. Haste is our best secondary stat.
    thats what i said haste then crit

Then if an item already has haste, he should be reforging to spirit if he wants to raid. Crit would only better if he's already at the 17% hitcap or if he doesn't intend to raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.

If you are a human, it makes sense to reforge Hit into Spirit because you have a racial Spirit modifier so you get *very slightly* more benefit from Spirit. But only if you're Human.

And if you have the choice between reforging hit to spirit or reforging another secondary stat to Haste you really ought to reforge to Haste. It's not that hard to reach the Hit cap as a Shadow Priest (although that may change with the lack of Spirit gear in Firelands).

Getting hit capped is not the necessity it was in past xpacs - in fact, at around 14% hit, haste begins to creep above hit/spirit as far as pure dps increase is concerned - this is because the vast majority of our spells can be recast if missed (excluding MB, SWeath) - i.e. as long as your responsive and attentive, reaching the 17% hit cap is not as valuable as it was during wrath. With that being said, I still capped out at 17% because I don't like missing and I'm not as attentive as I should be. However - it appears you're only running dungeons - if that's the case, you are way over the hit cap as you only need 6% to never miss on dungeon bosses (lvl 87).

Here's my advice:
    - on your cuffs, don't reforge spirit to haste, reforge your mastery to haste.
    - on your staff, reforge mastery to spirit (if you want more hit)
    - your gems look fine except your meta, instead of the +int/+mana gem, look for the Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (+int/+crit)

And... I know you didn't ask about talents and glyphs (your talents look fine - although Psychic Horror may provide more utility than 1/3 Inner Sanctum), but since you appear to be running heroics, I figured I would opine:
    - Since we can no longer Dispel Magic on friendlies (we use mass dispel instead), I'd drop the Glyph of Dispel Magic. I'd also drop the Glyph of Inner Fire, as its purely a survivability glyph and a better survivability glyph is probably Glyph of Fade, which lowers the CD of Fade by 9 seconds (allowing you to completely drop threat for a moment). Especially for dungeons, the Glyph of Psychic Scream gives us a decent 8-second AoE CC, and you'll be surprised how often this is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    (although that may change with the lack of Spirit gear in Firelands).
    There is only a lack of spirit gear from bosses, there is more spirit on each piece of gear then there was in the previous tier, and we can still use hit as well as spirit. So no, for anyone who wants to be hit capped it should not be an issue.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    In before controversy.

Being hit-capped isn't nearly as core as it was in the previous expansion, you can quite easily pull the same and more DPS sitting on a lot less hit rating than what most guides suggest, if you're able to react to misses. 4.1 stat priority was, give or take, Int > SP > Haste > Crit > Mastery, follow that rule for reforging.

Higher iLvl gear normally wins out, there are a few exceptions however. A few S9 PvP pieces trumped 346 gear, the wand and off-hand being good examples, but 371 gear can now be obtained with Honour, so you should be farming the few pieces you're missing in epics. At the same time, there are a two trinkets that are vastly superior than anything of their iLvl, the Witching Hourglass from BRC and the Jeweled Serpent from JC.

If you can't manage to pick up a DMC:Volcano as of now, try to gun for both. Then use sites that simplify which items are BiS using typical stat weights of the current patch and your iLvl to judge which pieces you should be going for ASAP, and which you should go for in the near future. Mastery has become a better stat as of 4.2, and stat weights change as your gear changes, so calculating your own stat-weights is always a major plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Duke
    Hail to the King, Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Heart GS View Post
    I remember a guy like you who used to go around forcing his beliefs on others. He started up a few camps in Germany back in the 40s and it didn't turn out well for him in the end.

Let this be a warning to you.

Quote Originally Posted by G_A View Post
    Mastery has become a better stat as of 4.2, and stat weights change as your gear changes, so calculating your own stat-weights is always a major plus.
    More correctly, mastery has become a better stat at certain gear levels than it was before, and this improvement to mastery is only in effect when you have ES up. So it's better than it was, but not "ahmg masteries iz sexy" yet. Also please refrain from suggesting a person should or shouldn't get hit capped. The begining and end of the "controversy" as you call it is that no person can legitimately tell another person that they should or shouldn't be hit capped. People need to understand the factors involved and make the choice for themselves. Stating that "being hit capped isn't as important as it used to be" is misleading. It may not be important for you, but there certainly are plenty of people who consider it very important... and there isn't anything wrong with that.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I quote "if you're able to react to misses".

Don't give me shit about misleading, advising one or the other, when both nearly every single guide out there suggests you become hit-capped to save complication, and that it was advice given on a basis. If you can't react to misses and amend the situation, then quite obviously you should without a doubt be hit-capped. Otherwise, at the time of 4.1, it was a DPS bonus to remain under the hit-cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Duke
    Hail to the King, Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Heart GS View Post
    I remember a guy like you who used to go around forcing his beliefs on others. He started up a few camps in Germany back in the 40s and it didn't turn out well for him in the end.

Let this be a warning to you.

No offense but there is a lot more that goes into if being hit capped or not is a good personal choice than if you can react to misses or not. The issue is far more complicated than that.