Poll: What time of day to you run?

Running (Time of day)

Morning all,

Just wondering what time of day you lot go running and why, I was told that its more beneficial to your body to run in the morning is this true?

I run 5 miles 3 times a week in the evening after work between 6pm – 7pm currently doing it in 43 minutes (Plenty of steep hills in my area), my goal is not to burn fat but to get faster narrowing the time down to 30 minutes. I would welcome any running tips.

(Edit: Sorry about the crappy poll, missed off the bloody Y in day
    Last edited by Toccs; 2011-07-05 at 09:09 AM.

I stopped running when I started swimming, but running in the morning is most beneficial because the air is fresher - less people/cars going around, less dust goes in the air, etc. The perfect morning run would be after a rain, its great.

I usually will run twice a week around lunch time. I find my body feels more "awake" and my mind is more focused. Definitely makes a difference to my performance level. If you run in in the morning, at least have something light before you go - I personally think running (or performing any cardio for that matter) on an empty stomach isn't good for the body. Sumo wrestlers actually skip breakfast to help put on extra weight! Although exercise does increase metabolism, exercising without anything in your stomach will actually lower your metabolic rate in the long term.
    Last edited by backseattaxi; 2011-07-05 at 03:08 PM.
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

Deleted
    I personally prefer to run in the afternoon.

After lunch has had a few hours to digest is when I set out.
    Also if it's a nice day then it's not when the sun is at it's hottest (mid-day) but not too late either.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by backseattaxi View Post
    I personally think running (or performing any cardio for that matter) on an empty stomach isn't good for the body.
    It's perfectly fine, it all comes down to preference. It won't be detrimental if you do cardio fasted. I do 5x a week in the AM, just feel better exercising on an empty stomach.

exercising without anything in your stomach will actually lower your metabolic rate in the long term
    No it doesn't

I guess it’s all preference then? so many conflicting articles on the internet its really irritating.

I think I’ll stick to evenings helps to relieve stress from work anyway.

I prefer early morning since it's cooler and it gets me rejuvenated for the day. I think it's mostly preference; it's probably more important to pick a time that you like so you actually get out there and do it.

Deleted
    I run at 5:30 at the morning, the silence is bliss.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    I guess it’s all preference then?
    Yep, w/e works best for you.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaz View Post
    I run at 5:30 at the morning, the silence is bliss.
    I just have my headphones on full blast

Not really, but enough to block the noise around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    I guess it’s all preference then? so many conflicting articles on the internet its really irritating.

I think I’ll stick to evenings helps to relieve stress from work anyway.
    It really is all down to preference. A lot of people advise running right when you get up in the morning because later on after a long day at work you're less likely to want to get out there and do it, so they suggest that so you get out there and get it done with no excuses later.

It's also better to do it before you eat, unless you're running long distances, 5+ miles, in which case you'll want to have something like a banana first, to maintain potassium levels. When you do it before you've eaten in the day, your body has to get the energy from somewhere, in this case, it uses stored energy. Stored energy = fat. Also, you don't want a meal before doing it as it can lead to cramping in some cases, which will cut any run short.

It's not any more beneficial one way or the other what time you go though, as long as you go. Myself I prefer the early mornings just as the sun is starting to rise, and/or later on, right before it finishes going down for the day. That's my personal aversion to baking in the sun, though. Some people like being out in it.

As long as you're committed to getting out there and doing it, do what time works best for you, personally.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I usually will run twice a week around lunch time. I find my body feels more "awake" and my mind is more focused. Definitely makes a difference to my performance level. If you run in in the morning, at least have something light before you go - I personally think running (or performing any cardio for that matter) on an empty stomach isn't good for the body. Sumo wrestlers actually skip breakfast to help put on extra weight! Although exercise does increase metabolism, exercising without anything in your stomach will actually lower your metabolic rate in the long term.
    You've never ran 15+ miles. Eating much more than about half of a banana before you do that will make most people sick. As for the metabolism, sumo wrestlers skip the meal to lower their metabolism yes, but that's not due to exercise. Your metabolism adjusts based on the amount of calories coming in already, not based on exercise while hungry.

OT: I enjoy afternoon runs when the sun is beating down. I am the only person I've ever met that enjoys running in 95 degree weather and high humidity more than mid 70s and no humidity. I guess it's due to the increased sweating which makes me feel like I'm achieving more, I don't really know lol.