Thread: [Music] Incubus

10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Incubus

Five years after their last album (with a Greatest Hits and a solo album from Brandon Boyd thrown in between), Incubus has their new album, "If Not Now, When" releasing July 12th. Three of their songs (that I've found) are currently available already:

Promises, Promises

If Not Now, When

Adolescents

One of the great things about Incubus is that their songs, and their albums, are different. You don't feel like you're listening to the same song over and over like you can with other bands.

And even if they're not your cup of tea, you can't argue that Brandon Boyd has one of, if not THE, best voice in rock today. All that you hear, there's no digital shit in there. It's all him.

So far I'm liking it well enough. I feel though, that "Promises, Promises" sounds a bit "pop-y", like their just forcing themselves to get radio airtime. It wouldn't bother me in the least, the rock station here hasn't played a new Incubus song since "Talk Shows on Mute". In any case, I'll be the first in line wherever I go to pick it up, if I don't just order it online.

Deleted
    hm the band is meh, but dont create a new thread whenever a new record is released or the forum will get flooded

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozzna View Post
    hm the band is meh, but dont create a new thread whenever a new record is released or the forum will get flooded
    You lost me.

I don't plan on making a new thread in a week, if that's what you're asking.

10+ Year Old Account
    First listen through the CD and I gotta say, I'm not impressed.

First thing I noticed was the price. $11.88? Awesome. I was expecting $15 at least. Thought I was getting a deal. Then I turned the case over. Eleven songs? Come on, the Red Hot Chili Peppers released an album with 28 songs for $15, and oh, it worked out pretty well.

Whatever. It's worth it. Hell, it's my favorite band, I'll gladly pay that much for 11 songs. Technically, I paid more for just three songs. Good thing the rest of that soundtrack turned out to be one of my favorites ever.

After getting home and ripping open the packaging, I noticed a fatal flaw that apparently way too many people have. What is it with people making CD and DvD cases that require you to pull the disc out in a way that makes you pray to the gods that you don't scratch it? Unfortunately, this isn't the first time Incubus has done this. Artists that they are, CD case seems to be at the top of their list to make unique.

Ok, so none of that matters. Let's get right to the music. Halfway through the CD, I realized that I'm not listening to the band I fell in love with. Why? Every single song sounds EXACTLY the same. One thing I loved most about them was the fact that no matter what order I listen to their songs, I rarely heard two songs in a row that sounded like they were separated at birth. Until now. And it's not like they're great songs. It sounds like they're begging to be played on Top 40 stations. By the end of the album, they get there, but it's too late.

But the lyrics! At least the lyrics are awesome, right! They kept their subtle, enigmatic words that shows what true artists they are!

Well, not quite. Granted, most of the lyrics are subtle enough that they make you think. Except "Thieves" which, may as well been "Megalomaniac 2". But every song it seems has more repetitive lyrics than "I've Got a Feeling". And not repetitive in a catchy way. Repetitive as in, "Did they just run out of words?". I think they did. Twenty years, seven albums and a Greatest Hits is too much I guess.

Deleted
    I like them