Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Just speculation on my part but I think a lot of NA/EU people who bought into Aion early and played it on release just quit and never looked back when they hit level 30 (if even that far). The game became a grind and it kind of ruined the experience and I know they changed it to not be grinded and they added a shit ton of quests but the old saying "too little too late" applies generously here(again, opinionated speculation).
    um...wat? I went from 1-50 entirely off quests, I ended up about a bar and a half from level 50 when I finished the last quest chain in Stillmoor. They planned out the leveling process incredibly well, actually.

Beyond that, after running tier one dungeons and getting in full epics, then running tier two dungeons and getting in a new set of full epics, there just...wasn't anything to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    um...wat? I went from 1-50 entirely off quests, I ended up about a bar and a half from level 50 when I finished the last quest chain in Stillmoor. They planned out the leveling process incredibly well, actually.

Beyond that, after running tier one dungeons and getting in full epics, then running tier two dungeons and getting in a new set of full epics, there just...wasn't anything to do.
    well the RNG gods blessed you because I could not get a damn thing to drop. I was going on run number 110 trying to get the Lannok Greatsword before I quit.

The extreme RNG part of the game is partly why I stopped playing. A little is fine but Aion went to extremes with it.

yea but this could be said as well for wow.Cata came everybody ran raids for T11 now firelands comes out and everybody will be running for T12. Now wow does have a bit more for others but in the end all MMO's come down to 1 thing GRIND.

1) grind for rep
    2) grind for gear
    3) grind for craft mats
    4) grind for achives.

Grind is the main factor in all mmo's and people need to come to grips with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Incredible grind combined with lack of official support, huge numbers of bots and farmers/sellers basically killed the game. They've attempted to lessen these issues since 2.5 for the Western audience, but it hasn't brought back the population, only stemmed the bleed.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's big in Korea, and for it's originally intended audience, I am sure it's a good game.

Well in Europe the game kind of sucks, at least as far as I can see (renewed subscription like 2 weeks ago, servers are totally unbalanced.)

It's like 20% Asmo 20% Balaur 60% Elyos on Perento, dunno about other servers.. But the broker prices are stupid and PvP kinda sucks.

It's nice to have as a break to WoW but it's like 60 million xp 41-42 or so, so yeah, kinda gave up lol.

I gave up around 30, there were no quests that I could find that I could do on my own. It was either grind mobs or run instances, and since it took ~30 minutes to get a group, then another hour or two to clear the place, I said "F*ck this." It's a grindy MMO, it does nothing to hide the grind from players. Even if you stuck it out and got to 50, there was nothing to do besides get the top PvP gear and sit in Sanctum or Pandae and look all shiny. The expansion looked interesting, but I didn't play enough to get into it. It's one of those games that had a great idea that no one else had done before (The Abyss), but it's implementation just didn't feel right.

It's nice to kill time between raiding tiers after you've cleared the previous one, but I wouldn't play it as a replacement to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmlol View Post
    It's nice to have as a break to WoW but it's like 60 million xp 41-42 or so, so yeah, kinda gave up lol.
    60m xp, but mobs give you 30-40k a pop and quests give 1.5-2.5m at that level with campaign quests giving I think around 6-7m. The numbers seem huge in that game no matter what. Just subtract a few zero's and it becomes "westernized".

Deleted

Are you talking about Rift?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    60m xp, but mobs give you 30-40k a pop and quests give 1.5-2.5m at that level with campaign quests giving I think around 6-7m. The numbers seem huge in that game no matter what. Just subtract a few zero's and it becomes "westernized".
    If they do now, they certainly didn't used to. I remember back before the updates that in the 35-40 range mobs were still only giving like 6-8k xp and quests gave 50k-100k and you needed I think 10 million XP to get from 35-36.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Really? Then you and I were playing different games. When I hit 27 I had to search for hubs and most places had one to two repeatable quests.
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-07-05 at 08:34 PM. Reason: sounded too snotty

Another MMO that threw its incomplete ass into the market and expected gamers to leave completely constructed MMO's and tolerate it for a dozen patches.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    Are you talking about Rift?
    ....maybe

Guess it's time for some sleep, then. Carry on.

I felt the game was counter-intuitive to itself. Not how the playstyle was, but almost the WHOLE game in general.

I played with 2 top level legions before and after the massive server merges before I quit so I sorta know what the hell went wrong most of the time.

A lot of the endgame stuff revolved around pvp: doing dredgion (which has a cooldown and on a timer), and abyss/ground abyss pvp. Seriously, small group pvp was really fun in this game but the amount of work you have to do was enormous if you wanted gear so you wouldn't suck at pvp.

If you wanted to be amongst the mid-top tier, you NEED pvp gear. It's not even a flexible rule. The damage reduction you gain from it is HUGE. And strangely, the most efficient way or getting pvp gear is by doing PVE fort runs to save up artifacts for turn ins after hitting a rank plateau. Fort runs are determined if your whole faction side doesn't suck. If you are just a individual with no legion, this is out of your control. Have fun grinding mobs for months on end. You can only do 1 fort every 18 hours (there are 3 major forts, 2 minor forts) and if your faction don't control these forts you can't do them at all.

You might think, "that's not bad, you just have to work with your faction and get shit done" WRONG. A lot of the dumb faction politics get muddled by PVE affairs. Since there are world bosses that drop useable gear (coughzapielspearcough) to use or disenchant, a lot of legions fight amongst each other since you can killsteal or reset bosses to annoy the fuck out of each other. So generally, legions are dicks to each other in PVE land, and that spills over to PVP land, since usually factions are fragile enough that if ONE legion doesn't show up, you wouldn't have enough numbers to take a fort, therefore not an efficient way of getting pvp armor, therefore you sucking at pvp since you get one shotted.

Oh and along with abyss points you need silver/gold/plat medals. You can get a few everytime you attack and succeed in taking a fort, but the REAL medal income comes from holding these forts. That means that the legion that does the most damage on a fort boss gets the fort. And allll the medals go to them. These top legions control the medal market and if you're not in these legions you'd have to beg for medals or pay an arm and a leg for them. (ever wonder why there were so many botters/gold buyers? lol).

So basically, the majority of the system just doesn't work together. No synergy, just assfuckery. People are rewarded for being jerks to each other and yet must rely on each other to take a step forward.

For all the crap that went on i'm actually surprised how some legions sucked up their egos and got shit done. Kudos to them.
    Last edited by aej; 2011-07-05 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aej View Post
    So basically, the majority of the system just doesn't work together. No synergy, just assfuckery. People are rewarded for being jerks to each other and yet must rely on each other to take a step forward.
    This is how I felt after visiting the forums for a few questions. Biggest bunch of assholes I have ever had the displeasure to be around.

Just, be kind.

Aion did have something going for it and that was faction drama. See just when you thought nothing could top WoW drama ..Aion drama comes along and dwarfs it. WoW drama was like that guild is selling runs for real money or never group with that guild. Aion drama was what do we have to do to make sure that legion breaks up and we steal all their members or how many sexual harassment claims can you get in one game and get the Missouri state police called on you.

All I got to say about Aion is Mortred!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aterons View Post
    It still haven't passed the 1 mil subscriber mark and just as all the other mmos ( namely guild war, guild war 2, WH,LOTR...etc ) it will become free to play soon enough.
    GuildWars never charged people to play it. It also did pass 1 million,

http://www.guildwars.com/events/pres...2008-02-26.php

it was 5 million in 2008. The thing is that it wasn't a sub game. GuildWars 2 is not going to be a sub game either. So I'm not sure how you can say they went free to play, when they never charged to play to begin with.

Sadly, I got swept away with the hype and purchased the game, only ever paying for it one month and playing for maybe a week.

It was pretty, but that was it. Though it was Americanized, it still reeked of Chinese grindfest.