Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's faster leveling, dungeon or questing ?

Hello everyone !

I'm trying to realise a personal achievement of mine, leveling 10 lvl 85 on the same realm. (1 of each class). I currently have 4x85, so i have a long way ahead of me.. i'd just like to know, what is the fastest way to level: random dungeons (still dooing quest while in queue) or questing-only ?

Deleted
    fastest way is in my expirience is questing and only doing instances if you have quests in there.
    sholo for instance gives about a whole lvl just for the quests

Depends on what you're playing. If you're a tank/healer, dungeon running is usually quicker. If you're a DPS, just quest while waiting in the queue.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Syl3r View Post
    fastest way is in my expirience is questing and only doing instances if you have quests in there.
    Quest XP for dungeons was nerfed intensely a while back. The quests give you shit for xp.

depends on your class, tanks and healers go faster through dungeons, at least up till wrath content, then things slow down and its faster to quest. BC you can do some of both, or stick with one or the other, either way its close.

DPS classes queue and quest while doing it, avoid tradeskills if possible until 85, unless youre going with skinning, and possibly mining/herbalism, as long as you can level those while you quest, but its hard to keep the skill up to the zone youre in without farming some for mining/herbs.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syl3r View Post
    ^ THIS ^

unless you're a tank, just quest. it's much more xp per hour.

i have leveled multiple toons only by questing and i have to say that it is the fastest way, all of them were done from 1-85 in less than 5 days played(4 total toons since cata release)

Questing is a lot faster, even for a tank or healer.

Questing is faster unless you wear a helmet and drool on yourself.

Reason being is in Looking for dungeon and battle ground groups, if you aren't the helmet wearing drooler, the other 4 are. So either quest, or get 4 others in your guild to level with you and dungeon that way.

Thanks for the answers I will stick to questing-only then

I would say just questing and a dungeon might go a bit ahead if you have a few quests to complete there, but never do a particular dungeon more than once.

Really though, for your own sanity, I would do an occasional dungeon just to break up the monotony. Leveling fast is great and all and I know you have a goal but you should do what you enjoy doing so it feels more like a game and less like a chore.

For me personally, dungeons. But that's because I am sick of questing and loathe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I would say just questing and a dungeon might go a bit ahead if you have a few quests to complete there, but never do a particular dungeon more than once.

Really though, for your own sanity, I would do an occasional dungeon just to break up the monotony. Leveling fast is great and all and I know you have a goal but you should do what you enjoy doing so it feels more like a game and less like a chore.
    I was just going to say this. If you plan on leveling up 6 more toons to 85 then I wouldn't worry as much about the fastest way but rather I'd try to mix a variety of questing, dungeons, and even PVP'ing to gain levels because otherwise I think you'll burn out or it will stop being fun.

I'd say alternate.
    Since you have 6 to go:

A dps class, full questing.
    Tank/Healer, full dungeons.

The dungeon classes might be a tad slower, but doing 6 chars on questing alone in a row will cause you to go mental, and prolly quit midway.

Deleted
    Questing is faster, no matter what class provided you know the areas and quests

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I figured which one is the best only recently because of refer a friend -- And the answer is both.

Running the same dungeon (or long and painful ones) over and over will ONLY result into slower leveling. HOWEVER, fast ones (like Scarlet Monastery) is DEFINITLY a fastest way to level, even more when you have the quests in it.

Now, if you need, lets say, 2 more level before the next instance, I greatly recommend you quest for it normally, or you'll find the grind dead boring.

Hope it help =)

I actually think the answer is more complicated and dependent on where you are in the game. I'd suggest something like this:

1-15: Quests
    15-50: Quests, with dungeons if you have quests for them
    50-60: Quests
    60-65: Go to Outlands and do Hellfire Quests and AV (even if you hate pvp, BG wins here really pay off; 5-6 bubbles a pop)
    65-68: Terrokar/Nagrand Quests and AV
    68-80: Kill yourself...seriously, there's no fast way to do it...and anyone telling you differently is selling something.
    80-85: Quests, with dungeons if you have quests for them
    Last edited by Graven2; 2011-07-05 at 04:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Questing is much faster, especially with the streamlined quests at lower levels. Personally, I mostly BG level all my characters. Quite a bit slower, but if I'm having fun while leveling, there is no rush to hit 85.

Levelling my most recent char, i found dungeons to be fastest up till wotlk level. Then questing and dungeons only on rested exp.

This was with full heirlooms apart from ring.

Likely some linear combination of both. Quest while you queue?

Fastest way would be to buy another account & RaF it to your original, with that, you could level up 6 85's (on your account) in around the same time it takes to level 1 85 & a level 60 normally.

To Clarify - With RaF (that now goes up to 80) you gain XP at 3x speed, with that your RaF account also can grant one level to your main account for every 2 levels it earns. So basically 2 RaF 80's = a FREE Main 80 (so, for every 2 RaF 80's, you get 3 Main 80's).

Also, this way you can have the RaF always be a tank for an instance which then == instant queue times & much much faster dungeons.
    Last edited by Juneah; 2011-07-05 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Clarifying.