are aff locks strong with good gear?

so i met this gnome in tb he had about 3.5k resil and asked me to gank some horde with him. I was on my frost mage at the time doing dailies and i only had 1 piece of pvp gear on.

We find a dk and a destro lock, he asked me to keep the lock busy. I went down pretty quick though, lol. However, the gnome took them both down. He said they didnt have much resil anyway. This was before 4.2 btw, dks are probably easier now.

Well my question is, i know, any class with that much resil can be good. But a aff lock, has strong self heals and decent dot damage is better ?

With that much resil, a warlock has about 50% DR as long as their pet is alive, combined with their self heals, they are fairly hard to kill. Where aff falls apart is spike damage, of which they have none, meaning if the opposing team has a healer its fairly easy to heal through their damage, especially considering most of it can be prevented with dispels.

Against multi-DPS teams, or in world PvP where no healer is present, warlocks do very well, especially against easily kited melee (read: paladins and DKs). We are however practically holding a "kill me" sign to any rogues who spot us and realize we're a warlock....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    Against multi-DPS teams, or in world PvP where no healer is present, warlocks do very well, especially against easily kited melee (read: paladins and DKs). We are however practically holding a "kill me" sign to any rogues who spot us and realize we're a warlock....
    sorry to break ur dreams but how u wanna kite any decent dk with a 30% slow
    a dk can spam chains on u and deathgrip in addition to a nice 50% slow if they are unholy, a pet that can leap at u and stun u and a nice ns spam to reduce ur healing to laughable amounts...

Lets also add in warriors that if you can kite them they deserve to die cuz they're just terrible but you pretty much can't kite a warrior. Paladins have their bubble and hand of freedom so you're really only left with rogues which imo have been my easiest kills but they also have tools to get out of it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    With that much resil, a warlock has about 50% DR as long as their pet is alive, combined with their self heals, they are fairly hard to kill. Where aff falls apart is spike damage, of which they have none, meaning if the opposing team has a healer its fairly easy to heal through their damage, especially considering most of it can be prevented with dispels.

hahaha you serious? The first paragraph is absolutely true and valid however I'm completely puzzled about the second.... Dks counter warlocks really really hard. (Much harder than a rogue, for that matter)

I run around with about 3.8k resil on my lock, and I find myself in major need of babysitting versus melee.(Dks/Warriors) Either need spam healed through their initial burst and CDs (AMS/Lichborne/Berserker rage) or need them peeled off. I know I'm not the only warlock that finds dks just impossible to kill (unless they're playing insanely bad)...

To the OP: 3.5k resil is pretty good anyway, I'm just willing to bet it's a lot more likely the problem was with that particular dk (Which group opened on the other? Was the dk in pvp gear? Were they in combat?) rather than affliction locks being too good. (In 1v1 or 2v2, I personally don't think we're too good... but really just because of how badly we're countered by melee)

With that said, yes.. warlocks tend to scale well and do a lot better in pvp with very high resilience.

Thanks Sokogeka<3

the other pair i believe was also looking to fight someone. Once we crossed the bridge from the ally camp into the spiders, they were there walking around.

They had spotted just as we unmounted and the dk ran to the lock and the destro lock was on me. I died pretty quick. I was watching the gnome dot and fearing the destro lock while having the dk on his ass.

I think they were just bad or something, i dont know how he was able to shrug off the dks damage like it was nothing. Although he was very good with his felhunter. Silenced that other lock down and slowly killed him.

Then the same dk came again later on this time with a disc priest. He said just keep the healer sheeped. This time it took a little longer but eventually the dk dropped and then we gang banged the healer. The dk seemed to have a few bloodthirsty on, wasnt sure about the lock. The healer was in pve gear, he was easy to kill.

Aff locks seem really strong, maybe i should dust off my lock and get him geared :Pthe other pair i believe was also looking to fight someone. Once we crossed the bridge from the ally camp into the spiders, they were there walking around.

They had spotted just as we unmounted and the dk ran to the lock and the destro lock was on me. I died pretty quick. I was watching the gnome dot and fearing the destro lock while having the dk on his ass.

I think they were just bad or something, i dont know how he was able to shrug off the dks damage like it was nothing. Although he was very good with his felhunter. Silenced that other lock down and slowly killed him.

Then the same dk came again later on this time with a disc priest. He said just keep the healer sheeped. This time it took a little longer but eventually the dk dropped and then we gang banged the healer. The dk seemed to have a few bloodthirsty on, wasnt sure about the lock. The healer was in pve gear, he was easy to kill.

Aff locks seem really strong, maybe i should dust off my lock and get him geared :P

Quote Originally Posted by butterzz View Post
    sorry to break ur dreams but how u wanna kite any decent dk with a 30% slow
    a dk can spam chains on u and deathgrip in addition to a nice 50% slow if they are unholy, a pet that can leap at u and stun u and a nice ns spam to reduce ur healing to laughable amounts...
    This is true. Not to mention AMS as well as 1 min talented strangulate. GL kiting them. Warriors? Don't get me started. The only melee class we can kite effectively are Paladins and Rogues, to an extent.

I've never had real problems kiting my DK friends (that said they might just be garbage at PvP, they tend more towards PvE). And I only really play my warlock in PvP casually (under 2k rating), so I likely haven't seen "good" DKs. Sorry. Paladins are pretty much fucked against anything with a snare however, as Blizzard doesn't feel they need a real closer.

Doesn't change the fact however that with a lot of resil, aff locks are essentially tiny little PvP tanks... including a tank's inability to spike down anything...

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never had real problems kiting my DK friends (that said they might just be garbage at PvP, they tend more towards PvE). And I only really play my warlock in PvP casually (under 2k rating), so I likely haven't seen "good" DKs. Sorry. Paladins are pretty much fucked against anything with a snare however, as Blizzard doesn't feel they need a real closer.

Doesn't change the fact however that with a lot of resil, aff locks are essentially tiny little PvP tanks... including a tank's inability to spike down anything...
    Yea mate, your friend is garbage. Kiting a DK is near impossible if he is talented
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The dk doesnt even need to be anything close to good/decent to kill a warlock pretty effortlessly... Theres just no contest, they have ways of countering every one of our ''OP abilities".

Perhaps the gnome that killed the dk was just plain pretty good, but Im still willing to bet the dk was just doing things very very wrong. Destro lock is a non issue, they're insanely easy to kill.

Thanks Sokogeka<3