Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I make a lot of gold on the AH, and I have no problem what so ever under cutting for multiple reasons.
    Firstly, I have a pretty good feel at what will sell at what price. People often see that something is not represented on the ah and post it for a ridiculous price. Such as people selling Darkmoon Earthquake cards for 1200 to 2000 gold. Those cards never sell for that, that's practically the cost of the whole deck. I sell those at 600 to 500 gold or less.

Secondly, I want my items to sell quickly, like by the next time I check the AH I want to feel the gratification of a bunch of gold waiting for me. Its not about making the most possible, it about having fun and getting rewarded. That means when someone does a search for an item, they see I have something for sale for significantly less and buy it quick. This only works because I rarely floor the AH with undercut items, I only sell a few of anything at a time.

Finally I'll mention that I don't really care if I have a negative effect on the economy, because in the game I'm a consumer as well. Also at the end of the day, we're all playing with pixel monopoly money that has no real value. (Other than the gold black market).

Quote Originally Posted by r3nd View Post
    I hate those idiots that undercut by so much, like the 30g to 15g you were talking about.

REALLY screws up the economy.

Hardened Elementium usually sells for around 100-130g, but lately there has been a bunch of retards selling them for 50-70g.

Shit pisses me off.
    I'm not that good at auction house, but I know that if you're getting undercut that much, buy them and repost them instead of being what you called them. Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    @Industry: Entirely possible. Out of curiosity what do the other volatiles go for on your realm? Is Transmute Living Elements still profitable?
    Volatile fires are anywhere from 13-19g, earth is about the same, and Volatile Airs are anywhere from 19-30g.

You can make sizable profits if you know what you're doing through undercuts and the AH. That's all I'm gonna say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvaldin View Post
    You can make sizable profits if you know what you're doing through undercuts and the AH. That's all I'm gonna say.
    Yeah, I mean when I sit at home bored and notice a ridiculous undercut one of the simplest things to do is buyout and resale. But like I said in a previous post I hate posting something, leaving and coming back to no sales because of a 10g+ undercut.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always undercut but i usually only do it by about 20g at the most, no more than that and no less than 5g
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    I undercut by 10% all the time. Going down a few copper just to be "Cheaper" is wel... cheap. I will never buy anything from people who do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    i personally under cut by 1 copper some times but when i see others being under cut by 1 copper i buy from the person who isnt undercutting its only 1 copper but it feels right..

Everyones self-worth should only be measured by how useful they would be in the Zombie Apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    whenever im posting gems or chants/mats i always undercut by 30 silver or 1 gold. that way hopefully if someones gonna undercut me, they arent gonna completely tank the market..hopefully.

i agree with the big mac concept. would u rather buy one for $5 or wait a week and try selling one for $20? see how many customers will pay $20 for an item (this one being a burger) just because you list it as that much.

in my case, whiptails. whenever im bored waiting for dungeons q's on my hunter i would farm whiptails and put them in the ah for the lowest price. this varies quite often on days from 65g x20 stacks or 40g in 20 stacks. if its 40g id sell mine for anywhere between 30-35g. typically 31 or 32 since whiptail gets farmed quite often in Uldum and respawns very fast ( LOL 10g per volatile life. try like 2) Id end up with over 200 lives in around an hour or 2.

anyway somehow my whiptails always sell. the 10 stacks i get from farming for 30 mins-1 hour becomes a nice 300g. then 600g. had i been greedy and tried to sell for 41g id have already lost out to the other undercutters that sell at 36/37g.

the same concept applies with everything. jus because people have items listed for outrageous amounts doesnt mean they will sell. and yes undercutting is good. keeps people on their toes.

10+ Year Old Account
    When ever I post an auction I undercut with a copper.
    I do hate when I have about 20+ auctions up and some random pastes his auctions for 10g less.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    OP what is not cool is when instead of you undercutting the guy who undercut you, you have to wait for another day because he undercut by 20g and other people followed him, lowering the market prices (gems).
    Last edited by mmoce2532cddcf; 2011-07-18 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    It's nice to take advantage of other people undercutting too. If I'm buying some material which price can vary a lot, like materials from previous campaigns, I'll leave a couple of items there on a reasonably low price so people undercut those and I can buy the newly posted items for cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd undercut by 20 silver at the most, it's an effective AH control strategy

All I do is put my bid price lower than other peoples so it shows first on the list, and then for the buyout I match whatever is lowest.

Undercutting is undercutting. Anyone who uses the AH a lot will do it and have it done to them as well. It's part of competition.

Undercutting by minute amounts is the way you are *supposed* to do it unless the item you are undercutting is ridiculously high priced to the extent where no one is going to buy it. So if you have 20 inferno rubies sitting at 99 gold each (and selling them) and some schmuck comes by and undercuts by 20 gold he is screwing himself over....because he can sell them for 99 gold too, and you, because now nobody is going to buy yours until all of his are gone, but in the meantime, someone else may undercut him and before you know it people are paying 59 gold for an item that was worth 99 24 hours earlier.

Addons like auctioneer do the undercutting for you, that is probably how this guy threw it in there...I honestly don't even pay attention to who I'm undercutting with small/stackable items I just throw them in there and click create auction and don't think anything else of it. I would never undercut by more than 1%, and even that can be way too much in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by avengingbt View Post
    Personally I'd rather you undercut me by 1c. Getting undercut by 500g is such a slap in the face, not only have you undercut me, but you're driving down the price too.

I have no issues with people undercutting me, just don't destroy the price for when I DO manage to get a sale.
    What makes no sense is that people think that they will sell their goods solely by undercutting by a large amount which is so not the case. If someone gets a new shiny 378 BoE wep from FL they dont give 2 shits about the cost of the scroll. If some idiot undercutted by 500g and sells well he just lost that much gold and like you said over time it will only hurt the market by driving prices lower in the long run.

Well... honestly undercutting is not that big a deal. I undercut by a lot because I like my stuff to sell. And when people undercut me I'm not mad at all because well, how the hell else are you going to get your stuff to sell on the AH??

People can sell their items for whatever price they like, for whatever the reasons. Why do so many people complain when others are willing to sell at a cheaper price?

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    People can sell their items for whatever price they like, for whatever the reasons. Why do so many people complain when others are willing to sell at a cheaper price?
    Because it kills our profit?

Example: I'm selling 100g gems on the AH. Someone posts 20 for 70g. In this situation, I would still undercut by 1 copper, but I would be making 30 gold less per gem I sell. If a gem costs 40 gold to make, that's half the profit I'd make without the stupid undercut the previous person made.