Deleted

Laptop hard drive question

So my girlfriends laptop got screwed up last week. Something with the "rechargemodule" so she can't recharge it anymore and it's dead forever and no she ain't interested in repairing it, it was quite a old computer anyway so she have decided to buy a new one.

But, to the problem. She had alot of pictures on her old laptop that she rather don't wanna lose.
    So the question is, is there anyway that I can restore her pictures from her dead laptop to my own computer or an external hard drive or something similar?

PS.
    The computer itself works great so there's nothing wrong with the harddrive and therefore I must be able to get her pictures right? Ive read a bit about it and came up to that my computer (a stationary) have a SATA harddrive and her's (laptop) a ATA or something like that. So I can't plug it into my computer, but is there any other similar way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    You could probably just take the SATA HDD out of the laptop if it's fucked. Unscrew all the screws, let it fall to pieces, and locate the slim 3.5" HDD.

Deleted
    Okay thx. Will have a clooser look into it tomorrow, but im not sure if it was an SATA harddrive in it. If it isn't is there some other way?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdouja View Post
    Okay thx. Will have a clooser look into it tomorrow, but im not sure if it was an SATA harddrive in it. If it isn't is there some other way?
    Uh, it could be, but probably isn't, IDE. Most motherboards still use IDE connections, or throw one on the board for shits and giggles. You should be set.

Depending on the age of the laptop it could be IDE or SATA, probably SATA unless it's >4 years old, and even then it could go both ways. As for retrieving the data, you can just find a stable place in your case that you can set it and hook up sata connections, alternatively many retailers (big box stores and online) sell everything from simple USB->SATA cables to full on enclosures to turn it into a permanent external HDD.

EDIT: (In case of IDE) USB cables for IDE connections are a bit rarer, but the enclosure shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Last edited by Priestiality; 2011-07-05 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    as suggested, just take it out, hook it up in your own computer, and done.

Deleted
    Thanks for help guys, will try to put it into my own computer if it now seems to be a SATA.

Even if it's IDE, there is hope. There are IDE/SATA to USB adapters out there. PM me if you want some links on Newegg to a product that will suit your needs.