Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bronzie SC2 help

Hi hi MMO-C fans of Blizzard Galore. I'm an avid wow player and picked up SC2 when it came out although i never played BW. Now, I am a bronze protoss, but not for lack of skill.. I am good (as far as bronze can be), I don't win every game but I do manage to win quite a few convincingly with 3-gate blink stalkers, trusty 4-gate, and I'm gonna try out a wacky warp prism drop build i saw on TL. I can master builds and win with them, but my only problem is that I get "scared" for lack of better word to play. Whenever I sit down to play I get nervous and join a game. If I end up winning I feel happy and go again but if I lose I just get kinda bum and don't feel like playing anymore. The only time this attitude doesn't exist is when I have a friend over and we're doing some LAN or something like that. So yeah, basically playing SC2 alone makes me bummed when I lose.. help? suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Zulfarror View Post
    Hi hi MMO-C fans of Blizzard Galore. I'm an avid wow player and picked up SC2 when it came out although i never played BW. Now, I am a bronze protoss, but not for lack of skill.. I am good (as far as bronze can be), I don't win every game but I do manage to win quite a few convincingly with 3-gate blink stalkers, trusty 4-gate, and I'm gonna try out a wacky warp prism drop build i saw on TL. I can master builds and win with them, but my only problem is that I get "scared" for lack of better word to play. Whenever I sit down to play I get nervous and join a game. If I end up winning I feel happy and go again but if I lose I just get kinda bum and don't feel like playing anymore. The only time this attitude doesn't exist is when I have a friend over and we're doing some LAN or something like that. So yeah, basically playing SC2 alone makes me bummed when I lose.. help? suggestions?
    Play more and stop caring about your rank, you'll play better. That and team games are a good way to break into the game if you just want to have fun without anything important at stake.

Uh dust yourself off and que again?

Well OP, you're already better off than I am. I've had the game since the first day it came out and literally all I've done is campaign...repeatedly. I haven't touched the ladder AT ALL I'm that afraid of how bad I suck at this game.

It's normal. I played like 500 Games from Bronze up to Platin and still get nervous a bit. But I managed to not be scarred of laddering. It's normal to get frustrated if you lose because of really stupid moves by yourself (Don't raise suplly depot, lings get in... GG!).
    At Bronze-League it doesn't matter how you play. Try to learn a solid build for every matchup and just play and try to improve your mechanics and your micro.

2 words..... four gate

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerkingli View Post
    2 words..... four gate
    If you 4-gate vs. zerg/terran and don't lose, they suck...

In those low brackets you just gotta keep a clear head. There's so many cheese strats, I joke with my friends of what the "cheese of the day" is every time I log in cuz it always seems like there is one. Making the assumption that you're playing straight up and missing something like a proxy or a cannon rush is extremely frustrating.

Typically I do my very best to have perfect build orders. Timing is everything in this game and it's incredibly important in the low brackets where there's a lot of mistakes. Most of those games are won or lost in the first 10 minutes. Having a solid opening build/strat for each race, and being able to react and respond to what they do is key.
    Last edited by arden714; 2011-07-06 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neinen View Post
    He is in Bronze... most of the bronze player have no build and do BOs like supply depot into EBay. I think if you have a anything near solid 4gate you can easily win with it in every matchup until gold.

http://day9.tv/ <-- Replace a few games a week with watching this dude, specifically Newbie Tuesday.

As far as feeling scared/nervous/awkward when you play online, I find that it helps to be silly in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Neinen View Post
    You can 4gate yourself to Masters so I don't see why it's such a bad advice to give someone in Bronze.
    It's a strong build overall.

10 replies :O thanks!

but yeah you've all said what I thought I needed to do. I've been doing more team games with my friends and I'm starting to get into it more.. Alas, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulfarror View Post
    http://day9.tv/

Edit: Damn, beaten to it.

Oh well, i'll add something

Blah, blah, blah, blah, /mirror, Day9!

Ive honestly never have had a game where 4 gate has been successful for me. 3 gate expand is the only build where i can win pretty consistently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HadleyX View Post
    It's normal. I played like 500 Games from Bronze up to Platin and still get nervous a bit. But I managed to not be scarred of laddering. It's normal to get frustrated if you lose because of really stupid moves by yourself (Don't raise suplly depot, lings get in... GG!).
    At Bronze-League it doesn't matter how you play. Try to learn a solid build for every matchup and just play and try to improve your mechanics and your micro.
    Macro is much better to learn early-on instead of micro.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

I know how it feels to be nervous, i just got SC2 recently and have won about 41 games so far with few wins using a standard 4-gate or my own little Templar gate strat, works well for me so far, though as of now I'm learning to play zerg on the side and to me zerg is more challenging but fun. Ok I'm getting side-tracked but the point of my post is to say, its ok to be nervous but don't let your own fears ruin the game for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Play more and stop caring about your rank, you'll play better. That and team games are a good way to break into the game if you just want to have fun without anything important at stake.
    This is exactly right. As soon as you start playing for the enjoyment of the game and not for your ladder rating you won't get nervous. Your ladder rating will improve and you will improve significantly as a player.

Thanks for all the reccomendations. Coincidentally I have started doing more team games, but also some 1v1. I just did a really nice (for me :P) 3-gate blink vs zerg, the only problem is... idk how to upload it to sc2 replayed. I've been searching around but idk...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Homies View Post
    Ive honestly never have had a game where 4 gate has been successful for me. 3 gate expand is the only build where i can win pretty consistently.
    If zerg goes Spawning Pool into Expand or just goes FE and you make a zealot heavy 4-gate with a few stalkers to handle his queens + tentacles, you just need to micro a little and it's instant win

I think we'll all been where the OP is when we started out SC2; few common tips are: ---- Forget about ranking and ladder, you play to get better and until you'll hit master/GM, don't care (since others don't either!) about your rank. YOU ARE YOUR GREATEST OPPONENT. ----- Laddering seems scary for newbies, because of points and leagues, but again, don't care. ----- Repeat to yourself "I suck!" - That is the first step to get better. If you start off thinking you're good, you'll never realize your mistakes and blunders and never achieve anything higher you could have achieved if you were objective. -Have fun while playing and you'll get better eventually in the long run with no doubt. That's basically it, then everything else is personal and thank God that the SC2 community is one of the best in the gaming scene.
    Real tanks don't use that foo foo magic stuff...we use steel and harsh language.

My faith in humanity before WotLK : ------|---
    after : -|--------