Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Why is country hated?

I can't figure this one out. For years I've heard people say how they HATE country and how awful it is. People say they hate hip-hop/pop because it takes no skill, it's all about money/bitches/cars etc etc. Okay, I understand that, even though I disagree and think it's closeminded. But I've never heard why exactly people hate country. Is this another one of those popular things to do, to hate something because it's "cool" to do so, without ever listening to the genre?

Myself, I love country, but I was also raised on it as a child so I guess I'm slightly biased towards it. Even so, I think most country songs (not the bullshit "country pop" on the radio like Taylor Swift) are great because they tell a story, involving you with the emotion of the song. With the exception of pop country, I've heard very few bad songs. Here's a great example of a good country song

You can't tell me that is shit music. If you don't like country yourself, explain why!

I don't necessarily hate country, but to me it all sounds about the same. One guitar, maybe a bass or piano, and some old country guy talking about something stupid. I'm not a big fan of the Old West style movies either, so it's probably just that I don't care about the country scene.

I remember a friend of mine showed me how easy it was to make a country song. One acoustic guitar and just talk about something bad like drinking or women. He sounded pretty good while just making it up on the fly.

There are some country songs I like, I can't think of any and too lazy to look them up but they are fast(er) paced, and humorous.

For your song, it's exactly what I don't get. It's not that appealing to me. I've tried to listen to country, I've tried many different bands but it just doesn't sound good to me. It's OK, I won't tell someone to turn it off but I wouldn't choose to listen to it if I had a choice.

Heh, so many people who like country, would care less for The Highwayman. Bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate country at all.

I do hate insipid musicians who turn to country because they fail at other forms of music (most of today's country), and then get the full court press on the radio / CMT.

Country as a genre all but died 10-15 years ago when it turned into country-pop. I'm sure there's a gem or 3 out there, but I CBA to sift through the dross to find it.
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-07-06 at 06:13 AM.

Hate country. Then again nobody really likes it outside of the US.

My parents have always been big country fans. I never cared for it. Some of it, I appreciate for what it is, but (like rap) a lot of it is just too similar, and too boring for me. That's pretty much what it is, boring and overly similar. If Johnny Cash is country, then I loves some Cash, and even some old stuff, but mostly it just doesn't appeal to me.

My honky tonk don't swing that way.

Everyone hates country. Here is country music- basic guitar line with TALKING about an ex girlfriend in a terrible accent. Well my girlfriend left me...No Im gonna get drunk....Im soo sad...blah blah blah<--------------country music.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Country music isn't hated. People really need to take a music history class or something. The music that people refer to when they say they hate "country" is actually country western. Real country music is played by people like Johnny Cash and the rest of the million dollar quartet. Country music really is white music, and without it we wouldn't have Rock and roll, and later rock and the various splitting of genres. Rock and roll is a product of the combination of the harmony of country and the rhythm of jazz and blues.

Now I really do hate country western music, but I absolutely love country/southern rock from the 70's (the almond brothers, lynard skinard, commander cody). I really grew tired of the same damn message that is in every country western song, which is one of three things. Sadness, America, or nostalgia.

I just dislike the whole sound, the banjo, the accent (no offense, I'm dating someone with a southern accent if it makes it better) just everything, I can't explain it better then that.

I also wouldn't call it shit music, just not my cup of tea.

Oddly enough, I like Johnny Cash. Figure that out.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-07-06 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanburrito View Post
    You can't tell me that is shit music. If you don't like country yourself, explain why!
    Umm... I like country, but this song barely fits the genre. Or may be I just don't like this particular piece.
    The kind of country I enjoy is more like:

Music is all about opinion. Some people like rap for example and I despise it. To me it's not music. It's not talent. It's just awful. And it's all the same junk. But then you get people who will defend rap to the ends of the earth no matter what.

As for country I don't really care for it, but it's better than rap. Anything is. Hell even yodeling.

Quote Originally Posted by beanburrito View Post
    I can't figure this one out. For years I've heard people say how they HATE country and how awful it is. People say they hate hip-hop/pop because it takes no skill, it's all about money/bitches/cars etc etc. Okay, I understand that, even though I disagree and think it's closeminded. But I've never heard why
    Ok Rap is all about those thing but then so is country NAME one country sone that doesnt involve love/drinking or driving

I dislike so much about it. The accent most of the singers use/have is unbearable. The whole sound of it just isn't enjoyable to me, don't really know why other than the vocals on the music.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doerksen View Post
    Ok Rap is all about those thing but then so is country NAME one country sone that doesnt involve love/drinking or driving
    You forgot mamas, trains, prison, trucks, or rain....
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-07-06 at 07:08 AM.

I don't hate it. I just have no real opinion on it.

All I know is my mother likes Dolly Parton.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    You forgot mamas, trains, prison, trucks, or rain....
    lol your right i did

I can't stand country, at all, and I love all types of music. (Literally, I love everything but country <_< Dubstep, house, death metal, alternative, techno, hard style, You name it.)
    I wish I could explain to you just why I don't like it, but I can't. Even though my sister loves it, and listened to it constantly as I was growing up, I never got into it.
    Maybe thats why I don't, because anything my sister liked when I was young I hate. haha
    ...Never mind, I just realized why. :P

Country music is a state of mind.. that not a lot of people are in.

A lot of it is depressing.

A lot of it is up tempo and corny with unique lyrics that only appeal to a smal segment of society.

Lyrics aside, even the music is nauseating. SOOO tired of the slide guitar sound.

That being said, I worked a job for a year where the boss listened to a country station. I will have to admit about 10% of the songs were actually good.

I'll bet the OP's answer can be proven mathematically, ie. nails on a chalkboard annoy 100% of the population for a scientific reason that can be proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeerus View Post
    ...Never mind, I just realized why. :P
    cuase country sucks

Very simple sounds and accents which i find annoying. The lyrics all end up being near the same. Western Country or Country, i very much dislike them.

However! I have found good western music in the band Ghoultown. Horrorpunk with a western theme. Very neat. And Johnny Cash. He is amazing.