Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
    This is correct. I've worked at three different institutions. All three block or throttle ports used for torrent traffic. They also block or throttle common download sites such as rapidshare.

Some institutions also preemptively detect students who are downloading stuff and issue warnings. This resulted from the institutions striking a deal to monitor their own usage to avoid lawsuits and criminal action against themselves and their students.

So far I have been able to use easynews at full speed (not for anything illegal, of course) at all three institutions, so you may want to consider a usenet client/subscription.
    The schools I have attended are so strict about stopping illegal downloads that you pretty much can't do ANYTHING with their internet.... I can't patch World of Warcraft at school =/
    Being a 'casual' is not an excuse to be ignorant or bad at the game, so please quit associating one with the other.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Lol who told you that? They have their own servers and routers, but if you're in a dorm it's unlikely you're hooked up to the main one used by the tech department. They get their internet from the same places as all private organizations, just they get a tonne more bandwidth.

But yeah, it's more likely you'll just be getting access via a normal connection and not the universities. Also the odds of them monitoring download speeds that much is low, just make sure you do 0 seeding.
    I don't think you have a clue how IP networking actually works, let alone how they are maintained and monitored on a private level.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Deleted
    I'm also getting my downloads sorted because I don't want to put it in a position where I'm keeping the computer own for overnight downloading and also, I do not know about download speeds/restrictions at the university I am heading to.

To OP, where ya going to uni? I'm off to Napier in Edinburgh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotai View Post
    I'm also getting my downloads sorted because I don't want to put it in a position where I'm keeping the computer own for overnight downloading and also, I do not know about download speeds/restrictions at the university I am heading to.

To OP, where ya going to uni? I'm off to Napier in Edinburgh
    I am going to The University of Manchester :P

Thats one of the things i love from mah country... none gives a fuck what you do on internet!

well unless you life-threat president's son over facebook

why would it be illegal? youre not selling or renting it away.
    you could have easily recorded it on tv and then watched it on your computer, imo its the totally same thing.

Who cares. Going 65 in a 60 is illegal too, and I also don't care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    imo its the totally same thing.
    Except it's not the same thing, since if you were able to record it you would allready be paying for it.

No matter how people try to twist it, it's illegal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikerth View Post
    The schools I have attended are so strict about stopping illegal downloads that you pretty much can't do ANYTHING with their internet.... I can't patch World of Warcraft at school =/
    My first year at college before I transferred was quite similar. I had to get permission to use WoW and XboX Live. Many sites were throttled. There was an absolutely ridiculous file sharing program that was going on though. It essentially allowed us to access the music libraries of everyone in our housing area and share files that way. I must have pirated damn near 200 cds that year lol.

Deleted
    Yes, in theory downloading TV show is illegal.

But compared to movies for example, it's not really tracked or pursued because the legislation is so different all over the world.

While I've heard of people getting in trouble for downloading films, I haven't ever heard anything of the like about TV shows. I'm pretty sure that it's "tolerated".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    why would it be illegal? youre not selling or renting it away.
    you could have easily recorded it on tv and then watched it on your computer, imo its the totally same thing.
    It is the same thing as long as you are already paying for TV in some fashion, or if it is free on Hulu, Fancast, or the network's website. If you aren't paying or it isn't freely available from the right's holder it isn't different at all from stealing anything else. It is illegal to steal a car even if I am not selling it or opening my own Hertz location.

I'm also from the UK. Guess you might want to try looking at http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/pre-reg/

Deleted
    Isn't it illegal to share but is not illegal to actually download them? So technically you can get around the piracy law by saying that you do in fact download them, but you aren't breaking the law because you aren't sharing them.

Deleted
    it is NOT illegal in a lot of countries, it's illegal to pass on, i.e upload material, which you automatically do through the use of torrents but not usenet​.

but they're changing the laws as we speak, so meh.

At my university they crack down big time on torrents and p2p downloading, however, there are ways to get around it.

The best and most legal option is to buy a slingbox. They're slightly expensive, but if you really want to watch your own TV in a location that is not your home, it's the best option. The less legal option is to remotely access a PC at home, download the torrent there and do a direct transfer to the one at school.
    Nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus isn't a raptor

Don't ask, don't tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    if you are downloading from an autorized source such as HULU, Netflix, or etc yes it is perfectly legal

If something is freely broadcast over the air with no payment required, then I cannot see how downloading it is illegal.

However - uploading it may infringe on copyrights, and selling it would definitely be illegal.

To me - it can only be illegal if you have deprived them of something, e.g. not paying to see it etc.. otherwise, if there is no harm done to the company apart from wounded egos, then it isn't.

paul roberston says: in america all dorms have free tv

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 08:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    If something is freely broadcast over the air with no payment required, then I cannot see how downloading it is illegal.

However - uploading it may infringe on copyrights, and selling it would definitely be illegal.

To me - it can only be illegal if you have deprived them of something, e.g. not paying to see it etc.. otherwise, if there is no harm done to the company apart from wounded egos, then it isn't.
    people pay for tv. aka cable.

When going to university (or any time really), I would HIGHLY suggest using a Usenet service instead of a torrent for downloading anything. Downloading using Usenet will appear from the ISP/University's POV that you are downloading news articles. Plus, these use the most popular TCP ports, like 80, which the University really "can't" throttle or block. I suggest using SABnzbd to manage the downloads, a search engine like binsearch.info to find the NZB files, and any Usenet service provider (there are many available for around $7-$10 US / month). Though this isn't completely free, I get 1,500 MB/s download speeds and I am not required to upload a single byte to anyone else.