Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    i was running portal 2 at max a month ago with my old computer Core 2 Duo 1.86, nvidia 9800gt, everything smooth and clean...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Nope. The 240 GTS is a relatively weak graphics card, and your CPU is outdated.
    i don't know if this is a joke, sarcasm, or just exaggerating.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    What issues could it cause...? It's just a damn game. Hardware is made to keep up with levels of performance otherwise it wouldn't sell at all lol...

What you're saying is.. "I'm scared to go the speed limit in my car because it could cause issues." That's how dumb it sounds lol
    I guess so =/ I guess the issue's resolved then.

I just wanna add though that I've had previous experiences where things were going smoothly and randomly my video card would literally burn out. When I played Oblivion back in '07 on super low settings (I think I used some mods to lower the graphics lower than the lowest settings) my gtx 6600 actually melted even though the game was being played smoothly and the video card sounded fine.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    i was running portal 2 at max a month ago with my old computer Core 2 Duo 1.86, nvidia 9800gt, everything smooth and clean...

Isn't a 9800 gt better than a 240 gts?

Also, thanks for all the replies guys. Guess I'll give it a go for 4-5 hours and see how it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I guess so =/ I guess the issue's resolved then.

I just wanna add though that I've had previous experiences where things were going smoothly and randomly my video card would literally burn out. When I played Oblivion back in '07 on super low settings (I think I used some mods to lower the graphics lower than the lowest settings) my gtx 6600 actually melted even though the game was being played smoothly and the video card sounded fine.
    Isn't the GeForce 6600 an onboard chip? They usually don't have active cooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post

It was me assuming Portal 2 had an updated graphics engine. Since it doesn't, my post is rendered rather invalid. However, the CPU is still beginning to see it's age, and the 240 GTS is a relatively weak graphics card. (It's not even gaming series. X50 is entry level gaming, while X60 is targeted at the average gamer, AFAIK.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Nah it was a dedicated GPU. The 6100/6150 is onboard
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I remember mine had a gigantic fan stuck to the top of it. Had to dust if off a few times. Definitely gave me a good run.

If you have a Core i7 9xx the jump to a Sandy Bridge is a modest gain. You can just o/c the i7 9xx and it would be a waste of money to almost side grade to a Sandy Bridge. Read more.

The GTS 240 isn't terrible. It's definitely good enough to run Portal 2 on max. You are fine.

What do you mean by "sounds like it is going to melt?" If you mean the fan is going at higher speeds to keep it cool that's normal. You should just check it's temp and see if it's within normal range for your GPU on the manufacturer's site.

i7 - Enthusiast
    i5 - Mainstream

EDIT:
    It's just from someone who is misinformed.
    Last edited by sluddyazin; 2011-07-06 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvstec
    Its because everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake and their departure means something. facebookbabies

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    This is going to sound super dumb but my guage on how the card is 'overheating' is literally what the card sounds like when I'm running an application. Its silent while I'm running Oblivion on high settings with grass distance off, it sounds loud as hell with grass distance on. I don't hear a thing with it playing Portal 2.
    graphic card fans aren't typically known for their ability to be silent. I have 8 fans total in my case(200mm side, 120mm on the front, top, back, cpu). My gpu(9600gt) is by far the loudest fan in the computer, and it still runs the hottest out of any other piece in the computer save for the CPU when I'm stress testing it.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard