Deleted

Unhappy Progression raiding and Frost. Would you trust it?

I don't know where those high numbers in Rawr come from. I tried Frost in raiding, the rotation was followed relatively ok, there were minor mistakes (such as a deep freeze not being done before a frostfire), but even if I did the rotation perfectly, or almost, it would still barely reach an overal of 20.5k when arcane could do a 22.

It's also a bit immobile compared to what I thought. If you have no procs to use, one has to stay for seconds casting frostbolt in several occasions. That makes it feeling like arcane in those times.

It seems very reliable to follow a rotation compared to fire (combustion is hell to set it up reliably) but the overall result seems a bit weak. I suspect it may need a buf but they are trying to nerf it in pvp so it hurts pve.

I reserve some judgement in case perfecting rotation makes a leap in DPS.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2011-07-06 at 11:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only drawback Frost has in progression is the shorter range on its spells when compared to the other two specs. Sure, it's fine once you're used to it and know where to stand, but that isn't always the case on progression. Outside of that though, it's right up there in terms of DPS potential with Arcane, you just have to know how to eek out that extra DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    The only drawback Frost has in progression is the shorter range on its spells when compared to the other two specs. Sure, it's fine once you're used to it and know where to stand, but that isn't always the case on progression. Outside of that though, it's right up there in terms of DPS potential with Arcane, you just have to know how to eek out that extra DPS.
    Please do tell me how to eek out that extra DPS I just recently switched to Frost and I enjoy it but I tend to be behind the Arcane mages by 1-2k dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly702 View Post
    Please do tell me how to eek out that extra DPS I just recently switched to Frost and I enjoy it but I tend to be behind the Arcane mages by 1-2k dps.
    Familiarity with the spec and its positioning requirements. Reforging and gemming properly for it according to stat weights. Shit like that. To get better, you have to keep playing.

You can't just hit 1 button with frost. Check you are pushing other keys besides "1" and that those keys aren't also bound to the same ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    You can't just hit 1 button with frost. Check you are pushing other keys besides "1" and that those keys aren't also bound to the same ability.
    Why do people feel the need to still make these idiotic comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly702 View Post
    Why do people feel the need to still make these idiotic comments?
    Because they lack the ability to comprehend that we have an insanely easy rotation, but there is no "hard" rotation left in-game... it's a matter of minimizing movement, timing CD's, and min/max'ing a character properly that will seperate mediocre players from good ones.

That and most of them simply see arcane mages in randoms that have 98% AB damage because we only need 2 burn phases before a boss dies.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Because they lack the ability to comprehend that we have an insanely easy rotation, but there is no "hard" rotation left in-game... it's a matter of minimizing movement, timing CD's, and min/max'ing a character properly that will seperate mediocre players from good ones.

That and most of them simply see arcane mages in randoms that have 98% AB damage because we only need 2 burn phases before a boss dies.
    I dunno, Sub has a brutal rotation atm. However, OP, are you using Freeze on CD? making sure there are no wasted FoF? Aligning Deep Freeze with Pots/Torrent/Trinket as well as you possibly can?

Arcane mages can easily reach 22k, especially if they enter Burn with Volcanic/Mutliple Trinks/Power Torrent up. as Frost, that extra 2k might just come from using Deep Freeze at the right opportunties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I'm actually enjoying frost more than both fire and arcane at this very moment and find it's more dynamic than either spec.

It takes a bit to get used to though and requires a good UI that tracks all the short CDs/procs and opposed to arcane or fire, you have 2 statcaps you want to reach which makes reforging a tad more complex.

The only real annoyance I have with frost is the fact that on a moving boss your elemental will sometimes be close enough to cast waterbolt while it's out of range for freeze which forces you to move him manually.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    The only real annoyance I have with frost is the fact that on a moving boss your elemental will sometimes be close enough to cast waterbolt while it's out of range for freeze which forces you to move him manually.
    I've found this is actually a boss hit box artifact. If the thing is still casting, it can hit it with freeze, even if it doesn't look like it'll make it. Just bring it right to the edge of its range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    I've found this is actually a boss hit box artifact. If the thing is still casting, it can hit it with freeze, even if it doesn't look like it'll make it. Just bring it right to the edge of its range.
    Yea it often helps that if your elemental is out of range just quickly put him on passive so he comes to your position then he'll be well in range.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Yes if it's in range to waterbolt, it's in range to freeze, though I always feel like it wont make it. I've noticed for several fights in FL you can tell your pet move to a position close to the boss and have it just chill there. Our tank has a countdown macro, so as soon as he hits that I send the pet in.