PCI-E 2.0 and PCI-E 1.0

I want to get this graphics card, Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 it needs a PCI-E 2.0x16 but i have a PCI-E 1.0x16 on my motherboard. I heard that you can use a 2.0 on a 1.0 but you wont get the "full" performance out of it but its not that big of a diffrence, is this true? cause i dont wanna buy it and have it not work.

pci-e 2.0 is backwards compatible so yes it will work in a 1.0 slot.

what does that mean backwards compatible?

It means it will work in that PCI-E 1 slot

ok, thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    And it is not likely that PCI-E 1 will bottleneck a GPU like that.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

now, would a 2.1 work in a 1.0?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    now, would a 2.1 work in a 1.0?
    Depends on the card. Most low-mid end cards will work just fine in a PCIe 1.0.Only high end cards and dual chips could run out of bandwidth on a 1.0 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I want to get this graphics card, Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 it needs a PCI-E 2.0x16 but i have a PCI-E 1.0x16 on my motherboard. I heard that you can use a 2.0 on a 1.0 but you wont get the "full" performance out of it but its not that big of a diffrence, is this true? cause i dont wanna buy it and have it not work.
    Radeon 5570 will work just fine on lower speed PCIe 1.0 slot, and will not be capped by it because it's such low performance card. If you were buying for Radeon 58 or 68 series cards those might be limited by the old motherboard
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.