Holy PvE, Default GUI or go with Mods?

For Cata I've mainly been playing on my hunter, which require really no mods for the GUI. I use to heal as a paladin back in WotLK and for that it required suchs mods as grid, decurse, clique, etc. My main question is if mods are required now for raiding. My holy priest is 83 atm and I just wanted to know which mods I should grab before I start raiding.

It's been a while, I'm not even sure if the default WoW GUI has icons on which members have debuffs on, diseases, etc. Is the default WoW GUI enough or should I get something like Grid again? How many folks raid with the default GUI vs getting Mods?

Download mine!!!

joking Anyway, just try them and look if you're healing better with or without them. You can play fine with default UI, but you have room for improvement with addons.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Disc Priest here... Honestly, I only use:

- DBM or Big Wigs
    - Power Auras (tiny ones to show when some things are ready, very minimal usage)
    - Mouseover Macros for spells <- godsend

The standard Blizz UI and Raid Frames tells me what I need to know... can de-disease/de-magic people lightning quick... heal whoever immediately... all due to the mouseover macros which are amazing imo... (no need to click, weee!). Anyways, it works very well for me... and my game works fine on patch day. ;p

xo

I'm a Holy/Disc priest and love Grid+Clique I would go for them if your familiar with them already, also grab the Gridstatusraiddebuff and the RD grid debuff addon.

Yeah I've been trying to cut down on the number of mods I use, for reasons like patch day. My main issue at the moment is de-diseasing/de-magic-ing people in 5 man instances. I don't have access to the raid frames for 5 mans and it's annoying having to see the tiny icons to see which has what. Hopefully the raid frames are capable of showing that, I just never bothered to look at them as dps. I usually turn them off during a raid, and only have the tanks up.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can heal perfectly fine with the default raid frames (which you can turn on in 5 mans as well). I believe Kelesti does it: default UI and mouse-over macros. The default raid frames show everything you need to know.
    If you don't like the way they look or want something you can customize more there's Healbot, Vuhdo and Grid, which are the most popular raid frame add-ons.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2011-07-07 at 02:41 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin View Post
    Yeah I've been trying to cut down on the number of mods I use, for reasons like patch day. My main issue at the moment is de-diseasing/de-magic-ing people in 5 man instances. I don't have access to the raid frames for 5 mans and it's annoying having to see the tiny icons to see which has what. Hopefully the raid frames are capable of showing that, I just never bothered to look at them as dps. I usually turn them off during a raid, and only have the tanks up.
    The raid frames put a brown or a blue dot on someone on the top right corner of their bar if they have a disease/magic effect to be removed. But as Ynna said, these can now also be activated on party, with some configuring in your "raid profile" settings now.

I've been using these lovely things since 4.0 went out, with the exception of a week where I tried tukUI and didn't like it?

If anything, I might be getting Quartz back on my UI (a shame, I know) if only because Blizzard promised me a movable castframe for 4.2, and hiding it under my character pane does not count as "movable".
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Like others have said blizz frames are fine for healing. Personally I <3 Voodoo for healing because I like having nearly all my spells keybound and then all I have to do is hover over their frame to cast... I swear if I could us it for dps too I totally would.

Kel- are you asking us if you didn't like Tukui? o.O

I use Vuhdo also. The main reason being PW:S and DA.

You can set it up that the is a bar (in any location) that will tell you how long the DA is left on each target. Also shows how much PW:S is left and how long. Also you can set it up to show how much Weakend Soul is left (in a bar view).
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

I've always used a ui compilation pack (back in the day created my own) simply because I think the default bliz ui is ugly. I currently use ElvUI and love it. The important things I use for raiding/healing are:

Deadly Boss Mods
    RSA (spell announcer)
    Power Auras (cooldown/buff/debuff tracking)
    Grid with mana bars, side icons, corner icons, heal trace
    Quartz
    ForteXorcist cooldown bar
    Clique
    Mouseover macros for all of my heals.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Kel- are you asking us if you didn't like Tukui? o.O
    I'm trying to remember when that was that I tried tukUI.

I knew it was giving me nothing but consistent gross errors and blackouts (chat-log related DC's were frequent), and really, it gave me a lot of stuff I didn't need even when it was working fine. So, yeah, as fancy-shmancy as it is to have a compilation, it's nothing but a rearranging of data we already have. I like the basic UI, and gone are the days that we can say "omg u don't have addons ur bad", thankfully.

...I just wanted to move my freaking cast bar. Thanks a lot, Blizz.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~